What to do post-binge

Options
So yesterday, I had a bit of family drama which left me stressed/upset and so I turned to food for comfort - consuming way too many calories even for maintenance (i think the day was about 2500 in total)! I've been on track for a week now and so after yesterday, I'm feeling devastated that I undid my 6 days of hard work in under an hour. How do you guys cope with such relapses? In the past when it's happened, I've tried to cut back on calories the next few days so it would still balance out to a 1200 cal average for those days, but I don't think this is wise. Do you do the same? Do you work harder at the gym? Or do you just move on and treat the next day as if it were independent of the binge? I'd love to know, thanks :)!

Replies

• Amommymoose
    Amommymoose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just let it go in terms of what I eat/how I exercise, but focus on finding some coping mechanisms that MIGHT work next time... kwim? Trying to make up for it just makes me dwell on the fact that it happened. But that's me.

None of us is going to live a perfect life. If we can let it go and move on, I think that mentally, we're better off. And although MFP doesn't count mental state into the equation--it matters.

Hugs. Sounds like a rough day. Totally BTDT. And my poison is a nasty Dairy Queen sundae that is so big that I feel too full after eating the whole thing--but I somehow manage to do it. :blushing:
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for your reply! i think you're right... even thinking about cutting extra calories or having to stay longer at the gym the next couple of days makes me think "i could've avoided all this if i'd just not slipped up!" and wanna kick myself lol so i'm sure moving on is better than continuing to beat myself up over it, thanks!
  • Brahrker
    Brahrker Posts: 1
    Options
    You lack discipline.
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You lack discipline.

LOL, what a hilarious reply - thanks buddy! :)
  • Amommymoose
    Amommymoose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You lack discipline.

Wow... talk about judgment! Let he who is without fault cast the first stone!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, just get back on the horse. Try to find a different way to cope other than food.....not easy, but possible.
  • EL2EL1
    EL2EL1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life! I try to just move forward and not let it ruin the rest of the week. I sometimes try to have an extra glass of water a day for a few days and up the incidental exercise - park slightly further away or take the stairs etc.
  • kristimcb2605
    Options
    I totally understand!! But, let it go. Start your day fresh. Breathe in that you have a new day to start over. Don't cut back calories or torture yourself at the gym. This is just another way to beat yourself up and say "you are naughty." This is the little fear voice in you trying to take control. Don't let it win. Look at yourself and say "ah, a new day and I'm gonna make it." This isn't about being bad or good, about guilt or judgement. Let it go and keep moving forward. If you think (or know given family issues) that it will or might happen again, build some armor around you...others may call it coping skills....I personally like armor. Reach out to someone to either teach you or visit the local library/bookstore to pick up books on learning coping skills. I journal my issues (puke it on the paper is what I call it) and release it from my system. I carry little journals with me. I say what I need and then I let it go.

Good luck and be kind to yourself.... it helps in the end.

Kristi
  • kayd69
    kayd69 Posts: 29
    Options
    We are Human....If we were Perfect we wouldn't need MFP.....Tomorrow is a New day and I bet you will do Better,Don't let it get you down....get back up....Dust off....and go on... Good Luck tomorrow :-)
  • nightnurse2
    nightnurse2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!! But, let it go. Start your day fresh. Breathe in that you have a new day to start over. Don't cut back calories or torture yourself at the gym. This is just another way to beat yourself up and say "you are naughty." This is the little fear voice in you trying to take control. Don't let it win. Look at yourself and say "ah, a new day and I'm gonna make it." This isn't about being bad or good, about guilt or judgement. Let it go and keep moving forward. If you think (or know given family issues) that it will or might happen again, build some armor around you...others may call it coping skills....I personally like armor. Reach out to someone to either teach you or visit the local library/bookstore to pick up books on learning coping skills. I journal my issues (puke it on the paper is what I call it) and release it from my system. I carry little journals with me. I say what I need and then I let it go.

Good luck and be kind to yourself.... it helps in the end.

Kristi

Great advice!
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing that you can do is to not beat yourself up and move on. We are human and everyone has their days. Find a close friend that can keep you accountable. I am an ex emotional eater myself and still struggle and I feel that if I can talk though whatever is bugging me I am able to move ahead. I hope that helps a bit. This journey can be tough, but hang in there. You can do it !
  • EmmaLeeB94
    EmmaLeeB94 Posts: 9
    Options
    Remember, you have to eat 3500 calories ABOVE your maintenance calories to gain 1 pound.
    I binge at least once a week, and after two days I'm fine! Don't punish yourself, and go back to your normal routine. You'll feel better really soon!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days whether it is our relapse or just a situational day such as a vacation day. The key is to not allow it to become a lifestyle change. Just "admit it and quit it" and move on... Now, if you want to work an extra few minutes in the gym... maybe that won't hurt. But I really would not worry about it. It is one day.. Just don't let it become a week or a month... Actually, sometimes when I have what I feel is a "bad day" I show a significant LOSS of weight the next day... Sometimes these can actually be good for us.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    After a binge, I try to act like nothing happened.. If I kept thinking about it it would just turn into a vicious cycle of putting myself down and would lead to another binge, guilt, etc. So like I said, I quickly acknowledge what I've done, and move on..can't let that get in the way of reaching your goals. Besides, we can't be perfect all the time; everyone has their slip ups.

Just keep on, keeping on (:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just remember, tomorrow is always a new day. You can't change the past, but you can control the future. Put it behind you, and take it one day at a time :-)
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I take a long hot shower or bath when I'm upset. Get yourself some peppermint or other herbal oils, you'd be surprised how much smell can soothe you. I look forward to a hot shower every night now instead of snacking.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You lack discipline.

Says the person who joined MFP in Jan 2012 and only has 1 post count to show for the last 4 months.

Ignore this poster.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If you binge, move forward in a normal manner as you would have with your diet without binging. I've had 3,500-4,000+ calorie days occasionally and I've still lost weight and built muscles. One day is not every day. If it becomes every day, then you need to work more heavily on coping strategies.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just move on. You cannot change the past. Some days I live second by second. BUT the great thing is, all the people that have friended me have been wonderful supporters-they lift me up when I need it and they also kick my butt when I need it. Lean on your friends here for support! :flowerforyou:
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You lack discipline.

Says the person who joined MFP in Jan 2012 and only has 1 post count to show for the last 4 months.

Ignore this poster.

AGREED!!!