New workout & question re: whey for women!

Options
13»

Replies

• charliebrooke08
    Options
    I don't think you have to have the protein immediately after working out, pretty sure that's been disproven, so the timing of your shake isn't as important as making sure you reach your protein goal for the day!

Ever heard of the "window of opportunity"? Guess not. There is a 30 minute period after a workout in which you should be refeeding your body with carbs and protein. Your muscles are biochemically primed for nurtient intake during this period of time.

Actually yes, and as I said, it's been disproven. But keep doing what's working for you. That's all that really matters.

Disproven, hm. Disproven by who? That's just so interesting because every bodybuilder I know of, who makes a living from BUILDING MUSCLE, makes sure to have a post workout meal within that 30 min anabolic window.
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/windowofopportunity.pdf

And Universal a major supplement company even makes a supplement called Anabolic Window of Opportunity. They must have not been informed it's just a myth right.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    But I'm just crazy right, looking to body builders for advice on how to build muscle, and for pre-and-post workout nutrition advice. Those meatheads couldn't possibly know what they are talking about.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I had the O.N shake as a meal replacement after my run, with a banana. I will have my other one before I hit the gym for weights tonight :-)

My goal ratio is 45 carbs, 30 protein, 25 fat.

2 shakes a day is lot for someone who isn't trying to build muscle, you might want to try and get more protein from food sources.

I totally agree 2 shakes a day is a lot. Try getting your protien naturally because drinking too much of the whey protien can make you gain weight. The naturall way is always the best.

omg stfu with this nonsense. drinking 60 grams of protein from 2 shakes is not going to make you gain more weight than if you ate a steak. it's about total calories. what a ridiculous thing to say.

First of all you can definitly gain weight by taking whey protein. It has happened to me in the past and others I know. That is why some use it to bulk up. Please do your research before you post nonsense dane

only if that protein put you over your maintenance calories would you gain any real weight (non-temporary water weight gain)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to have the protein immediately after working out, pretty sure that's been disproven, so the timing of your shake isn't as important as making sure you reach your protein goal for the day!

Ever heard of the "window of opportunity"? Guess not. There is a 30 minute period after a workout in which you should be refeeding your body with carbs and protein. Your muscles are biochemically primed for nurtient intake during this period of time.

Actually yes, and as I said, it's been disproven. But keep doing what's working for you. That's all that really matters.

Disproven, hm. Disproven by who? That's just so interesting because every bodybuilder I know of, who makes a living from BUILDING MUSCLE, makes sure to have a post workout meal within that 30 min anabolic window.

And Universal a major supplement company even makes a supplement called Anabolic Window of Opportunity. They must have not been informed it's just a myth right.

yes because supplement companies never exaggerate or lie in their marketing.
  • erickirb
    Options
    But I'm just crazy right, looking to body builders for advice on how to build muscle, and for pre-and-post workout nutrition advice. Those meatheads couldn't possibly know what they are talking about.

There may be some benefit of timing but it is so small that it will not make much difference for 99% of people. That being said the window that muscle repair themselves is more like 48hours, and the 30 min window is more about glycogen store replenishment, but is not required.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

When speaking of nutrition for improving body composition or athletic performance, it’s crucial to realize there’s an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy of effects is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day. Below that — and I mean distantly below that — is the precise timing of those nutrients. With very few exceptions (i.e., the intermittent fasting crowd), athletes and active individuals eat multiple times per day, to the tune of at least four meals. Thus, the majority of their day is spent in the postprandial (fed) rather than a post-absorptive (fasted) state. The vast majority of nutrient timing studies have been done on overnight-fasted subjects put through glycogen depletion protocols, which obviously limits the applicability of the outcomes. Pre-exercise (and/or during-exercise) nutrient intake often has a lingering carry-over effect into the post-exercise period. Throughout the day, there’s a constant overlap of meal digestion and nutrient absorption. For this reason, the effectiveness of nutrient timing does not require a high degree of precision.

-Alan Aragon, Alan Aragon’s Research Review, January 2008

But wtf does Aragon know, right?
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

Dane
  • erickirb
    Options

Dane I've already determined you are an idiot

That was quite uncalled for. and a lot of bodybuilders have great success despite their lack of knowledge. (A lot have knowledge, but not all, some think that correlation = causation, which it doesn't)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Dane I've already determined you are an idiot

coming from you that means very little. sourcing a bodybuilding supplement as your proof that a nutrition myth is true?
    that's the funniest thing i've read on here all week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    638c0fc3-9a34-4739-a352-249c008a0c07.jpg
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    More quotes from Alan Aragon:

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Not sure what happened here but to say I am confused would be an understement. Thanks to everyone who tried to help though.

Guess the only way for me to figure it out is to try it. If it nfails, try something else.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sozzell,

Sorry your thread got hijacked. The basic point of all that arguing is that it doesn't matter when you drink your shake (or if you even drink a shake) as long as you hit your protein goal daily.