Sweet, filling, and not a lot of calories?

My fiance is trying to lose some weight, but his favorite snacks are Pop Tarts and cookies. Does anyone have suggestions for snacks that don't have a ton of calories, are filling, and will also satisfy his sweet tooth? Purchasable snacks and homemade recipes would both be really useful. Thanks!

Replies

• claren1978
    claren1978 Posts: 15
    Try a tray bake. I also love chocolate and have a sweet tooth and my PT introduced me to this:

Bran flakes or granola
    Dried Fruit
    Nuts
    Your favourite chocolate melted and used to stick together - I use 70% Cocoa Green & Blacks

Once mixed together you can either pop in a baking tray then put in the fridge to harden or put in seperate cupcake holders so you can estimate calories more easily. Just keep track of what you put in calorie wise to the mixing bowl and then you can work out portion size.

My portions average at 100-150 cals and curb the sugar cravings since I get my fav chocolate along with fibre, fruit and nuts. Sweet tooth defeated - EASY!!
  • Fruits are good choices - Bananas, Sliced Apples, Grapes, Clementines and Berries

If I want something sweet and carbohydrate-y I sometimes make toast on something low-cal like weight watchers bread, thinly sliced sandwich loaf, or dempsters bodywise bagels and then top with:
    -a thin layer of margarine, tsp of sugar and a lot of cinnamon
    -peanutbutter (thinly spread) and banana slices
    -a wedge of laughing cow cheese or cream cheese and low-sugar jam

Low fat yogurt with a sprinkle of granola or nuts and fruit (frozen works well) on top is good to, as are a lot of the low-sugar mostly-fruit popsicles.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    I like to combine raisins or craisins and peanuts. As long as you watch the serving size, it can be sweet, salty and the fat in the peanuts makes it satisfying.

You (or he) could make a healthy banana, zucchini, pumkin (etc) bread or muffins and throw in some chocolate chips.

Or some low fat granola can be satisfying as long as you watch the serving size.

I like peanut butter with graham crackers, especially chocolate ones.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    I have an enormous sweet tooth so I can relate. I am in love with skinny cow ice cream (mostly because it comes in prepackaged servings). If he likes bananas, try a frozen banana with white or dark chocolate chips (it is supper sweet). Dark chocolate is also good, the more coco the better. I try ones that have at least 70% coco, it taste so rich I can't do more than a square or two. You are fabulous for helping him out.
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 221 Member
    I'm just a fan of apples. Love apples. Also, I've been eating a lot of Dannon Light & Fit yogart, 80 cals and it's pretty freakin' good. I'm particularly fond of the pineapple coconut. Tastes like a pina colada.
  • jfields42
    jfields42 Posts: 27
    if I get a sweet tooth I eat 5 fruit snacks after putting them in the freezer. It isn't healthy but it is only 4- calories and shouldn't hurt in the long run.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Clif Bars come in a ton of different flavors, from Chocolate Chip to White Chocolate Macadamia. They have the consistency of an oatmeal cookie and they are really good! Best of luck!!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    bump
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Our local grocery store sells these things, kinda like rice cakes but way less carbs, they are called Coco Pop, and I take that and a spreadable swiss cheese wedge by laughing cow , and sliced fruit on top, its really yummy! Great little snack!
  • - grapes
    - pineapples
    - 90% chocolate (healthy fat and one 58 kcal square is always enough for a hardened chocoholic like me!)
    - one square 70+% chocolate topped with 1 tsp sugar-free PB
    - snack-size raisin box

AVOID dried fruit and sweetened nuts as the serving sizes are very small and it's so easy to much away 300kcal+ of dried mango without even knowing it (as I well know ...) Look in the kiddie section in the supermarket for "lunchbox sized" portions that are reasonable - eg. Tescos do "lunchbox sized" mini apples and clementines that are a small and portioned way to get a sweet fix :)

(I eat 100% clean, so I don't eat sweetened "diet" goods loaded with artificial sugars.)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Clif Bars come in a ton of different flavors, from Chocolate Chip to White Chocolate Macadamia. They have the consistency of an oatmeal cookie and they are really good! Best of luck!!

clif bars and protein bars are your best bet.

not always the best for you because of added sugars/processed stuff but at least they have protein in them, a little sweetness and fill you up, better than a poptart if you ask me.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    .. My bad, misunderstood title.
  • Try a tray bake. I also love chocolate and have a sweet tooth and my PT introduced me to this:

Bran flakes or granola
    Dried Fruit
    Nuts
    Your favourite chocolate melted and used to stick together - I use 70% Cocoa Green & Blacks

Once mixed together you can either pop in a baking tray then put in the fridge to harden or put in seperate cupcake holders so you can estimate calories more easily. Just keep track of what you put in calorie wise to the mixing bowl and then you can work out portion size.

My portions average at 100-150 cals and curb the sugar cravings since I get my fav chocolate along with fibre, fruit and nuts. Sweet tooth defeated - EASY!!

Chocolate bark! Uber yum. I'm lower-carbing so I use 90% chocolate, cranberries and salted peanuts. Mmmm.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    banana boats!!

Split banana in half the long way....top each half with peanut butter, then add some dark chocolate chips :)
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    I like low calorie, high fiber granola bars... Kellogs makes a Fiber Plus Antioxidant Chewy granola bar - Comes in about 4 different flavors (All have chocolate) and they are 130 calories. Really helps with the sweet tooth cravings, and I don't feel bad about eating them.
  • cheekydeeky
    cheekydeeky Posts: 146 Member
    .. My bad, misunderstood title.

hahahah this ^^^
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

^^^^^^ THIS WEBSITE. Tons of low calorie, healthy dessert recipes. They're all vegan, and she has lots of other "free from" recipes as well.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Special K has fruit crisps that taste like pop tarts but half the calories, not sure if they would be as filling for him though
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Lovemaking, he he he:blushing:
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    The snack I made last night... only 3 ingredients and YUMMY! RED VELVET cupcakes with whipped cream topping. I just bought some Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake mix, mixed it with 12 oz of Sprite zero, baked on 350 for 20-25 minutes... When they come out of the oven top them with a tablespoon of lite whipped cream straight from the freezer. Depending on how many cupcakes you make from the batter your cals should be pretty low, mine only came to 130 cals WITH the whipped cream topping... And you can use any cake mix combo you like. Its not SUPER healthy, but is definitely a way to satisfy a sweet tooth without blowing all your cals for the day! :wink: