2»

Replies

• softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • delicatedi
    Options
    Hi, I have only started this today but find it harder to lose weight as I have an underactive thyroid (100mg thyroxine daily). So just a thought if anybody is really struggling with weight loss and they are doing everything that they should then it is always worth having a blood test as I had no idea that I suffered from this. Since medication I have lost 2 stone. On this now to get my last 8/10lb off.
  • unijade
    Options
    Hi all. So I'm a bit confused here. From the comments I gather that when people weren't losing weight, they *increased* their intake?

I'm 5'1 and weigh around 134lb. My target for now is to get to around 125lb. My average intake is around 1200kCal throughout the week but I allow myself 1 cheat day....and a half >_>
    Also, I work out 4 days a week (mostly light cardio, I have stamina problems).

I started the workout routine 2 months ago and lost around 8 lb. I started the 1200-ceiling intake around 2 weeks ago.

So.. am I doing this right? Should I stick to this routine?
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and 5'2.5.

I lost 28lbs in 6m on 1400ish cals/day and had social events etc off as needed but didn't use them as a licence to binge.

I maintain on 1500 in week and whatever I like at w/e within reason. My Fitbit though is key as I always make sure I burn what I eat plus a tad more (only by walking or mini tramp) with the rare exception for big events.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 141#(started at 175) My goal weight is 140# by the 16th of April. ALMOST THERE!!!!
    A year ago I picked up a book called " The Petite Woman's diet." I read it and it had recipes that were unrealistic for a Mom of two. BUT!!!! I did pick up some great tips. 5'4" and under should eat 1100 calories to loose weight and NEVER eat earned calories through exercise. His recommendation was 1100 6 days a week and then pick a cheat day and go for 1300!!!!! I was able to drop 30 pounds at 1200 calories and on occasion I would eat my exercise calories. Now I'm 4 pounds from my goal weight and it's been there for a month. So I dropped my calories to 1150, them 1140...until I am now a pound away at 1100. He also recommends building lean muscle mass over cardio for the petite woman. I'm sure you can find the info on-line! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! Keep counting!!!
    I would never survive on that little!
    I'm 5'2" and and 122 pounds. I started MFP at 138 pounds but had come down to that from 188.
    I'm eating 1200 plus exercise calories which ends up putting me at 1700 a day.
    I feel very satisfied at that amount and I eat a bit more on the weekends, what with having some wine and eating out.

I could have never lost the weight if I was hungry. Hunger for me brings on the binges!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    1300 eating my cals back.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5" and I eat anywhere from 1600-2000 calories depending on my activity level.
  • unijade
    unijade Posts: 2
    Options
    I could use some encouragement. I'm 5"2 and around 134 lb, and my progress is really slow :(

For people around 5"2 who go on around 1200-1500 calories per day; how long have you been working out/staying fit?? How long does it take an average person on on a moderate exercise routine to go from over 138lb to 115lb?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 137 pounds, very small frame. I started at 144 lbs. and my goal is 125 pounds.

You read everywhere that no one should eat less than 1200 calories per day, and that is what is recommended by MFP for most people, or at least, never less than 1200 calories.

In my experience, I cannot lose weight if I eat that many calories. I usually do about 1000-1150 calories, minus exercise calories, so netting about 800-950 calories. I know they say you can get into "starvation mode" if you eat less than 1200 calories per day, but honestly, for small/petite women with a small bone structure and 20 lbs. or less to lose, I'm not sure that is really true.

I am averaging about 1 pound per week weight loss with that daily calorie intake.

Just my opinion.

You are not that petite. I am 5'0 and am comfortably losing on 1800.

OP, figure out your TDEE and eat 10-20% lower than that.
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 141#(started at 175) My goal weight is 140# by the 16th of April. ALMOST THERE!!!!
    A year ago I picked up a book called " The Petite Woman's diet." I read it and it had recipes that were unrealistic for a Mom of two. BUT!!!! I did pick up some great tips. 5'4" and under should eat 1100 calories to loose weight and NEVER eat earned calories through exercise. His recommendation was 1100 6 days a week and then pick a cheat day and go for 1300!!!!! I was able to drop 30 pounds at 1200 calories and on occasion I would eat my exercise calories. Now I'm 4 pounds from my goal weight and it's been there for a month. So I dropped my calories to 1150, them 1140...until I am now a pound away at 1100. He also recommends building lean muscle mass over cardio for the petite woman. I'm sure you can find the info on-line! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! Keep counting!!!

Yeeeeah, this is all terrible advice, sorry. That book is a joke, and very, very wrong. 5'4 and under eat 1100 calories? HA! Um, no.

And you can't "build lean muscle" on a deficit, especially one as extreme as 1100 calories a day WITHOUT eating your exercise cals back, so it's blatantly obvious the author of that book has not one clue in the slightest of what they're talking about.

Like I said, find your TDEE and eat just under that. You'll lose weight at a safe rate, and you won't be miserable and starving doing it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, no.