Your overweight dr tells you to lose weight...respond ?

Options
124»

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I would tell the doc, "Thanks for doing you're job, but I'm not interested."

My brother is a respiratory therapist and used to smoke. A little hypocritical, don't you think?

Everybody's a hypocrite. Haven't you ever told someone they should do something that you don't do? Or had an ideal that you failed to uphold? Who CARES if it's hypocritical? He's helping other people. Good for him. It would be nice if he would take his own advice, but just because he doesn't, doesn't make the advice wrong.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    "Do as I say, not as I do." I used to work for doctors that were super ft; one biked miles and miles every day and the other worked out with a persona trainer every day. The nurses on the other hand were horribly out of shape (I love you girls if you're on MFP and reading this though.) I would have to hold back a laugh every time I heard them say something to patients about their weight.

But honestly, doctors and nurses have very high stress jobs and depending on what area they practice it's sometimes almost impossible for them to stay fit and active because they are working weird hours at the hospital or aswering calls at night or doing a 3 hour surgery that ends up running into their lunch.

I know, excuses, excuses. But you probably shouldn'tbe looking to other people and saying "I don't have to be fit because they aren't." It's very immature. You either want to be fit for yourself or not. That overweight doctor is well aware of the risk he is taking by being overweight just as you are.

At the end of the day you can decide not to take care of yourself but only you are responsible for dealing with the consequences, be it getting diagnosed with diabetes where you may get an infection and have to have your foot amputated or getting diagnosed with heart disease and having a heart attack or stroke at an early age or something as simple as being so out of shape that you cannot enjoy going out with your friends or playing with your kids or grandkids.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Fat doctors I can understand.

However, please explain to me a fat personal trainer.. this logic still boggles my mind. Your telling me to push hard while you sit back eating donuts and fried chicken :grumble:

If you actually see them eating this crap, I can kind of understand. However, if you assume they do this because they're not skinny, then I completely disagree and think you're jumping to conclusions. I have a friend who is an MMA enthusiast and a personal trainer, as well as several friends who are Shodans at my martial arts dojo and some of them do other types of fighting sports (boxing, MMA, etc) on the side, who would be considered "fat" if you were to see them on the street, and yet they're experts on fitness and weight control (and actually do follow their own advice; the personal trainer has lost something like 300lbs and had gotten into personal training because of his own journey).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Fat doctors I can understand.

However, please explain to me a fat personal trainer.. this logic still boggles my mind. Your telling me to push hard while you sit back eating donuts and fried chicken :grumble:

You do realize it's possible to gain weight while eating healthy foods, right?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The best lifting coach I've ever had had a big old pot belly, smoked, and hadn't pumped iron in something like 20 years. He had the look of your stereotypical lazy American, but damn if he didn't push me harder than I've ever been pushed and got me to put up the best numbers I've ever pulled.

The person who most helped me improve my skills at scrumming and clearing rucks (I played tight head prop) was a coach MAYBE 1/2 half my size who played fly half in his youth.

The two deadliest people I know (both at my dojo) are terribly unassuming. One is 5'10 and maybe 170lbs and the other is 5'2 and maybe 140. Neither look particularly strong or skilled at fighting, both are in their mid 40s, and both could kill me in under 3 seconds if they wanted to (I've been doing martial arts for going on 10 years now).

If I only took advice from people based on their looks, I'd be a lot less knowledgeable than I am now.