To those with Children

Options

Replies

• jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    the kids I babysit have tons of fun doing work out videos on netflix! Before bath time, I have my daughter run 5 laps around the parking lot to wear her out a bit :laugh: she enjoys the challenge! Get him a bicycle, jumprope, hoola hoop, etc. I know you say no yard, but is there a spot for a trampoline or pool? I have a 4 foot deep swimming pool on the sidewalk outside my apartment! :laugh: I haven't tried it but my neighbor's daughter does it and it looks fun, but video games for wii! Her boxing game really looks like a fun work out! She does Just Dance too, etc...
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    It depends on where in Texas, but even here (Texan speaking) there are puh-lenty of things to do... But again, it depends on where. But in my city alone there is hiking, biking, canoe/kayak/boating, frisbee golf, indoor rock climbing, among the plethora of sports as well. But no matter where there is always biking and walking as long as you take care in the summer for the heat and don't do it on the major streets.

He's in..Houston I believe. And I'm not argueing that there arent things to do there, his father constantly tells us how much there is to do. I just don't trust him to do anything with him there. His father weighs 300lbs at about 6', pretty sure he doesn't like exercise or eating healthy either. ha
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    My son is 11, about 5' or a little more and also weighs about 130lbs. It's normal. A lot of boys around this age (also puberty is lurking) go through a big growth spurt. They tend to grow like Christmas trees. Out and up. I know my son could use a little more physical activity in his life, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. He would eat me out of house and home if I let him. So I try to have at least a few healthy snacks around the house to offset the bad ones. So I honestly don't think there is much to worry about.

He may be a bit taller for his age, but his weight is a lot more than I would have expected, especially since all of us(his 3 siblings) have never had a weight issue and were never as big as he was. We mostly put on muscle easily and may look a little bigger because of it, but I don't think he should stay the way he is, if he doesn't learn to at LEAST eat healthier, he'll only gain and gain.
  • sweetmommy215
    Options
    So my first post was before I read everyone else's comments. Don't let anyone tell you he is overweight! He is a growing boy and boys grow much different. You made a comment about how he looks a lot like the boy from Two and a Half Men. Google that boy now and see what he looks like at an older age. He's tall and thinned out. I'm not saying some healthier foods and physical activity wouldn't benefit your brother, but I honestly think you may be more worried about this than you should. A lot of the other posters were definitely right when suggesting you try and take him out and have some fun w/ him. If it isn't called exercise and doesn't feel forced, your brother will enjoy it. Good luck!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It depends on where in Texas, but even here (Texan speaking) there are puh-lenty of things to do... But again, it depends on where. But in my city alone there is hiking, biking, canoe/kayak/boating, frisbee golf, indoor rock climbing, among the plethora of sports as well. But no matter where there is always biking and walking as long as you take care in the summer for the heat and don't do it on the major streets.

He's in..Houston I believe. And I'm not argueing that there arent things to do there, his father constantly tells us how much there is to do. I just don't trust him to do anything with him there. His father weighs 300lbs at about 6', pretty sure he doesn't like exercise or eating healthy either. ha

Ohh... there is an awesome state park just north of there... I am itching to go camping out there myself... but like I said, just try your best where you are and hopefully he will take the cues and press his father to get outside while he is here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with encouraging physical activity and healthy eating. Just don't mention anything about him needing to lose weight. That would backfire, for sure.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have 11 and 9 year old boys and they are not as active as I was as a kid, it's just the culture. They do like their video games and electronics but we limit the amount they can play. I agree you should not make it about diet and exercise. Make it about healthy choices like eating better and then being more active. Take him for a hike, it can be very exciting for an 11 year old to hike in the woods. Take walks to somewhere, they like the adventure. If you're into running yourself ask him to join you, but go slow at first so he doesn't get discouraged. Talk to your mom and sign him up for a sport, that definitely makes moving fun. Good luck!
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    I'll also try to get him on the active consoles, like Wii and xbox kinect, since they have that.

Is there anything to say to him or show him to maybe..scare him into eating healthier? haha Or motivate, at least.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with encouraging physical activity and healthy eating. Just don't mention anything about him needing to lose weight. That would backfire, for sure.

