Peanut butter: Good for you or "junk food"....?

Options

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've also switched my kids to this (they get a PB&J for lunch once a week for a treat) and there have been no complaints. A no-salt-added version is also available.

Once a week as a "treat?" So glad you're not my mom...

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't wanna be the one to say it! lol
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat it....a lot. Definitely not junk food.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Get peanut butter that doesn't have a ton of ingredients.
    ideally the label should say

ingredients: peanuts

^This! I love it so very much and generally have something peanut buttery every day.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've also switched my kids to this (they get a PB&J for lunch once a week for a treat) and there have been no complaints. A no-salt-added version is also available.

Once a week as a "treat?" So glad you're not my mom...

That's not very nice
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's tasty, and not bad for you. I prefer the natural, like most people here seem to think.
    It must be measured, which can be problematic getting all of it out of the measuring spoon.
    Helpful hint: lick the spoon. Nobody will judge you for it.

LOL! I have thought the same thing. That's why I don't use my measuring spoons for PB... I just use a regular spoon and "guesstimate."
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love it!! Not junk as long as it's natural and no sugar in the ingredients, peanuts and salt only.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't get the *kitten* with trans-fats I would consider it healthy. Most brand name peanut butter has trans-fats and a bunch of additive. Try looking for ones where ingredients are just peanuts, to get the healthiest version.

You mean like this?

http://www.smuckers.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupId=2&categoryId=11&flavorId=66
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It is a good filling food. I would suggest following the serving sizes though. I have been having 1-2tbsp/day.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter (the kind that says Ingredients: Peanuts) is basically a protein shake delivered by mother nature herself. I'm not saying you want to eat a lot of it, but it's a cheap and calorie-dense rich source of a balance of fats and a good dose of protein. If you enjoy it, fit a couple of teaspoons into your diet. It's a nutritional gift that keeps on giving.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I get it ground fresh from my gorcery store. That way I know exactly what is in it. I average about a tablespoon a day if I had to guess.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Get peanut butter that doesn't have a ton of ingredients.
    ideally the label should say

ingredients: peanuts

This. It is high in fats but typically good ones so it still helps you feel full. Peanut butter and banana sandwich is great after a workout.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's healthful junk food. Try PB2 defatted peanut flour which makes a nice peanut spread that is low in calories.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a problem getting in enough calories in a day. When I am out of the normal healthy snacks that I eat, I turn to a Tablespoon or 2 of peanut butter to help me out.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I eat it daily for the most part. Either on a piece of toast, in oatmeal, or as a dip for my apples. Not that hard to fit into my calories (1650), full of healthy fats, and an okay source for that last bit of protein.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    peanuts and i are locked in a fairly epic battle. they keep trying to kill me. so while i won't say that they're "junk food" i WILL say that they are "evil legumes of DEATH"
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    It's good junk! lol I eat Naturally More and Jif Natural. I'm going to be trying PB2 soon since it's only 45 calories for 2 tbsp but you have to mix it with water, I'm willing to try for the low calories! I LOVE peanut butter, also eat it every day! It's either that or Nutella LOL
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I make my own (and hate every other "natural" brand now) and eat it every morning in my oatmeal. NOM!

Mmmm I want to try this!!! What do you use, a food processor?
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter and find that the 2 tbsp serving is more than enough for me, but I agree, soooo many calories for that little scoop! Love it on rice cakes, on my apples and in my smoothies :-)
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, but the calories did not fit into my diet... so one of my MFP friends turned me on to a product called PB2. This is the best. It is peanut butter powder that you mix yourself. It only has 3 ingredients, roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt. It only has 45 calories in a 2 tbsp serving vs. peanut butter that has 180 calories for the same amount. Seriously, try it. You can order it off Amazon or direct from the mfg or look at your local health food stores. Once you try it, you will never go back!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much of it you tend to eat. In proper portions its fine, a healthy fat, and protein source. I chose natural PB when I can so its not salty or sweet and I don't crave extra one serving is enough.