To those with Children

Options
I'm having trouble with my little brother. I'm not around him all the time like I used to be, especially since I used to be the babysitter, really, and he's gained a lot of weight. I'd say he's about 5'2" and weighs almost as much as I do(132lbs).

How do you motivate children (he's 11) to exercise or eat healthy?

Keep in mind, there isn't access to a personal garden to play in.

Replies

• Gerry_Lane
    Gerry_Lane Posts: 27
    Options
    he should be getting exercise every day at a young age....is there a park, school grounds, gymnasium, friends.....he needs to run, jump and play...

are there sports programs? football, lacross, tennis, basketball? get him involved in activity.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with my little brother. I'm not around him all the time like I used to be, especially since I used to be the babysitter, really, and he's gained a lot of weight. I'd say he's about 5'2" and weighs almost as much as I do(132lbs).

How do you motivate children (he's 11) to exercise or eat healthy?

Keep in mind, there isn't access to a personal garden to play in.

Is there an activity he enjoys? Would he like to go hiking or biking? Are there kids in the neighborhood who will play tag and hide and seek and things like that?
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    He doesn't have a lot of friends, and I think it may also be due to his weight. He has mentioned a couple times of kids teasing him about his weight(he looks almost identical to the kid from Two and a Half Men..in face AND body). He doesn't seem to enjoy exercise at ALL, if it isn't playing. Of course he's obsessed with playing games on his PC.

Also need to get him eating better, and that is nearly impossible with kids, you know!
  • Arestoktra
    Arestoktra Posts: 73
    Options
    I agree about a sports program like basketball, swimming, tennis etc. This was he can both lose weight, be much healthier, have a sports culture within him, makes friends and learn being a part of a team.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No 11-year-old enjoys exercise that isn't playing. That's perfectly normal. He needs someone to play with. But even at that age, hiking and stuff like that can be made into a fun thing to do. Don't present it as exercise. Present it as a fun way to spend time together and see nature, stuff like that.

A far as diet, he's 11 so he has access to what his parents provide. If they keep healthy foods in the house, that's what he'll eat.
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    I agree about a sports program like basketball, swimming, tennis etc. This was he can both lose weight, be much healthier, have a sports culture within him, makes friends and learn being a part of a team.

I think that is the best option at this point. Is good idea for exercise, but then the problem becomes how to pick him up from afterschool sports since me mum and brother work..but I will run the idea by them!
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    No 11-year-old enjoys exercise that isn't playing. That's perfectly normal. He needs someone to play with. But even at that age, hiking and stuff like that can be made into a fun thing to do. Don't present it as exercise. Present it as a fun way to spend time together and see nature, stuff like that.

A far as diet, he's 11 so he has access to what his parents provide. If they keep healthy foods in the house, that's what he'll eat.

That makes sense. I should try to get me mum to clear the junk out of the house. She's a junkie fanatic but is so fit for some reason... Or maybe she could hide junk. I will try it! Thanks!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Good luck.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't the best idea if he is already overweight, but it will get him moving. My friend has 2 boys (8, and 10). They go for 2 mile bike rides to dairy queen a few times a week and get an icecream cone. It started out just wanting them to get outside rather then play video games all summer, but now they do it most of the year. Would be all year if we didn't have such nasty winters.
    Maybe try that.. substituting Dairy queen with something not food related or even just a little healthier?
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    This probably isn't the best idea if he is already overweight, but it will get him moving. My friend has 2 boys (8, and 10). They go for 2 mile bike rides to dairy queen a few times a week and get an icecream cone. It started out just wanting them to get outside rather then play video games all summer, but now they do it most of the year. Would be all year if we didn't have such nasty winters.
    Maybe try that.. substituting Dairy queen with something not food related or even just a little healthier?

