Does anyone else get a bit bored on the treadmill??

Options
124»

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    YES....I need scenery...
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use audiobooks-BUT-I get great ones that I can't wait to continue and then I ONLY let myself listen while I'm on my elliptical--makes me want to workout and then I'll go longer so I can hear what comes next--it's the "Just One More Chapter" syndrome.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I was bored to death on either treadmill or elliptical.
    I added more walking in my neighborhood to begin with, but really "caught fire" when I joined Jazzercise.
    I like that the music changes all the time, there are lots of classes at my location and the people are so friendly and upbeat. I'm never bored there and my weight loss has bumped up.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, just that simple.. For my cardio I do HIIT on my elliptical and it only takes me anywhere from 8-10 minutes to burn around 200 calories.

I have it set up like this:
    20 second run as fast as I can. HR is usually around 150-160
    45 second walk. keeping the HR between 130-135
    for 8 intervals total.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    Well I dont run 3 miles , but I understand how you feel. My trainer told me to run for 5 minutes then get off and do 10 pushups. Then run for another 5 minutes and then do 10 sit ups. This will add some flavor and it works on your core strength. You can tweak it how you need to , but it has bumped up my workout and its not as boring. Good luck with your journey.
  • lissaann22479
    lissaann22479 Posts: 163
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, I only stay on for 15 minutes. I rather go to the track and walik because the treadmill bores me.

Amen to that !!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I get bored just seeing the word 'treadmill.'

f*** hamsterwheels.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I go on the treadmill Every day and run about 3miles.. recently changed it a bit to running 2 miles and walking up the biggest incline fast for the last mile.. or i do a few bursts of interval training!

BUT i find it gets very boring! maybe its just because i dont have my Iphone at the moment so dont have any decent music to listen to i just listen to what the gym has on..

Does anyone else get bored?? what should i dooo!!! i fit my cardio workouts in my lunch hour at work so dont have lots of time for weights etc, i figure i need to run and go on the eplitical as much as i can for my 40 mins or so!

any tips welcome ;-) xx

Treadmills are boring. So is walking. So I listen to an audio version of the Bible and other books, pray, and think thoughts. It's a great time to clear my head. :)
  • QueChulaYo
    QueChulaYo Posts: 71
    Options
    I can only to speedwork (interval training) on a treadmill. I'm working so hard that I can't get bored, I'm too busy trying not to die. :laugh: I would recommend doing hard interval training the whole time or speed bursts, where you run at your normal effort then up it for 30-90 second then go back. Switching up pacing and such is the only way for me to stand it.

^^^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^

and i do the tracy anderson method on the tredmill, so not boring..... because you are working and trying to stay focused, no time to be bored!!!!
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,456 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but check out a program called Cardio Coach. You can download any of the programs, and the coach will have you go through different speeds, hills, intervals... Makes for a much more enjoyable treadmill, elliptical... workout.
  • monkeygirl351
    Options
    I love my treadmill workout with my iPod app lolo beatburn. It has workout routines that are customised to your fitness level. They have walk, walk/jog and run modes. You import your music or they have some upbeat music of their own. Then it will tell you when to change speed and incline for interals. I find it pushes me to do better than what I would do on my own and I get a better workout that way. Today I did walking with inclines and it is day 6 of my program and I burned supposedly 480 calories in 50 minutes. I know was working hard cause the sweat was dripping and my heart was pounding. I was tired at the end but felt I accomplished something. Would like to try the running, but gotta take it slow cause of my knees. Anyways I look forward to my treadmill workouts and I've lost 7 pounds so far. Yay!
  • Fitmiss07
    Options
    Hey I am right there with you on that one! The treadmill can become a little repetitive and tedious at times! I actually read an article on this very subject the other day that had some good pointers to help make the time fly by more quickly!

http://www.nordictrackcoupon.com/articles/how-to-not-die-of-boredom-on-the-treadmill/

They had some great workouts along with motivating songs to help keep you going! Hope it helps you as it did me!
  • elg193
    elg193 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest running outside, on a country path or park. Works out more muscles, presents different challenges each time because the track changes with the environment.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Cardio bores me silly and I only do it for maybe 5 minutes on my weight days! I one of those people though, I can't watch tv or anything while I'm at it either. Recently on the elliptical though I've decided to start varying up my speed depending on what I'm listening to, ie: my MP3 player went from playing No Doubt (from their very ska days) to Beautiful Tonight by Clapton... kinda kept it interesting for a little while.
  • pbird65
    pbird65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It IS boring. I split up my hour between the elliptical, stationary bike and treadmill. I MUST have my iPod with me.
  • nenacakesxo
    nenacakesxo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i hate tredmills.. but i started using them to do interval training. Its not as boring now lol