Should I attempt a Zumba class?

Options
The gym I go to is [finally] offering Zumba in their class line-up. I'm veeerrry shy and easily embarrassed when it comes to things like this, which is why as much as I wanted to try zumba I just kept putting it off.

If I do go, does anyone have advice for a newbie? :blushing:

I think I'm just very self-conscious about being chubby and lacking overall coordination aka looking like a fool.

Replies

• kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Nobody gets all the moves at first. You would be surprised at how often people modify moves even after they has been going awhile. Often instructors will change it up a bit to keep it challenging. That means even veterans won't always get every move right. After a few classes, you will start to pick out common moves and it is easier to follow. But right away you can start moving and grooving and having fun. You need to focus on that part. People are too busy keeping up and enjoying their own graceless grooving to worry about others. Having said that, I do peek. I laugh because I realize we are all in the same boat and slightly different. Yes there are people who are naturally good at it and look graceful but I don't find that to be true of most Zumba enthusiasts, at least not all the time. You will be surprised at how much better you get after just a few sessions! It is definitely a work out. I recommend bringing a water bottle to sip between songs.

The key is to have fun and not worry and go at least 3 times before making up your mind. I have gotten others addicted. It really is a blast and you burn a lot of calories!
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    thank you!!
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    Zumba is seriously the most fun cardio class I have ever come across. No one in the class is going to be watching you because they'll be focused on themselves, but I also wouldn't recommend going to the front of the class. Just try it! You'll have a blast if the instructor is good. The music is awesome and the atmosphere is so energetic. Plus it's really fun to watch yourself shake it and my mom swears by it for her weight loss.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I was so terrified of starting because I'm chubby. But I started Zumba and love it. I stand near the back to prevent those who are better than me from having me bump into them. The point isn't necessarily to do all the moves all the time. The point is to keep moving in class and do the best you can. Enjoy!
  • gigibenton
    gigibenton Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just started zumba myself. Take a friend and you'll feel less self conscious. I call it my flopping around class...I am seriously bad but I sure do love it.:smile: :
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    HECK YEA!!!

If you're worried about somebody looking at you, don't. Most people are to busy looking at the instructor making sure they get the steps right.

Only cardio I've ever stuck with.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Try it! I spend most of the class sweating and laughing out loud at my mental picture of myself looking foolish. I have a great time, and love the music. Most people are so concerned with trying to get the moves correct, they won't even notice you! DO IT! You will not regret it!
  • kaklos
    kaklos Posts: 13
    Options
    YES! I have been going to Zumba for about a year and a half and LOVE IT! I am not exactly a "fit" girl myself and I really love it. Give a try and keep at it!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too. I have the DVDs - and seriously - I look like a drunken fool - but at least it's in the privacy of my living room, KWIM?
    But I've really wanted to go out and do the class - more for the socialization (being a SAHM, well, I'd like to meet adults haha), but afraid of looking...well, like a fat drunken fool.
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Does your center offer Aqua Zumba? That's how I started. My next step will be Zumba Gold and then regular Zumba. It's great fun!
  • missgabriella22
    Options
    GO FOR IT!! I absolutely love it! Like others have previously said, everyone is pretty much focusing on themselves and trying to get down the moves! I go to several different classes in my area, and the people that go range from every shape and size under the sun, including all different age groups! I have so much fun when I go, especially when they play the music I love. If you can, grab a friend and just try it out, I'm sure you will not be disappointed!! :)
  • fitnsexy23
    fitnsexy23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Truthfully if you like to dance at home or to music on the radio you will love Zumba...and the BEST part NO ONE is looking or judging you. It is like you dancing in your house by yourself but the only difference is to watch your space in between people beside you and front of you. You will sweat and have a blast and might learn some cool moves to take home to. Classes are usually packed find a place mid way so you can see the instructor or the people in front you can follow.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    DO IT! It's great fun, there'll be loads of people there who are learning as well. Stand towards the back, and you won't feel as self conscious.

I hate dancing, I'm really bad at it. And I'm terrible at Zumba. But our instructor turns the lights out so that the stage is the only bit that's lit up - no matter how dreadful I am, nobody can see me! (She's awesome.)
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! A thousand times YES! It is a great workout and typically the people who go alot are really welcoming (at least in my class they were). Nobody cares what you look like. They all remember what it was like when they started. In my class there always seems to be one or two new people so the chances that your are the only newbie are really slim. Just go! Enjoy! Make new friends!

I was 230lbs when I took my first class. At 162 now, I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Good luck!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Zumba is seriously the most fun cardio class I have ever come across. No one in the class is going to be watching you because they'll be focused on themselves, but I also wouldn't recommend going to the front of the class. Just try it! You'll have a blast if the instructor is good. The music is awesome and the atmosphere is so energetic. Plus it's really fun to watch yourself shake it and my mom swears by it for her weight loss.

^^ This! There are all shapes and sizes in Zumba class and as she said everyone is so focused on themselves and getting the moves right they won't be looking at you. If you go, just have fun and don't take yourself to seriously! :bigsmile:

(P.S in my first zumba class I went to the front because you can get a better view of the instructor :smile: )
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Another tip: if the routine seems too complicated, just drop the arms and focus on getting the foot work first. Once you got the footwork or the steps down, then you can incorporate the arms movements.

I've been taking Zumba for ~2years and I still have to resort to dropping the arms part, especially when my crazy instructor throws in wonky moves!!!

Just listen to the music and move your hips to it!

I don't even consider it a "work-out". I call it my night out dancing.

Have fun,
    Amanda
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    great fun.. i love it.. i dont always go the right way.. and i sometimes can't do all the jumpy things due to my knees.. but as long as you are moving your fine.. make sure you find a great instructor.. some are ok and mine is fabulous! she makes everyone of us feel sexy!
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    TRY IT!! You will love it! Its a great and fun workout and you will burn LOTS of calories. I prefer the class than doing it at home with a dvd or game because i think you push yourself more in a class setting...No one even pays attenetion to other people when in the class. People pay attention to the teacher. I swear by it for weight loss. It is the workout i have done the entire time and i have lost 35 pounds!! GO TRY IT!! :)
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    I do zumba on ps3 move and love it!! I have no rythem at all lol but it is fun and you work up a sweat, I have not tried a Zumba class yet so could not tell you about that but the workout game is a blast!! I also lost 31 pounds as of yesterday by doing zumba and a little walking but mostly zumba that is since Jan 11 2012 So that said go try it and have fun blasting calories
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Okay - so what is Zumba Gold?