Are MY calories too low?! So confused :(

Options
2»

Replies

• caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    Have you calculated your TDEE and BMR? Try fat2fitradio.com if you have not. I have read to never net below your BMR and calculate your TDEE then subtract 15% to lose but make sure that 15% never gets below BMR.

I am 5'3. I am 139 as of this week. I did Insanity now, I am running and training for half marathon as well. Up until a week ago, I had MFP set to 1350 and I ate back every single exercise calorie. I have a HRM so I knew that was pretty accurate. My goal is 137. If I get to 135, I wont cry but I know that I look sorta gross at 130. I have a broad build and I am muscular. That's just me, I wear a size 4 now in most clothes. I have been losing 1 pound or more a week and never stalled.i have lost 19.6 total :)

It's so interesting how different weights work on different people, though we are the same height! You look fantastic at 139! I am also pretty athletic/muscular, but I have a small frame, so 125-130 looks best on me :) I wear a 6 now, but sometimes even 6 pants are tight (I am an apple shape). Anywho, good luck with your training and keep up the good work!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would add 300-400 more calories a day and see what happens.
  • caitles14
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone...I went to those sites and calculated my BMR which was 1426...I couldn't decided between lightly active & moderately active for my TDEE based on hours instead of days/week threw me off), so I decided to make my calorie goal in between those 2 categories...1765. Wish me luck!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Dead link, it brings you to the main forum page.

It brings you to the topics in that group - Eat More To Weigh Less:

Try this to join & check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You don't have much weight to lose, so you should be working with a small to moderate calorie deficit.
    So, I'd say, yes, it's pretty likely that they are too low.
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    Wow that is certainly an eye opener! For me, it says that to maintain my weight, I need 2973 calories per day. I have been going at 1200 calories for awhile and, I have also been stalled for awhile, right at 200 lbs:( I am going to do more reading on this. Thanks for sharing.
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    The problem is eating too low, below your BMR will slow your metabolism. It's possible to lose weight without eating so low. I did eat 1200 for a long time. But it got to the point where that was not enough, and I would really slow down on my losses. I am working my way up to my maintenance level then I will cut about 300 from food and 300 from exercise allowing for a one pound a week loss. I was still losing @1600 a day though so you don't have to eat 1200-1300 to lose weight.
  • MammaKess
    MammaKess Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree with cbbn11 ~ take a few days off and then start back. You may need the extra calories to get that confusion going and then drop back down. Also...how is your water intake? Water is a huge part of losing weight. Good luck! We know you can do it!!
  • caitles14
    Options
    I agree with cbbn11 ~ take a few days off and then start back. You may need the extra calories to get that confusion going and then drop back down. Also...how is your water intake? Water is a huge part of losing weight. Good luck! We know you can do it!!

Good point. My water intake is not the best, admittedly. I have a bad addiction to diet pop. I don't really believe in the whole 'diet pop makes you crave sugar so you eat more' theory, but I AM starting to cringe at the amount of chemicals/artificial crap I'm putting in my body, so I'm trying to work on drinking more water instead :)
  • mellymassacre
    mellymassacre Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    if you take in less than 1200 for a few days in a row, then your body will naturally assume there is a famine or food shortage and start storing as much fat and water weight as possible.
    I know you are eating more than 1200 already but I would try to eat 300-400 more than you already do because that may have happened.