Do you eat just before bed?

Options
2»

Replies

• islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I usually save about 300 cals to eat right before I go to bed...otherwise I'm hungry and can't sleep.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have very often my biggest meal just 1 h before I go to bed.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been known to consume up to 1000 of my daily calories anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour before I go to bed. I've lost 56lbs and kept it off since Sept 2010.

Your body doesn't stop working simply because you go to bed. For most people, it isn't about WHEN they eat, it is WHAT they are eating. Ask most people and they'll tell you they had ice cream, chips, cookies, etc before they went to bed. Those items pushed them over their daily calories and that is why they gained weight. Also, if you suffer from acid indigestion (I have GERD, but take medication for it) eating and then going to lay down can cause some stomach issues.

If I try and go to bed without eating, I'll wake in the middle of the night starving and when this happens? I eat crap food. Better to eat something decent before bed.

I aso eat quite a bit before bed (I often have about 1/3 of my daily calorie allowance from snacking between 7 and 11.30 at night AND it is not always things I should be eating) I have had to go to bed early sometimes just to stop eating! However I do eat within my calorie allowance most days (MFP has helped a lot with this) and I have still lost weight.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Dinner, or a protien shake with strawberries.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I try to eat dinner earlier if possible... but I do find I usually end up snacking later on sometimes anyway... so lately since I'm not getting home til 7:30-8ish, I am eating late-ish like 8-8:30ish and I usually go to bed around between 9:30-10:30pm. But I have always had in my head to try and have dinner before 7:30pm and not to eat after 8:30pm - for some reason!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your heart needs a rest at bedtime, that's why you sleep. It's very dangerous to put your heart through all that work, it's like overtime for your system. Very bad idea....2 hours - not so bad....but of curse it depends on what it is...

Disagree completely...... I am a type 2 diabetic for one and can not go till morning without eating something, When I first started this journey and was eating bad and didn't have my sugar under control I would have that dreaded crash at 3 in the mornin (blood sugar in the 40's and would be awaken by it and have to go to the kitchen of Juice or something) but over time I learned to regulate it with food and exercise. There is no set time on when you have to eat your calories. Everyone may choose different methods but it is a myth that you have to stop eating 3- 4 hours before bed. The only people that this my hold truth to are those with acid reflux problems which I for one am not.. I am currently eating 3200-3400 calories a day to lose 1/2 lb. a week (working on my last 10-15 lbs.) so every night I take a glass of 1% chocolate milk (300 calories), 24 Almonds (130 calories), and 1 cup of Kelloggs Crave Double Chocolate cereal dry (160 calories) this is my in bedtime snack every night, I use to do other combo's but this one is my favorite cause it curbs my chocolate cravings and I have managed to lose a few pounds doing this, as long as you are hitting your caloric goals for the day, eat whenever you feel it works best for your body...... Best of Luck....
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Your heart needs a rest at bedtime, that's why you sleep. It's very dangerous to put your heart through all that work, it's like overtime for your system. Very bad idea....2 hours - not so bad....but of curse it depends on what it is...

Disagree completely...... I am a type 2 diabetic for one and can not go till morning without eating something, When I first started this journey and was eating bad and didn't have my sugar under control I would have that dreaded crash at 3 in the mornin (blood sugar in the 40's and would be awaken by it and have to go to the kitchen of Juice or something) but over time I learned to regulate it with food and exercise. There is no set time on when you have to eat your calories. Everyone may choose different methods but it is a myth that you have to stop eating 3- 4 hours before bed. The only people that this my hold truth to are those with acid reflux problems which I for one am not.. I am currently eating 3200-3400 calories a day to lose 1/2 lb. a week (working on my last 10-15 lbs.) so every night I take a glass of 1% chocolate milk (300 calories), 24 Almonds (130 calories), and 1 cup of Kelloggs Crave Double Chocolate cereal dry (160 calories) this is my in bedtime snack every night, I use to do other combo's but this one is my favorite cause it curbs my chocolate cravings and I have managed to lose a few pounds doing this, as long as you are hitting your caloric goals for the day, eat whenever you feel it works best for your body...... Best of Luck....

I agree totally with you about the diabetic part of it....no arguments there at all...still I say it depends on what you eat....a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, a SNACK, sure.....what I meant was having a big Mac combo and going to bed....
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I do quite frequently. Unless you experience indigestion there is no reason to stop eating at a certain time each day. As long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless of what time you eat.