Im extremly discouraged because of my MFPfriend/Spouse.

Options
I wanna know if im being too sensitive or if others would feel the same..
Im on a weightloss journey trying to lose 30lbs. As a women whos had kids and never got the weight off right away as some of you know its not easy, it takes a lot with results that just take forever, its a slow process.
My husband started out with me with about 12-15lbs to lose, he was never fat a day in his life just trying to get in better shape and be at a more comfortble weight, well of corse hes a guy and hes pretty active the weight fell off of him hes already reached his goal and still logs and excercises to "mantain"...understandable. However hes at the point where he literally eats an 18oz steak and drinks 6 beers on a saturday night and nothing changes, but he still logs it. Me...i eat a peice of bread i shouldnt and gain five pounds overnight(not literally,you know what i mean). Now im not jealous its not jealously im feeling im proud of him for working hard to get to where he wanted to be, im extremly discouraged when i feel like i kill myself working out and watching carefully what i eat and nothing changes for me. Its irritating to me hes fit and healthy and still feels the need to log it and have positive things to say to other ppl hes friends with (who are also very fit) but doesnt comment on my activity when i feel like i did well. Im discouraged i just feel like im never doing good enough, if he can do it why cant I? I just basically feel like hes being a showoff ,hes sucessful he knows it.. i know it and to me its just being rubbed in my face. He knows i feel this way and just says "sorry, im not trying to be a showoff". When its affecting your mental state and motivation and making you feel bad about yourself, my question is would you delete them off MFP even if it was your spouse? and how would you feel if you were in my situation?

Replies

• Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get the whole "guys lose weight easier/quicker, etc. and it blows" mentality. It would be extremely frustrating, especially if said male is your spouse. That being said, however, and the place you need to get to is that this is a personal "journey" and you cannot and should not compare yourself with anyone. By making comparisons, especially with someone who is losing quicker than you, you're going to be discouraged and give up altogether. Rather, focus on YOUR progress: how you're feeling, how far you've come, etc. and use that as a motivator. This is a mental game. You can do it! Just keep your focus inward. :)
  • thechunkydrummer
    Options
    My partner is the same... She seems to be able to eat anything and still be trim

I guess the only way is to remember that everyone is different, different metabolic rates and different tenancies to retain weight and although it doesn't feel fair when your eating brown rice and aching from a workout and they are watching TV eating ice cream it's just another thing to beat.

Hang in there dude! It will be all the sweeter when you get to your goal :bigsmile:
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I get the whole "guys lose weight easier/quicker, etc. and it blows" mentality. It would be extremely frustrating, especially if said male is your spouse. That being said, however, and the place you need to get to is that this is a personal "journey" and you cannot and should not compare yourself with anyone. By making comparisons, especially with someone who is losing quicker than you, you're going to be discouraged and give up altogether. Rather, focus on YOUR progress: how you're feeling, how far you've come, etc. and use that as a motivator. This is a mental game. You can do it! Just keep your focus inward. :)

Thank you for the encouragement i know i shouldnt compare to anyone, everyone knows its easier for men than women it sucks but thats just how it is. I literally feel stupid for letting his success bug me, like i said i just feel like i log into MFP and its in my face his encouragment to other fit friends and his loss of another lb he didnt even need to lose. I try to keep up with his workouts and i just cant my body doesnt work like his. If it was any random person i wouldnt even give it a thought but because its my husband it just makes me feel discouraged.
  • thechunkydrummer
    Options
    Oh and I'm a guy... I'm not sure if I'm likely to lose it easier or not... Honestly, I don't care... It's coming off either way!

BEAST MODE!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, but you really can't compare yourself and your weight loss with anyone else's. Stay focused on your own. If what you are doing isn't working, alter your tactics. You CAN do it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Yes ^^^ Very well put.
  • amylynn96
    Options
    Oh and I'm a guy... I'm not sure if I'm likely to lose it easier or not... Honestly, I don't care... It's coming off either way!

