some serious support needed. tears are falling

Options

Replies

• MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I also have a BMI of 27, I've lost 107 pounds and still technically "overweight". I try to look at the positive and how far I've come!

What was your BMI 70 pounds ago? I can tell you, mine was 43! A 27 doesn't look so bad now, huh???
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    ^ I agree. The BMI index doesn't take into account your muscle mass or body type. Even if you are still technically overweight, consider that you have lost 70lbs already, so whats a few more lbs? Keep doing what your doing, and know that you probably look way better and are much healthier than 85% of most people.
  • Ashleyann72
    Ashleyann72 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You've lost 70 pounds! That's a HUGE accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself!

"How accurate is BMI?

For some people, BMI might not accurately gauge their health risk. For example, because muscle weighs more than fat, a very muscular person may have a BMI over 25, even though they are not really overweight or at increased risk for heart disease. For South Asians, Arabs, and mixed-race Africans, BMI can also be inaccurate because people with this ancestry tend to have a higher percentage of body fat than white people. 14-17 For Asian Americans, BMI may underestimate their health risk.18, 19 BMI may overestimate the risk of heart disease in older people.14

Increasingly, studies show that waist measurement and/or waist-to-hip ratio are better than BMI for assessing the risk your weight poses to your heart health."

http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/am-i-at-risk/obesity-overweight/obesity.html
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It is hard to realize that you are not where you want to be! However, you have to think back to when you where 70 pounds heavier and Obese and not just Overweight.
    As for myself I went to the doctors yesterday for a follow up and my BMI has moved from Morbidly Obese to just Obese, yes I should have been happy but the word "Obese" just makes you feel dirty, therefor I was still upset much like you are today!
    Just remember you have came so far and in the end you only have "15 pounds" until your considered in the healthy range! That is a very big accomplishment and you should be super proud of yourself, 15 pounds is nothing! I am sure you can work it off in a few months!
    So cheer up, you should be celebrating not worrying about one little word and number! The truth of the matter is, you have changed your life and you are healthy!
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Grab 7-10 lb bags of sugar and put them in a backpack and strap some around your waist. Go walk around the house or go run down the block and back. That is how much weight you have lost! Amazing right? Take off the extra bags of sugar and feel how good it is to be how you are now! Screw the BMI, you are 100% healthier than before, that is what counts!!!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You have every right to prance around and feel beautiful! You've worked hard. 70lbs doesn't just fall off, you've done the work you deserve to enjoy the benefits. The BMI number might still be higher than you want it, but i'm sure you are way healthier than when you were still carrying that 70lbs around. Don't beat yourself up, continue working hard like you have been; and if you were able to lose all the weight you can lose more, and get to that healthy BMI!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    you are NOT a number. Not a BMI, BF%, number on the scale, nothing! I can't stress this any more.
    You kept trying and trying, and something happened. Was it exactly what you wanted? no! You don't have a magic wand and you have to put in a LOT of effort to keep reaching more difficult goals. Time to start fitting in treats into your diet it sounds like, because it sounds like depriving yourself is causing you a LOT of stress. Good luck!
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the BMI is somewhat junk science. they came up with it in the 1800's, based it on the weights/heights of people in a particular area, and it doesn't consider things like your frame, how much muscle you have, etc. it isn't a very accurate tool, it's just something people use to kind of lump people into categories and make things "easier".
    i honestly pay no attention to my BMI. it is a stupid little number that might not actually MEAN anything.
    you've done a lot to be proud of -- 70 lbs is amazing! if you feel good about yourself, you have DEFINITELY earned that. "overweight" doesn't mean anything, really. you can be healthy as a horse and "overweight". you can look damn good and be overweight. hell, you can look damn good and be obese -- it's all about how you feel about yourself, it shines through. so hold your head high -- you should feel awesome about your acomplishments. words and numbers have nothing on that.
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    First of all 70 lbs is amazing!!! Congratulations and your husband is right you look GREAT!!! I hate the BMI scale, HATE IT!

I wish that there was something I could say that would make you feel better, but I know that just isn't possible. What I can do it put it into a little perspective for you, when you were 218 I would think that you were in the Severely Obese category (I only say that because I was the same weight and that is where it put me). You are now barely "over weight", that means you have shaved how many points off your BMI? You are doing phenomenal and you should wear fitted clothes and brag about how far you've come, and NO ONE thought you were full of anything when you did it!

I can only tell you that wish that I was as far along in my journey as you are! You are an inspiration regardless of what that damn calculator!

