WOMEN'S HEALTH - Run Less, Lose More Fat

Options

Replies

• gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Thanks for this. I'm currently doing 1-2 sessions of treadmill intervals a week, on the recommendation of the gym personal trainers. I'm doing a slight increase in speed (from 9km/h to 12km/h) but for a sustained period (3 minutes, 90 second recovery). True to form, I usually do this for 5 or 6 reps and then run 9km/h until I've hit 30 minutes of exercise... creature of habit I guess. The first time I walked because I was absolutely exhausted.

It's great to shake things up, but I really can't seem to do the same thing 'on the road'. I can't seem to gauge my speed very well (I am getting a Garmin soon which will help) but I'm think that some of intervals will work a lot better and be easier to gauge on the road. And I do need to do some hills at some point... I swear I live in the flattest town in the world lol. So easy to avoid!!

It's funny, because I love running and my runs are getting longer although I don't strictly time them, so I feel like I've done my usual 30 minute run, but when I get home I realise that it was more like 45 or 50 minutes. My fitness must be just improving.

I have to get better at tracking my progress on all my runs... very slack of me. I'm going to start training for an 8k run in August, so I need some direction. After that, my goal is to work on my speed to get my 5k time under 30 minutes. Sorry, OT... just getting excited talking about running. :p
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. This is great info.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If they gave best supporting actress awards for weight loss, strength training would take home the trophy every time.

Love this. I'm making the shift from being a cardio queen to saving my energy for more powerful strength training.
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great article! My friend who is a nutritionist and personal trainer suggested I start doing intervals and I've seen the weight come off. I'm really glad this article points that out too.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump...wish there was a "follow" for posts.
  • kfbayard
    kfbayard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I just finished C25K on Sunday and have been thinking about how to move forward. I knew I wanted to add intervals and was planning on researching it this weekend...you've just saved me the trouble!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Now I can make my runs more efficient! I always thought you had to run for hours to get great results but this is just what I needed. I'll start with the 15 sec sprint then 60 second rest.

Does anyone have any tips on keeping time when you do not have a watch or a BPM?

I either count in my head or set distance goals... "Run to that street lamp" ...etc etc..
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    great post, thanks for sharing.
    I'm running 3 times a week, between 3 and 5 miles/day but I find it boring and very hard sometimes. I'll definitely do intervals now for better results and to keep me motivated.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    (like)

this research could work for men too
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    bump
  • beachlover718
    Options
    bump :-)
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This is what my PT has me doing. Three sessions of intervals per week plus my weight training. Beats the heck out of doing long cardio sessions 5 or 6 times a week.
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    bump
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    bump...

I started mixing up my running workouts with speedwork and hill repeats after the first couple months when I started working with a running group, our coach has us do different workouts every week...it really helped! I just need to get back on track with strength training...
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I have been trying to increase my overall time and doing some sprints but will do more knowing that it may help shrink my tummy!
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later;) Thanks for sharing!