How far do you travel to go to the gym and workout???

Options

Replies

• muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    5 mins drive to the gym and 30 secs to the basement.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    0 travel time!

I walk to my laptop and look up a workout from one of the MANY workout sites I follow or I pop in Turbo Fire or some other DVD!

Once I move to a house I'll be making the garage into a gym so then I'll have to walk to my "gym" =P
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    5 minutes drive to Planet Fitness ! WHEW! It was either that, or a 15 minutes out-of-town drive to The Edge Fitness. I opted for the closest, obviously.
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    5-8 minutes depending on traffic
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The world is my gym and I can work out any time I like.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 15-20 mins away depending on traffic
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    About 15 minutes but before I learned how to drive... I had a gym membership and I would walk there and then work out and walk home. Now, that is crazy.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1 mile from my house, so a good 15 minute walk. If I go straight from work, which I usually do, then I stay on the bus for an extra couple stops. I take public transportation...one bus gets me to both work and the gym. I'm all for making it easy. Though it is hard some days to watch my "home" bus stop pass by. lol
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    300 yards to the Apt gym and 1 mile to lifetime fitness
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My gym is the open roads 75% of the time. 20% of the time it's my living room and the other 5% I walk to the gym in my community if I am forced to do a treadmill run or stationary bike.

Just curious, is it actually cheaper if you spend 60 minutes worth of gas getting there? And is it worth taking that time out of your day?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 3.5 miles (short jaunt on US Hwy 19 and then through a neighborhood and then a short stretch of a commercial-y road). I sometimes drive, and I sometimes walk depending on how much time I have and my mood... I also have some equipment at home on the days I just don't feel like going to the gym or it doesn't pan out. :)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I go to a new locally owned gym called Boom Fitness and it's about a 20-30 minute drive roundtrip. I JUST joined, and I was tentative about joining a gym that was seemingly so far away, but it's closer to my job so I might stop by after work every day.. we'll see how that goes lol
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely fortunate I have a gym located in my office building for indoor cardio and lifting, and the building also backs up to a river trail for outdoor runs.

At home I run outside, and we also have a small weight set and bench, and a treadmill we found on the curb :)

If I had to drive 30 min I'd never go, it has to be super convenient for me. This way I have no excuses.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Craigslist/Pennysaver equipment (at least until our tax refund when we upgraded to a olympic weight bar and starter plates).
  • crystalmoon66
    crystalmoon66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,I currently have two workout places,one in the early morning for bootcamp,takes me about 20mins to get there which is good.Love the group I train with so worth the travel,traffic is light at that time,so fantastic.My alternate day evening session are across town in peak hour traffic takes me approx 40-50mins to get there sometimes an hour if really heavy.Great price as well as awesome crowd and trainer so dont mind sitting in traffic to get there.I do the same session on a Saturday morning,only takes 15mins to drive the same route.I used to think people were crazy driving across town to get somewhere to exercise,but can understand it better now,when you find something that works for you,why wouldnt you do it.have a great evening all.:):)

Edited to add,my husband has a gym set up at home in the garage which I hate using,need to learn how to put all the bits together and he's so fussy about his machine,so have found something to works for me.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I live in BFE so none nowhere, well somone just put in a small one with 3 tread mils and jump ropes and some weights. I have that at home plus the pool and the garden bike, videos, and a nice paved street. So, I just hang out in my living room, walk in the neighborhoods work out side. I would love to have a gym worth, going to :happy:
  • skoblinka
    skoblinka Posts: 22
    Options
    The only way i can forse myself to work out is if i have literally 0 travel time. So now i'm fortunate, because I can go to the gym at my university and do some group fitness there in the lunch hour. This is so convenient! I had a membership to another gym years ago, but could never drag myself there (about 20 minute walk). =(
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    10 mins max depending on traffic
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    About 10 paces from where I'm sitting. It's a bit further of a walk if I have to go upstairs and change first :)
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    10 miles, but the trainer doesn't charge me, the monthly dues are $16.25 and I can watch the welterweights work out for free.