~Sara
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but I want you to realize that BMI is just a number. If you feel sexy and thin and confident, then you are! 15 pound overweight is so much better than morbidly obese! I don't know much about you, but if you are happy with the way your body looks now, don't let some stupid number ruin your happiness. I am only 5'2". I actually carry my weight very well, but even at 137 I am considered overweight... but you know what? I fit into a size 6 at that weight. And I felt fantastic. Now I am at 193 and I feel like crap. But I'm on the road to 137 again.
    I understand how you want your BMI to be in the healthy range. I do, too. But don't let that silly BMI number take away all the greatness of your success! You have lost 70 pounds! Don't negate all your hard work over your BMI score. It's not 100% accurate. How much muscle have you gained? A body builder with 2% body fat could have an overweight or even obese BMI because it does not take into account your lean body mass or bone structure. I have a large frame, even though I am short, I have big bones. All those things play a role, too.
    So if you want to lose those last 15 pounds to get you to a healthy BMI, then go for it. See if there is anything you can change to make that happen. But, if before you saw your BMI recently, you were pleased with your body and felt happy and confident about it, then be happy about it. You have made so much progress! You are so much better off than you were 70 pounds ago!
    Please don't get discouraged. Eat right, and exercise, not because you hate your body, but because you LOVE your body. Love yourself as you are!
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    BMI is just a number. You should be so proud of yourself for your wonderful accomplishment! Don't let this get you down. :flowerforyou:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    They guys around here keep saying that sexy is in the confidence not the number...

So sashay you cute little tushy around and keep on working toward your goal.

Revel in your success and be a role model for others so show that you don't have to be "perfect" to be awesome.
    Don't wait for perfection to be happy, because you'll wait you life away.

Continue toward your goal, with baby steps if necessary, and just see where it gets you.

GOOD LUCK and be happy.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't worry!! BMI is not a great way to measure your fitness... it doesn't account for body composition! Take my boyfriend: 6'6", 270lbs lots of muscle. BMI chart categorizes him not as overweight, but OBESE!

No worries, keep going!! BMI charts are not something you need to be concerned about!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a number. Honestly? Pro Athletes are considered obese based on BMI... think about it.

70lbs is no small feat, I'm only halfway to that and damn straight I'm proud of myself!

:flowerforyou:
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not to put a downer on some of the replies, but I really hate the way that serious athletes are constantly cited as a reason why BMI is BS. Of course there are outliers - it's supposed to function as an indicator (which is why it has a sizeable range of what's considered "normal"), and the guidelines published alongside it state that results in individuals with out-of-the-ordinary muscle mass (i.e. serious atheles) will not be reflected accurately and should not use it. That doesn't mean it should be thrown out entirely for the vast majority of normal individuals (e.g. people who exercise to a moderate extent on a regular basis).

That said, what you've already achieved is huge - and you should be thrilled with what you've already accomplished. If you're already 70 down, and you're aiming for 15 more, that's nothing in comparison - persevere and you'll get there in no time (and keep rocking the new clothes!).
  • Jesters_wildflower
    Options
    For starters, KUDOS to losing so much weight. According to my BMI I am overweight as well and am fighting like mad to lose the lbs. It's not an easy road but if you're feeling great, and others say you look great, shouldn't that be the thing that matters most? I've got very little support with my road to weight loss and I know how discouraging it is to do it on your own. I don't follow a diet, I eat what I want and follow the tracker on here, if I've gone over, I just work that much harder the following day. Add me as a friend if ANY of you would like, we can give each other support and encouragement. Keep your chin up, I've got roughly 30+ lbs to go and I am only focusing on how good I'm starting to feel.
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that proved measurements were more accurate than BMI. We are not cookie cutter people! And putting us in a box and saying this is what you must be is crap.

If you want to take that 15 off to prove something, your choice. But if you feel good and you are at the right weight for you..... that is all that matters!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Once I reach my goal weight, my BMI will still be in the overweight range. But so what? I'm already incredibly strong and fit for a 5'5" woman weighing 204lbs and I will NEVER have a "healthy" BMI. I've accepted that. Now I focus on lowering my body fat percentage, which is something I have control over. You cannot control the BMI index. It is a made up equation that does not hold true for all body types. Perhaps you have a larger frame. BMI is not accurate for those of us with larger frames and lots of muscles!

You have done amazingly and you should be so proud of yourself. Disregard that number and own your successful weight loss!
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BMI is not a very good individual measure of anything. It does not take body composition into account at all.

True. I used to do BMI and body fat testing on lots of people. Many, many "fit" people fall into the overweight category, mostly because of muscle tone.

You have done something amazing for yourself. Prance, girl.
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    Um, you look AWESOME! BMI is a load of crap. Ok, maybe not totally, but it is not a perfect measure. My BMI is always teetering on the borderline between healthy range and overweight, but I have big boobs and am fairly muscular. So I like to think that throws it off haha.

It's obvious by the amount of weight you've lost that you've made great strides to becoming a healthier, more radiant you. Don't let some stupid number take that away from you! :)