5'2 women - daily calorie intake

Options
Just wanted to hear from y'all - what's your daily calorie intake? I am currently 5'2, 132 lbs and would like to lose 8-10 lbs at first. Anyone else around the same height/weight?

Replies

• Lindalo5032
    Lindalo5032 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 137 pounds, very small frame. I started at 144 lbs. and my goal is 125 pounds.

You read everywhere that no one should eat less than 1200 calories per day, and that is what is recommended by MFP for most people, or at least, never less than 1200 calories.

In my experience, I cannot lose weight if I eat that many calories. I usually do about 1000-1150 calories, minus exercise calories, so netting about 800-950 calories. I know they say you can get into "starvation mode" if you eat less than 1200 calories per day, but honestly, for small/petite women with a small bone structure and 20 lbs. or less to lose, I'm not sure that is really true.

I am averaging about 1 pound per week weight loss with that daily calorie intake.

Just my opinion.
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for your input. My intake is actually a lot higher, per TDEE calculations, but its dropping off verrrrrrrrrrry slowly, if at all. So I wanted to see what others were doing!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm 5feet tall and 116 pounds. I ate at 1200 calories or less for a long time, got to this weight, and keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds again. So I joined the group below, did some reading, and upped my calories! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use the following method: Use the MFP tool to calculate the BMR (Base Metabolic Rate - the number of calories needed to stay alive) for your goal weight, then add enough calories to supply energy for your exercise and daily activities. If you do this you will be adjusting your lifestyle and eating habits to reach and STAY at your goal weight. When you reach your goal weight you won't have to switch to a maintenance plan, because you'll already be on your maintenance plan. Good luck.
  • MissyLibra
    MissyLibra Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I started I was ... mmm... 127? I was eating 1200, but it wasn't working for me. I upped it and with my work out I eat 2000ish calories. If I work out less, I eat less, but usually my net is about 1400. It took me about... a month or so to drop 10 pounds.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started at 145 lbs. I'm now at 129 pounds and eat 1750 per day. This total already includes my excerise calories so I don't eat them back. I always make sure I NET above my BMR though.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am 34 years old, 5'3 and I currently weigh 123-125! I currently eat 2200-2400 calories per day for weight maintenance and 2000-2200 for weight loss. I eat to not only fuel my body but to fuel my workouts as well!
  • connerstella
    connerstella Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i'm the exact same build - like 5'1 1/2 and 134lbs. if i eat anything more than 1300 a day, i don't lose weight at all! the only time i find that i really drop weight is if i eat around 1050 - 1150 NET calories... so after working out.
    and if you're interested, i'm doing the 30 day shred 3 times a week and the yoga meltdown two days a week, and it seems to be making a real change in my body!

hope you're as lucky!:flowerforyou:
  • rlwinton
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started at 145 lbs. I'm now at 129 pounds and eat 1750 per day. This total already includes my excerise calories so I don't eat them back. I always make sure I NET above my BMR though.

I know what BMR is, but what do you mean NET above your BMR?
  • dawlschic007
    Options

I know what BMR is, but what do you mean NET above your BMR?

By net, I mean that I eat enough food so that even when I workout, I do not go below my BMR of 1285. For example, I normally eat 1750 per day but if I have a really hard workout and burn 600 calories, that would put me at a net of 1150 calories. In that case, I would eat at least another 200 calories so that my net calories for the day is over my BMR of 1285.
  • fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • rlwinton
    Options
    My BMR is at 1393.7; so I get what you're saying now.
    My TDEE is calculated at light exercise right now since I won't get off my lazy bum at 1908 so my caloric intake is supposed to be around 1408.
    So, maybe I really am eating too much. I am eating about 1800 calories a day, not putting my exercise in to calculate (I wanted to try out). I think I'm going to start doing that again and still lower my calorie intake. Do you guys eat back your exercise calories?
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 127 pounds, netting 1400 calories (I eat my exercise calories), and I'm losing steadily. I actually lose more at 1400 calories than at 1200. It takes a little bit of experimenting to find the calorie intake that's works for you, and 1400 just turned out to be my magic number.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest lowering your calorie intake anymore. How much weight do you want to lose and what is your average weight loss per week?

I practice the 'eat for the future you' guidelines and am eating at my goal weight maintenance level. I used this site to calculate it http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/, along with this spreadsheet to find my actual current activity levels and BMR. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGZlcmNCNmhJWFhtUGl0ZEk1RFd1c0E

This is really the best plan that I have tried as I am consistently losing weight and don't feel like I'm on a diet. You may also want to check out this group for more info. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477753-how-do-i-do-activity-level-and-calculator
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 137 pounds, very small frame. I started at 144 lbs. and my goal is 125 pounds.

You read everywhere that no one should eat less than 1200 calories per day, and that is what is recommended by MFP for most people, or at least, never less than 1200 calories.

In my experience, I cannot lose weight if I eat that many calories. I usually do about 1000-1150 calories, minus exercise calories, so netting about 800-950 calories. I know they say you can get into "starvation mode" if you eat less than 1200 calories per day, but honestly, for small/petite women with a small bone structure and 20 lbs. or less to lose, I'm not sure that is really true.

I am averaging about 1 pound per week weight loss with that daily calorie intake

Just my opinion.

I am also 5'3" with a small build. My highest weight was 148 before I started MFP. I started MFP at around 140, eating 300-500 calories NET. I have since "seen the light" and am now eating 1700 on non-workout days and 2200 on days I do workout. I am losing more weight now, than I ever did, eating less than 1000 calories.

OP, food is your friend. As long as you make good food choices, it will take care of you, keep you full, and happy.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 130.8 here (yes I have a digital scale :laugh: ) I currently am eating 1729 per day or more. I started this about a week and 1/2 ago. I lose 15lbs eating 1200 for about 6 weeks but I was starving and in a fog towards the end there. I don't eat back my exercise calories and I just stopped bloating and got down to where I was when I upped my calories.

I am finding that with 1729, sometimes I am starving. Who would have thought. :happy:
  • rlwinton
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Honestly, I was or am thinking that I was eating too much. Like I said earlier, I was eating about 1800 cals a day. It seems that it is different for everyone....guess I have to find that happy median for me!
  • rlwinton
    Options
    And by the way, it may work for other people.....but I could NEVER eat just 500-1000 calories. I starve on my self imposed 1650-1750 cal intake!
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I'm 5'2" (okay, okay 5'1 3/4" :grumble: ) and 125. I'm currently eating about 1500 a day, though often I'm under.

I found that I wasn't losing at 1200 and didn't want to have to restrict myself to a large degree. I wanted the change to be sustainable for life.
  • salsygirl
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 141#(started at 175) My goal weight is 140# by the 16th of April. ALMOST THERE!!!!
    A year ago I picked up a book called " The Petite Woman's diet." I read it and it had recipes that were unrealistic for a Mom of two. BUT!!!! I did pick up some great tips. 5'4" and under should eat 1100 calories to loose weight and NEVER eat earned calories through exercise. His recommendation was 1100 6 days a week and then pick a cheat day and go for 1300!!!!! I was able to drop 30 pounds at 1200 calories and on occasion I would eat my exercise calories. Now I'm 4 pounds from my goal weight and it's been there for a month. So I dropped my calories to 1150, them 1140...until I am now a pound away at 1100. He also recommends building lean muscle mass over cardio for the petite woman. I'm sure you can find the info on-line! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! Keep counting!!!