How much harder is a full marathon compared to a half?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This might be a good place to get some advice.

I ran my first half back in Oct of 2011, have ran at leat a half almost every weekend since. I am planning to run a full in Nov, although I may run one the first weekend in Sept.

I am several weeks ahead in my training. Ran 20 miles 3 weeks ago, followed up with an 18, then 16. I am concerned about overtraining.

I have registered for a half Sept 2nd. They also have the full that same day. If I felt strong at the halfway point, I was considering continuing to run and at least get in a 18-20 mile run or keep going for the full. Not sure that it is wise to consider running the full in Sept and maybe, I should hold back on my training to be ready for the full in Nov. I would have to taper for the Sept full.
    If I didn't finish the full in Sept , I may have over done it and not be able to be ready for the full in Oct.

May be wiser to pull back a bit now and run the half in Sept and be ready for the full in Nov.

Thanks for any help.

Couple points to consider.

You should have one recovery day for every mile raced. So, if you race 26.2, you should have almost 4 weeks of recovery time. For some runners, this means nothing to walking and other forms of cross training for that time. More experienced runners will take less time off from running, but start back up with real easy running and a lot fewer miles than during marathon training. As you stated your first HM was just this past year, I would think you would fall more toward the former. That being said, doing a marathon in October and one in November would not be something I would suggest.

Running the HM in September is a great idea for your build up to a marathon. If it's early enough in September, it might be appropriate for either an October or November marathon. I would discourage the idea of "running it and seeing how I feel" and making a decision to go the entire route. In order to get the best benefit from that HM, you should be racing it. Your HM race pace is going to be significantly faster than your marathon pace. If raced properly, you won't feel like you can go any further when you finish.

As for your training, if you are already doing 20s, then I think you might be on the verge of overdoing it. I ran the Baltimore Marathon last year on October 15th. I did my first 20 mile run September 3rd. I was doing high mileage, but the long runs weren't up to that level (55 to 65 miles per week). By the time the race rolled around, I was fit and fresh after a 10 day taper and I ran a 3:26 (a 12 minute PR). Have you looked at any marathon training plans, or are you just winging it? Hal Higdon is generally recognized for really good plans.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Helps a whole lot. Thanks! I had a typo when I sated "be ready for the full in Oct", I mean't Nov. I will pull back a bit and just run the half in Sept. and plan for the full in Nov.(though I enjoy the 16 mile runs)Again, Thanks! The advice that I would give for my kids would be chose one or the other, don't try to train for both. This advice is what I should give myself:smile: By the way, I used Hal Higdon's training program for my first. Now, I am considering taking some of his and mixing it with a plan by Runner's World. I probably should do one or the other for my first.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love to jog. I like being outside. I like seeing the scenery. I like the freedom of the movement.
    I ran a marathon. God, it was so BORING!
    Running for one hour is all the things I mentioned above. Running for two hours is monotony -- excruciating monotony. You have to run a bunch of two hour runs prior to the race to train. Then, the race is even further and longer.
    Did I mention that your mind and body are kinda toast after a two hour run? You're toast for the entire rest of the day.
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    Alot harder
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My guess is twice as hard.
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Twice as hard as it was the first time I said goodbye.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. Great time for half!
    2. I've done three marathons and about 10 or so halfs. I'm 48. To me a marathon is a whole another animal. Halfs take endurance but marathons take "gumption". I think if you are in shape you could do a relatively painless half but even in good shape running a marathon takes a lot out of you.
    That being said, I love marathons. You just have to train for them and be ready to hurt a bit on those last 3-4 miles. I have yet to run an entire marathon..the best I've done is run the 22 miles straight and then run/walk the last 4. I know there are very good marathoners who do the run/walk and do that the entire marathon.
    Now you have heard from a novice marathoner. I'd love to hear the opinion of more experienced marathoners.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Omg, the horror stories.... I don't believe I'll ever be badass enough to finish a full.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...A half is fun. A full is grueling...

^ This, but it's so worth it. If you can do a half and have it be easy and fun, then you can finish a full. There will be pain, though, and you will need recovery time - which I didn't seem to need for a half. I say go for it. It's an awesome achievement! I personally never hit the wall in a half, but I hit the wall hardcore around mile 20-22 in the full. The last mile always seems easier for me - must be psychological...:flowerforyou:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I vote 3x as hard? :laugh:
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

It seems like doing a full takes the fun out of it. It's more serious. Halfs are kind of easy. I think the full is 26.2 for a reason. That is a very difficult length. It wasn't an accident that they picked that distance. It's very difficult, from what I hear. If it was 20, anyone vcould do it. It's the extra 6.2 that makes it a different thing entirely.

Depends upon what you consider fun.

^ This. I've read many of the posts here, and I think you've gotten the idea. I did want to respond to this though. I find it funny that so many people here have mentioned a 13.1 being easy or fun. I think 13.1 is the perfect distance for a competetive run, and it has nothing to do with fun or easiness. At this distance you have to train, but you can also train hard to go "fast" I personally never have "fun" doing half marathons. I push myself to the absolute brink in regards to pace.

Training for a full on the other hand was a blast, and running the actual event is amazing, and can be rather moving. It does take up a significant amount of your time to train, and it will take a rather awe inspiring amount of effort. My first was Chicago, and it blew my mind.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think most people approach both races the same (probably because of the name), which is why you get so many "half is easier than a full" comments. Is a full marathon 26 times more painful than a mile? If you're thinking yes then you must never have run a real mile. As with pretty much all races, shorter ones cause more acute pain whereas longer ones cause more exhaustion. And really, the mythical 20 mile wall is a bit of an invention. Can you deplete your glycogen stores during a marathon? Yes. But plenty of runners don't experience anything like hitting the wall, and many more simply convince themselves that they have because of all the fairy tales they get told. It's usually more mental exhaustion than anything else.

My point is, you shouldn't be afraid of the full marathon, but, remember that it's a different race than the half and you should approach it accordingly.

Good luck.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    So happy to see my thread revived again. :)

Registration for my full opened July 1st and I registered THAT day. I also booked my hotel so no backing out!
    :happy:

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice!
  • ww123butterfly
    Options
    I am doing NYC this fall also. It will be the second time I tackle NYC and the marathon! Good luck!