That's actually a great idea! We have stores that are within walking distance, if you walk about 30 minutes. Yeah, I'll try that, too. Thanks!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Please, whatever you do, DO NOT tell him that you're wanting him to get moving to lose weight. Or even to get healthy. He's smart enough to read between the lines of "getting healthy." Just swing by and take him on hikes, or out to the park to play Frisbee, or over to the soccer field to practice dribbling and kicking, or to the track to have a silly race. Whatever. But don't tell him you want him to lose weight or get healthier, and tell your parents not to say those things either. He's 11. It's a fragile time for the self-esteem. Just get him out and moving in a way that he enjoys, and leave it at that.
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise! I will try..well, everything. haha He also visits his father in America(Texas, ya know, 'everything is bigger') over just about all the holidays, and his father is not healthy or in shape at all, so I worry about him going there as well, but there isn't too much to do there except fuss at him not to feed him junk..

But thanks for all the advise, it makes me feel better! :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    also try geocaching.
    you can make it into a whole secret thing.

Basically you go on a website, and get GPS coordinates then have to go find some little treasure thing.
    Get a GPS or a smart phone and go for a hike. You even get to call other people that don't know about it muggles.
  • ocylott
    ocylott Posts: 31
    Options
    Does he have something like a Wii or Xbox Kinect? You'd be surprised how much those can get you moving even in a regular video game (as opposed to one of the workout programs available for those systems) if he plays on them instead of on a computer.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    He doesn't have a lot of friends, and I think it may also be due to his weight. He has mentioned a couple times of kids teasing him about his weight(he looks almost identical to the kid from Two and a Half Men..in face AND body). He doesn't seem to enjoy exercise at ALL, if it isn't playing. Of course he's obsessed with playing games on his PC.

Also need to get him eating better, and that is nearly impossible with kids, you know!

If he likes playing the PC games, maybe an active gaming system would be good. They have all kinds of games for Wii or Connect that get you moving. I play with my kids all the time, and some of them get me sweating like my kickboxing class at the gym!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have encouraged my girls to join me for girl talk while we do the c25k program together. :) Maybe you can play with him-run with him, do jump rope "competitions" something like that?

As far as the weight-he's pretty tall for 11 since boys don't typically have their spurts until later than girls. While he is a little high in weight for that age, he's also in the 90th percentile for his height... which means he's probably just right since it isn't lopsided (high weight, low height or vice versa).
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It depends on where in Texas, but even here (Texan speaking) there are puh-lenty of things to do... But again, it depends on where. But in my city alone there is hiking, biking, canoe/kayak/boating, frisbee golf, indoor rock climbing, among the plethora of sports as well. But no matter where there is always biking and walking as long as you take care in the summer for the heat and don't do it on the major streets.

eta: so perhaps if (steathily) you start to exhibit healthy living to your brother and so does your family where you are... then perhaps he will do it on his own while here.
  • sweetmommy215
    Options
    My son is 11, about 5' or a little more and also weighs about 130lbs. It's normal. A lot of boys around this age (also puberty is lurking) go through a big growth spurt. They tend to grow like Christmas trees. Out and up. I know my son could use a little more physical activity in his life, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. He would eat me out of house and home if I let him. So I try to have at least a few healthy snacks around the house to offset the bad ones. So I honestly don't think there is much to worry about.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    You say some kids tease him? I would talk to him about the teasing and mentioned you and he could do a few activities together. That gives him a chance to workout some and you and him spending time together. Talk about some healthy food choices with him also.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Please, whatever you do, DO NOT tell him that you're wanting him to get moving to lose weight. Or even to get healthy. He's smart enough to read between the lines of "getting healthy." Just swing by and take him on hikes, or out to the park to play Frisbee, or over to the soccer field to practice dribbling and kicking, or to the track to have a silly race. Whatever. But don't tell him you want him to lose weight or get healthier, and tell your parents not to say those things either. He's 11. It's a fragile time for the self-esteem. Just get him out and moving in a way that he enjoys, and leave it at that.

I agree