Tattoo Question!!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I was kind of in this situation. My husband does not like tattoos. Pretty much at all, on anyone. I already had a small one on my stomach when we met, and he has always been vocal about not wanting me to get any more.

When I reached my goal weight, I decided that my old, faded, stretch-marked tattoo needed to be replaced (covered up) with a fresh new one.

I enlisted my husband to help me design it. I very very slowly got him used to the idea. I spent a long time finding just the right artist, and scheduled the appointment a long time in advance so he could slowly slowly get over it.

Now he's fine, and even considering getting one of his own.

Some people would just barrel ahead and do what they want, but I wanted to find a way to be kind about it. In the end, I did do what I wanted, but I was gentle about it so he would feel less discomfort. Because I love him.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    My husband doesn't like tattoos. I have one that I got before we were married and I would never have it removed, nor would he ask me to. If I planned to get inked again, I would consider the way he feels about it and probably not go forward with it. He means more to me than the tattoo.
    In that same regard, if he was going to get an eyebrow ring or cosmetic surgery, I would hope that he would take into consideration that I don't like either of those things.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    I would tell him oh well.... my latest one my hubby hates and makes fun of all the time...it doesn't matter to me i love it and that's all that matters.
  • k_sharp
    k_sharp Posts: 100 Member
    It depends, me personally I would take Into consideration if my husband didn't like it but if it was just my boyfriend I would do it! I got both of my tattoos when I was dating my ex and he didn't want me to get either I told him tuff it's my body! My husband on the other hand I would discuss it thoroughly with him and then decide. If he truly didn't like it I may negotiate to get it smaller or somewhere else. I plan to spend the rest of my life with him so I want him to find me attractive!
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    My OH doesnt like tattoo's but at the end of the day I like them and it;s my body so I have them done. Doesnt make me any less attractive and it's a little shallow saying to someone you would find them less attractive if tey went ahead and had one done!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    I agree, its your body.

I think it also depends on the SO. If I'd been with someone for 6 months and wasn't totally sure of the future plan and they tried to stop me...boo on them. If it had been years together etc, then why would they even care that much in the long run?
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 241 Member
    My husband doesnt like my tattoos or piercings. But he still loves me and finds me attractive. Its your body not theirs, do want you want!
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    I never ask. If i want a tattoo i get it. I assume to some that seems disrespectful, but if i were buying a house or a car then yes i would welcome their input....but something that is affordable and personal i just don't ask.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    My wife does not like back tattoos. so I dont have one there (My choice out of respect for her opinion). But she could care less where I put one. My next one is going on my inner calf to finish out a leg sleeve I've been working on.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Bahah. My step-dad's against tattoos, but my mom really wanted one. So she got it. Does it make her less attractive to him? No, he still thinks she's the hottest thing alive.
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    I think with everything else in a relationship, and in life, it's not black or white. You shouldn't completely disregard your S/O's feelings, but he shouldn't completely disregard your feelings, wants, needs, etc either. You should talk about it, find some common ground. Maybe he would like it if it was smaller, different location....
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    So basically your s/o is a "fair weather" love...any change and you're less attractive. I hope you and everything around you two have the ability to stay EXACTLY the way you are now or your s/o will be unhappy...

THIS HAS RED FLAGS WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    It depends on what your relationship means to the both of you. If it's something you've wanted for a long time, and it's truly significant to you, he should understand that. My tattoo was one I'd thought about and worked on for years. My BF said he doesn't like tattoos, but as long as I wasn't covering my entire body in ink, he really doesn't care. It's my body and it's ME who has to live with it the rest of my life. So he was good with it in the end. But I'm lucky, I have a really wise BF! :)
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    I just got a new one LAST NIGHT! (my profile pic)
    it is a remembrance tattoo for my father and brother who have both passed... it is my ACTUAL signature of my maiden name tattooed.
    ME PERSONALLY, I dont care one way or another what ANYONE says or thinks about them, they are FOR ME & ON ME..
    my bf met me AFTER I already had 2 and Ive gotten 4 since and another piercing. . theres not much he COULD say or do to STOP me.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    You're free to get the tattoo if you'd like it. He's free to leave when he doesn't like it. Doesn't make either of you bad people. Just incompatible.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    I would still get it......AND DID!!!! My hubby didn't want me to get a tattoo, but it was important to me to get something done to represent the many loved ones I have lost. After it was done, he was fine with it. He shouldn't love you for what you are on the outside, it's all about what's on the inside. I hope you get it.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    I would get it.......sure, take his feelings into consideration, but its still your body....
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    LMFAO.

Guess what...

ITS YOUR BODY.

If your s/o loves you then they will love you no matter what type of ink YOU decide to put on your body.

Been with my s/o for over 7 years.

60% of the tattoos on my body he DONT like but guess what... Its more about emotion then it is physical.

Thats just my opinion.

^^^
    This.

My boyfriend hates tattoo's in general, but he knows to never stop me from getting them. It should be about what makes you happy.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    If you really wanted to get a certain tattoo, I mean... you loved it and it had meaning… But your S/O doesn’t like it and told you it would make you “less attractive”… Would you still get it? OR Would you take your S/O’s feelings in account and not get it?

I'd get it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    If you're with someone that doesn't like them, but you do, I think there could be some fundemental problems there.

Things like that aren't important now, but could be later. If you get it in a place where its visible, or partially, even if its only sometimes, and he is embarrased by it and by being with you in public when its showing,, that is going to cause some serious tension.