Should I attempt a Zumba class?

Options

Replies

• jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Does your center offer Aqua Zumba? That's how I started. My next step will be Zumba Gold and then regular Zumba. It's great fun!

my gym just started this what is it exactly.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I swore I'd never do Zumba. I don't dance - ever - & the videos were a total disaster for me. I just couldn't get the moves.

Then a friend dragged me to a class & I am in love! I continued to be a disaster the first few classes, & every time I have a new instructor or they do new routines, but it's so much fun. If I start to feel discouraged, I look at everyone else in the mirror, realize I'm not the only one looking like a fool, and carry on. It's such a good workout!
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Zumba class. It is seriously my favorite night of the week. I was also shy about going, but I take another class at my gym right before Zumba, and most of the other people go to Zumba right after so they encouraged me to come. Best choice ever! It is so fun. If you know anyone else at your gym, going with a partner would make it a little better. But if you don't know anyone, I'd say stand toward the center of the group so that you can see plenty of others doing the dance moves, but you're also kind of tucked away. At my gym, the entire gymnasium (basketball court) is open and full of people. The instructor for my class dances at the front and side, and during different dances will zig-zag through the group. Don't be shy about taking a break to get some water whenever you need it. My class has every shape, size and age of participant. Go for it!!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is [finally] offering Zumba in their class line-up. I'm veeerrry shy and easily embarrassed when it comes to things like this, which is why as much as I wanted to try zumba I just kept putting it off.

If I do go, does anyone have advice for a newbie? :blushing:

I think I'm just very self-conscious about being chubby and lacking overall coordination aka looking like a fool.

guy here. 6'3, 300+ lb. 1 of 2 men in a class full of women. I stick out. do I look like I fool? probably but I am too busy trying to keep up and not fall on my face to worry or care.
  • teenytinii
    teenytinii Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yes you should go!

i dont go to zumba but my gym has a cardio kickboxing. i never wanted to go because i was too scared to look like an idiot not knowing the moves and all. well i def look like an idiot, as do most of us jumping around but the thing is - no one is watching you but you! go and have fun!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    yes, go go go!

I love it. and I never even really liked dancing of any sort, or at least didn't have the confidence to do so.

my only advice is DONT be discouraged if the first few classes you look like a fish outta water. you'll get it eventually, and NO ONE is judging you as much as you're judging yourself. they've all got their eyes glued on the instructor as much as you do.

in fact, the only people I even pay attention to in class are the people who look AWESOME doing it, so don't worry about! have fun!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba, so this is what I say to all of my new girls.

You will feel stupid and will be lost. BUT, we all were our first few classes. Then, as you get familiar with the moves , you will start to feel more comfortable. You will dance YOUR way, so do not compare yourself to anyone else.

I have A LOT of very large women in my class. They are awesome and look great dancing! I love seeing all ages and sizes in my class. It makes me happy that they come to my class to have fun and get into shape.

Go there and have fun and just know, we have ALL been the new girl and know how awkward it is at first....so just relax and enjoy!!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! It's fun and everyone is a bit awkward at first anyway!
  • EmmieLou8181
    Options
    Hi Jen

I bought Zumba for my Wii and it gives you a great workout and no one has to see. If I were you though, I would hold your head high and give it a go as people will think a lot of you for having a try!

Good luck.

Em
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    i love zumba, must get back into it once i've finished C25K. It is, quite simply, an hour of high intensity silly dancing (or at least that is how my instructor describes it).
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!

I know how hard it is to be the "big" person in a class and I know how hard it is when you feel like the only person in the class who cannot keep up or who cannot seem to "get" the movements!

If you can find it in yourself to push past this, you will find that pretty much everyone in the class is self conscious and everyone who puts the effort in during the class will be sweaty I tired by the end!

And, if you dig down deep and call upon the most dogged determination you can find. It will not take long before you get the routine and master it!

Best of luck & more important - enjoy!
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Zumba is seriously the most fun cardio class I have ever come across. No one in the class is going to be watching you because they'll be focused on themselves, but I also wouldn't recommend going to the front of the class. Just try it! You'll have a blast if the instructor is good. The music is awesome and the atmosphere is so energetic. Plus it's really fun to watch yourself shake it and my mom swears by it for her weight loss.

^ This!!

Zumba is an awesome workout class. In the beginning I was a bit nervous also, but then realized that everyone is just there having a good time while burning some major calories at the same time. I'm starting to go to Zumba classes on fridays after work and I lreally ook foward to it. I also learn new moves that I can use when I go out dancing :smile:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I was so terrified of starting because I'm chubby. But I started Zumba and love it. I stand near the back to prevent those who are better than me from having me bump into them. The point isn't necessarily to do all the moves all the time. The point is to keep moving in class and do the best you can. Enjoy!

This! Go for it, you won't regret it! Don't worry about messing up here and there...I've been doing it for 4 years and still mess up at times but no one ever notices because they are focused on themselves!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You will do awesome! I have a feeling you'll love it too (and not be so willing to work out alone)! Have fun!
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Zumba instructor here...I say yes yes yes! Try it and I'm sure you will be hooked.
    I suggest going to the front of the class so that you can see the instructor's moves.
    Remember to have fun and commit to several classes. It only gets easier after the
    First class.
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have been scared to try it. I have talked to people who love it and also to people who hated it. I am very self conscious and I also fear for my knees. They have been bothering for a while now and I dont know how much impact they will take from a zumba class.

Is it considered a high impact workout? Is there a way to not hurt my joints too much while enjoying zumba?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It isn't high impact, you don't leap about, it is just dancing, lots of hip swinging type stuff.
  • ZumbaGypsy
    ZumbaGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It is invigorating for mind, body and spirit!

:)
  • ZumbaGypsy
    ZumbaGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Zumba is exhilerating! If you haven't taken a live class, I highly recommend it! It is wonderful for the soul as well as the body! I wish I found Zumba four years ago when I first quit smoking; maybe I wouldn't have gained the 40 (yikes) pounds that I have gained since then. I did lose twenty when I first started Zumba classes about a year and half ago, but they have slowly crept their way back :( I am right now on a kick start the diet again and going to 4 Zumba classes a week, instead of 3! With a great instructor and motivating class, Zumba brings a smile to your face and an extremely high calorie burn!

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical

"Dance like no one is watching"

Carol.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The Zumba classes I go to could potentially be hard on your knees, and in my case, my feet BUT people modify those moves constantly. I keep the jumping to a minimum. If I can do the same move without it, I do. It is also important to know the proper form for squats.