BEAST MODE!

haha BEAST MODE

Gotta admit i like that a guy can relate usually its the other way around.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If it will make YOU feel better, just delete him. It's mfp, it;s not a huge deal to delete someone you look at every single day, lol. You also can just hide him from your newsfeed... but don't forget, you might be his best support. Don't let his success keep you from finding your own!

My husband also loses weight "easily" and I seem to gain lbs just thinking about food- so I can understand what you're saying.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    well at least your partner isn't trying to GAIN weight.

My boyfriend is trying to gain weight because he can't seem to keep on weight and therefore eats everything in sight including fast food, soda and cookies/candy/sweets.

it is SOOOOOOO frustrating. I'm over here working my butt off to look good and it seems like I have one bad weekend and gain 4 pounds where if he doesn't eat the proper amount he LOSES weight, without even trying. GAH.
  • amylynn96
    Options
    I hear you all loud and clear dont worry about his success and dont compare yourself to anyone else. BUT its my dang husband hes with me every single day we both only workout out at home, we eat the same things, how could you not?? if it was anyone else i wouldnt compare or let it get to me but its in my face all the time :frown:
  • shimewazaMan
    shimewazaMan Posts: 413
    Options
    I don't think I could word it better than Starsighter78 did. The only thing I can add is something I read in another post on this site. It has helped me stay focused even when the scale seems to be "stuck" despite my best efforts. Try not to focus on the end goal being weight loss. The end goal should be improving your health and fitness levels in which case there isn't really ever a finish line! If you are in better shape this week than you were last week (and "in better shape" does not necessarily equal "weigh less"), you are doing good! I may not currently weigh what a few months ago I was hoping I would weight at this point or look like I was hoping to look. But I am in SOOOOOOO much better shape! I sparred with a semi-pro fighter last week. There is NO WAY I could have done that a month ago! In its own way, stuff like that is just as gratifying as seeing the reading on the scale go down. I hope this helps some!
  • amylynn96
    Options
    well at least your partner isn't trying to GAIN weight.

My boyfriend is trying to gain weight because he can't seem to keep on weight and therefore eats everything in sight including fast food, soda and cookies/candy/sweets.

it is SOOOOOOO frustrating. I'm over here working my butt off to look good and it seems like I have one bad weekend and gain 4 pounds where if he doesn't eat the proper amount he LOSES weight, without even trying. GAH.

yeah that must be frusterating. Last weekend for mothersday we both had a "cheat day" he made me a chicken broc fettachine alfredo, BAD BAD BAD, but we just wanted to let it go for one night, well over the corse of 3 days i gained 5 lbs because of it i swear to god i even paid for it afterwoods and it didnt matter for me, there was no other reason why i wouldve gained like that. oh and i had only eaten half a serving when he ate a whole and ate it again for leftovers, go figure no change.GRRR
  • girlwithgoldeneyes
    girlwithgoldeneyes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My husband and I are doing the weight loss journey together as well. He is like your husband, always was fit and just wants to get back in fit shape. I am like you, I struggle with my weight loss and am looking to loose about 80 lbs. He is dropping weight (without much of a change), and I am working my tail off and eating healthy and I am GAINING! How is that fair?!?!?! I can understand how you are feeling, as I am feeling that way right now too. (although hubby is not making a "show" of his weight loss) I would suggest deleting him or modifying (if you can) what posts you see from him. It isnt about what he has done or what he is doing, it is about you. If you feel that seeing his posts are getting you down and making you feel bad, I would do what it takes to not see them. Get friends on MFP that are supportive and that do recognize the hard work you are putting in (I know it isnt easy), but first and for most have faith in yourself! You can do this! You can get healthy! The numbers on the scale dont mean as much as your health. So while you continue to make your body healthier and better by healthy eating habits and exercise he is feeding his body trash which in the long run will catch up to him. Stay strong!
    ~Christi
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should not be friends with him on MFP. If it's messing with your head, just eliminate seeing his MFP activity.
  • amylynn96
    Options
    Hello,
    My husband and I are doing the weight loss journey together as well. He is like your husband, always was fit and just wants to get back in fit shape. I am like you, I struggle with my weight loss and am looking to loose about 80 lbs. He is dropping weight (without much of a change), and I am working my tail off and eating healthy and I am GAINING! How is that fair?!?!?! I can understand how you are feeling, as I am feeling that way right now too. (although hubby is not making a "show" of his weight loss) I would suggest deleting him or modifying (if you can) what posts you see from him. It isnt about what he has done or what he is doing, it is about you. If you feel that seeing his posts are getting you down and making you feel bad, I would do what it takes to not see them. Get friends on MFP that are supportive and that do recognize the hard work you are putting in (I know it isnt easy), but first and for most have faith in yourself! You can do this! You can get healthy! The numbers on the scale dont mean as much as your health. So while you continue to make your body healthier and better by healthy eating habits and exercise he is feeding his body trash which in the long run will catch up to him. Stay strong!
    ~Christi

