What do you do when you just want to SNACK?

Options

Replies

• meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead your meals and snacks, it really helps and takes your mind off food for the rest of the day. Then when your having your meals/snacks you're really just fueling your body and enjoying the experience.

I plan in calories for my treats and exercise more if I know that I want to induldge. If you have a dire craving you can't get over unexpectedly, give in and have some of the treat/junk food you're craving. If having the treat makes you go over on your calories you can always burn it off with some exercise.

Good luck!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There are a few things I do. Water is always good to suppress your appetite. Almonds are a good source of protein. Apples are rich in fiber and make you feel fuller.
  • angelrock
    angelrock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Check out my Tip of the Day today on snacking very helpful!!!

Http://newfoundhealthylifestyle.blogspot.co.uk
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    protein, then some protein, and maybe some protein. natrual pnut butter on celery, or half an apple, or light laughing cow cheese traingle on a organic sprouted bread or cracker. Almonds, walnuts.....sometimes a glass of red wine.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I snack! But on something sensible like the Kellog's Special K products or finely chopped up fruits like apples and pears (so that you think you are getting more).
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I try and drink more water and I snack on almonds. I put out a serving in front of me and slowly get through it throughout the afternoon.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    protein, then some protein, and maybe some protein. natrual pnut butter on celery, or half an apple, or light laughing cow cheese traingle on a organic sprouted bread or cracker. Almonds, walnuts.....sometimes a glass of red wine.
    Yes and have some more protein
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,158 Member
    Options
    I have days when nothing I seem to do satisfies. I could eat thing after thing just hoping something will *hit the spot* as we use to say. I must say I don't know how to stop this. I try to get my mind off my discontent. I have resorted to cleaning a closet on the second floor of my house away from all food sources.......
  • melissaeich20
    melissaeich20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and drink a glass of water.

Good for hydration, good for your teeth, zero calories, and cuts cravings.

Admittedly I learned this from a pro-ana website, but hey, it works.

Works every time!
    Also check out some fitspo tumblr blogs.

This what I do at night. Once I know I've ate all my calories for the day..I brush my teeth. Otherwise I will find chocolate :ohwell:
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    I know...sometimes I get like that, especially on the weekends when I have more "free time." I say that in quotes because I'm a full time working Mom, so I ALWAYS have something to do. To me, I feel like I want to reward myself with snacks or de-stress with them, so I try to find other ways to meet those needs to relax or reward myself. I also try to keep busy, whether it be work or fun activities/working out, etc, because I find that I'm much more prone to snacking like that on the weekends. I know a lot of people have already said it, but drinking plenty of water really does help, and I have a mantra, "fruit is your friend." Corny but true...I tend to want to snack on junk when I haven't been eating enough of the good stuff. A trip to the produce section may be just the thing for you the next time you're wanting to snack.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some days I get the munchies and just snack all day long and never have an actual meal. I don't necessarily have more calories than when I eat a big meal, though. Sometimes it might be more, but not always. And I try to keep it pretty healthy with the snacks, though on these days I'll usually have a lot more carbs than usual. But I'm usually way under the carb goal, so that's okay.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I will try a cup of coffee first...if it doesn't go away, I will add a protein bar, or something similar...fruits never work for me.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I snack, but I've converted my eating habits to "small, frequent meals". You can also try snacking on some veggies.

Another great idea that a friend mentioned is cinnamon gum. It's kept me away from a lot of "pizza parties" at work because the cinnamon taste and smell is enough to drown out even the aroma of pizza.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    PS: Thirst and hunger are often confused, especially when you start dieting. You may be thirsty. Drink a glass of water.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    For all of those people who think they are being cutesy with thier rude responses, she is not asking about having just a snack, she is asking about snackING. Like, when you want to just snack on *kitten* all day. Why don't you actually try understanding the question and reading before you type your idiot responses?!?!?

THANK YOU!! I could seriously cry sitting here reading all the rude comments. I'm looking for a little support. :/ OBVIOUSLY I know to eat healthy food. OBVIOUSLY I know to drink water. I OBVIOUSLY know that if I'm hungry I should eat and not starve myself. I'm doing everything right. Seriously. I'm asking about getting "the munchies" or feeling like eating a bunch of total crap just because it tastes good. Is everyone making these lovely comments immune to that feeling? Do you honestly not get what I'm talking about? Congrats on your awesomeness. Wow..
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For all of those people who think they are being cutesy with thier rude responses, she is not asking about having just a snack, she is asking about snackING. Like, when you want to just snack on *kitten* all day. Why don't you actually try understanding the question and reading before you type your idiot responses?!?!?

THANK YOU!! I could seriously cry sitting here reading all the rude comments. I'm looking for a little support. :/ OBVIOUSLY I know to eat healthy food. OBVIOUSLY I know to drink water. I OBVIOUSLY know that if I'm hungry I should eat and not starve myself. I'm doing everything right. Seriously. I'm asking about getting "the munchies" or feeling like eating a bunch of total crap just because it tastes good. Is everyone making these lovely comments immune to that feeling? Do you honestly not get what I'm talking about? Congrats on your awesomeness. Wow..

I agree - sarcasm isn't what you were looking for. Speaking from experience, it isn't boredom, it isn't hunger, it is a CRAVING that you cannot control. I have often felt like an alcoholic who is CRAVING a drink. It is very real. Do not beat yourself up. I don't believe that you can control them but over time can minimize them by NOT feeding them and learning how to deal with them. And I believe that is what you were asking for advice on - how to deal with them. I decided to "treat" myself one night this week and had WAY too much bread and butter with my steak. It created a downward spiral of cravings the next day (yesterday) that led me to an Oreo McFlurry, some Famous Amos cookies, banana nut bread, etc., etc., I couldn't stop. I wasn't HUNGRY or BORED. My body was screaming at me for this junk that my head knows isn't good for me.

Today is a new day. I'm starting over and will fight the urge a little harder next time by reminding myself how miserable I was when I gave in this last time.

Look into Food Addicts Anonymous and they can give you some info about how certain foods cause you to crave more junk foods.

Keep taking one day at a time.
  • holly2234
    holly2234 Posts: 37
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! This is only day 1 of my diet (have been here before but started just before christmas which didnt end up working!) So now im back and the urge to eat chocolate was just overwhelming earlier. A glass of water didnt help, even after i ate my dinner it didnt go away so i had some...

My plan is to snack on some of the healthier things that still satisfy those cravings, ive got some weight watchers chips and cakes and things for those moments.

We are at the same weight right now and have the same goal weight! So feel free to add me if you like :) Good luck!
  • Bubu20
    Bubu20 Posts: 24
    Options
    i drink water, or eat a fruit
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Sorry you got suuch rude sarcastic responses but I know EXACTLY the feeling you are talking about! I really don't know the answer so if you figure it out let me know. I don't think cheat meals are the answer (for me) because then I spiral out of control. Doing something else never helps me either because like you said you are not hungry you just want to eat something because it tastes good.

We are supposed to be here to support each other not putting them down for asking a question.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I snack.