WOMEN! Please let me know your thoughts!

Options
Would like to know what sort of birth control you use and how you feel it has affected your weight and weight loss. I currently have Implanon (The implant) and am contemplating what difference it will make to my hormones/ metabolism/ weight and shape when or if I have it removed.

Your openness and experiences would be much appriciated :heart:

Replies

• sdcw
    sdcw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am Natazia and LOVE it, I haven't had major mood swings like I have had with other pills, also I haven't put on any additional weight on that one like I did with all the others.
  • famousa88
    famousa88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on Ocella ( generic YAZ), I haven't experienced any negative effects from it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Depo Provera (the shot). I ADORE it, but it is common for people to gain weight on it (I lost 5 pounds between my first two shots, which not typical).

Edited to add: what I love about it - no cramps, no PMS... no period for that matter. I had to go off of it once for a few months and was miserable. I forgot how horrible 7 days out of every month could be.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have my husband fixed. Works well and hasn't effected my weight at all.
  • sarahlynn88
    Options
    I'm on MarvelOn (birth control pill), and the only difference I noticed was a bit of breast growth. It hasn't affected my moods & I'm still consistently losing weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have my husband fixed. Works well and hasn't effected my weight at all.
    Lol I am surgically sterilized and very happy about it since every other methods with hormones made me really emotional.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I use the "no longer have a uterus" method. It's lovely.

No more TOM or, since my last one lasted for over 12 months, no more TOY (time of year).
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm on the pills. Something called Yasmine, should be without sideaffects. I haven't gained - nor lost though. I don't have breaks because of my pains, but they don't affect me at all.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I use the brand "If ya don't pull out, we're gonna have a kid!"

Best brand on the market......no baby weight!!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm on a pill called Brevinor. Was put on it because I was having really uncomfortable periods (once had to crawl into a ball in the middle of the kitchen floor while making lunch and had to be sent home from school once because of the pain).

Not really experienced significant weight changes. Still feel slight discomfort maybe once in the 3/4 days of my period, but nothing agonizing like before...
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I use the "no longer have a uterus" method. It's lovely.

No more TOM or, since my last one lasted for over 12 months, no more TOY (time of year).

Not gonna lie - I LOL'd! :-)
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    generic for yaz.. It's such a low dose hormone wise it doesn't bother my weight
  • leshana1
    leshana1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Well on Depo, I gained weight like it was nobodys business until I went off of it. I'll never go through that again.
    Never had an issue with weight gain on the pill and I don't know about the patch since I can't use it. (gives me hives)
    For now I'm sticking with celibacy until I can actually find a man of worth where I live. XD
  • el8942
    el8942 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take a generic form of Yaz, and actually lost several pounds without trying after being on it for about a month. My guess is that this was due to not being bloated and holding tons of water weight like I was without the hormonal regulation. :) I'm very happy with it. Good luck!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    nuva ring - used for nearly 10 years, felt amazing moodwise, had no issues 'forgetting' because it was only once a month thing, lost weight very easily, had lots of energy

lutera - totally horrible moods, very shell-like feeling, empty, almost numb emotions. weight loss completely stalled out (possibly due to my absolutely missing will power) used it for 6 months. not going back.

microgestin FE 1/20 - I don't feel as amazing as I did on nuva ring, but I feel 500% better than I did on Lutera. weight loss is happening again (again, cannot cause it only on the BC but also the moods and energy levels help me stay active) and this one has iron supplements on my week 'off' pills, so that is nice.

if I had the choice I would go back to nuva ring in an instant. but it is not covered on my clinics reduced price list and the choice of spending $7 on a month of BC and $55 on a month really made it so I had to lose the ring. I loved it.

ps. I do much better ON BC than off. Even when I wasn't in a relationship I took BC to stabilize my moods and regulate my monthlies. my moods are horrible on BC. they are catastrophic without it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    After 6 pregnancies and 4 kids, my factory is CLOSED.
  • beachlover718
    Options
    Seasonique- TOM is once every 3 months. I was a little nervous at first but I LOVE IT! no hormone fluctuations like on previous BCPs, it's same dose everyday for 3 months then one week off. have a day or two of the usual bloat and wt gain associated with TOM but since it's every 3 months i can deal with it. I did take a big break between my last BCP and this one- had two kids (pull out method + breast feeding resulting in #2 lol) prior to kids I tried to switch from one BCP to another with no break in between and I went CRAZY- seriously my hormones were so messed up I was certifiable!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Mirena - Love it, very few periods after initial 6 week spotting. 6 weeks of spotting is worth 4 years of no periods!
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Depo Provera (the shot). I ADORE it, but it is common for people to gain weight on it (I lost 5 pounds between my first two shots, which not typical).

This is why I am on MFP. I gained most of what I am trying to lose due to this shot. I also had a period that lasted 4 months.
    I personally would NOT recommend this.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    im on the depo shot and noticed no change in weight. ive been on it for a year. i been losing weight with no problem!