Ty so much for that Christi, i think that might also be part of the issue is that i really only have him and a few other family memebers on my MFP friends i dont have really anyone in my shoes for friends. I dont get very much motivation or "hey great job today!!" on my activity. i think i may just figure out a way to hide his activity or just delete him all together if its affecting how im feeling about my journey and my motivation then its in my best interest to and i would hope he'd understand that.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way... When you get to your goal- you'll know you had to work that much harder and you should be that much more PROUD of yourself.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    men loose faster and easier than women. its those hormones and our ability to store that fat so we can breast feed our babies. I am at it alone, my husband is itty bitty small peteite frame. Thank goodness kids took after him. So, they have all the junk food and crap they can eat all day. If I just watch them eat it I gain the weight. Think of it this way, if you lost it and he didnt wouldnt you want to be proud and not gloat but be proud and say look what I accomplished. I am here with you its not fair that its so hard to do it. I have lost 50 and have about 40 more to go. It's frustrating to say the least. hang in there. I get frustrated at those people who lose 60 or 70 in a year and I am at year 2 only at 50.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow this is tough. Well, firstly, I've never been the type to compare myself to any person (man or woman) so I'm never discouraged based on how someone else progresses or looks. My motivation is strictly from myself, and that's for many things in my life, not just weight loss. Therefore, I cannot relate to you when you have these thoughts about your mate.

What I can say is that this is YOUR journey, therefore you need to do what helps you to succeed, no matter what it takes. I doubt he's showing off (probably just much more confident than before) but if it might help you *mentally* to delete him off your friends list, I say do it. Talk to him about it first, rationally, about why you're making that decision and I'm sure he'll understand.

You can't help the way you feel and any adjustments you can make in your life and on MFP, you should do if you think it'll encourage you better.

I wish you well in reaching your future goals!:flowerforyou:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Been there! However, here's one of the great things about getting older (in my 50s) - my husband's metabolism is also slowing down. He's just realizing it. He still wants to eat like he's an 18-year-old athlete, but now he carries it around with him and looks six months pregnant all the time. After 36 years of marriage, I'm now the one who looks more fit! Of course, I'm working on him to eat healthier and get more exercise. I'd like him to stick around a long time yet.
  • amylynn96
    Options
    Wow this is tough. Well, firstly, I've never been the type to compare myself to any person (man or woman) so I'm never discouraged based on how someone else progresses or looks. My motivation is strictly from myself, and that's for many things in my life, not just weight loss. Therefore, I cannot relate to you when you have these thoughts about your mate.

What I can say is that this is YOUR journey, therefore you need to do what helps you to succeed, no matter what it takes. I doubt he's showing off (probably just much more confident than before) but if it might help you *mentally* to delete him off your friends list, I say do it. Talk to him about it first, rationally, about why you're making that decision and I'm sure he'll understand.

You can't help the way you feel and any adjustments you can make in your life and on MFP, you should do if you think it'll encourage you better.

I wish you well in reaching your future goals!:flowerforyou:

ty for that. i do really appreciate the advice from you all. I feel so so stupid for letting this bother me but im human and its just how it makes me feel. I need more friends and better motivation.