I agree with this thought as well.
  • mattmoo33
    mattmoo33 Posts: 36
    Options
    My soon to be 11 year old loves 'helping' me get fit by playing games with me - chasing me in the park, beating me at tennis on the wii etc. He also started playing football every week with a team and has made some great friends there.

Is the school aware that he is being teased about his weight? My son was (although he is very tall for his age his weight is fine) and they were brilliant - maybe the school could help too and increase the opportunities for exercise there?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'll also try to get him on the active consoles, like Wii and xbox kinect, since they have that.

Is there anything to say to him or show him to maybe..scare him into eating healthier? haha Or motivate, at least.

You can talk about health, I suppose. But he's 11, so that's only going to go so far. The best thing to do is make it fun for him.
  • Nparker320
    Nparker320 Posts: 16
    Options
    I currently have the same issue but with my 12 year old step-daughter. My husband and I are in the process of obtaining primary custody so until then we only have her part time and it make it very difficult to encourage her. I really do not know her actual weight since she will not go anywhere near the scale, but she has to be atleast my weight or a little under. She wears a size 16 in womens and in jr's I think it is a 22. We eat fairly clean at home and we are an extremely active family, but when she goes home to her mother it is the total opposite. The encouragement stops when she leaves our home. I too would love suggestions on how to encourage her to make better choices and to encourage her to want to lose weight. You can see her in my profile picture to have an idea of her weight.
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    Yeah, I try not to do anything where he KNOWS it's exercise, but sometimes it's even hard to get him to join in when we're doing something that isn't blatantly exercise. So, I've read all the posts and I appreciate the comments and suggestions! I will try not to push it too much, but I will try to clean out most of the junk in the house so he doesn't feel like he can snack on it all day long.

And, yes, he may be fine and grow into his weight through puberty, since that is normal, but I don't think eating junkfood whenever he is able to is oke, as I'm sure anyone would agree. Not that kids don't eat more junkfood than adults, since they tend to eat a lot more and doesn't affect them the same way. ha But I think a small reduction is nice. :)

I also hope that if I get him on better track, he may be better at his father's place this summer.

Thanks to all!
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    I currently have the same issue but with my 12 year old step-daughter. My husband and I are in the process of obtaining primary custody so until then we only have her part time and it make it very difficult to encourage her. I really do not know her actual weight since she will not go anywhere near the scale, but she has to be atleast my weight or a little under. She wears a size 16 in womens and in jr's I think it is a 22. We eat fairly clean at home and we are an extremely active family, but when she goes home to her mother it is the total opposite. The encouragement stops when she leaves our home. I too would love suggestions on how to encourage her to make better choices and to encourage her to want to lose weight. You can see her in my profile picture to have an idea of her weight.

I'm not sure what to do in that case. I always fuss at his father to not feed him junk and at least walk with him or do SOMETHING, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I don't think there is much YOU can do in that situation, other than talking to her mother.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    What's not being addressed here is his eating habits. He's not obviously buying his food so who's making dinner, where does he get his lunch from and so on?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What my kids do is we are outside ALL the time.The only time we are in the house is if it's raining....If they are in the house playing video games OR watching cartoons then they want to snack. I have noticed by being outside all the time (now that the weather is nicer) they don't want to eat and just want to play. Kids always want to be active and run/play. Is there something at school your brother can do like a playground? Take him there or just take a walk. I have a 4 and a 2 year old. They LOVE to go on our nightly walks. We make it fun so it's not just a boring walk with mom. My oldest will bring her baby stroller with her baby so she's walking the same as me!!! Also that helps with bed time hehe. I would start with a walk and just make it fun in some way. Play games during it. We will play a color game or count how many times we see something. Good Luck!!
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    What's not being addressed here is his eating habits. He's not obviously buying his food so who's making dinner, where does he get his lunch from and so on?

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, he eats healthy enough from me mum, but because she has a seriously sweet tooth, she keeps chocolates all around the house, so he snacks on those.

I'm also peeved at my older brother, since he is very active, very muscular and even ran the 25km Paris marathon and wont help with him! Is frustrating when you're the only one concerned enough. I used to(basically) raise him since no one else was home and I always make healthy dinners and he eats them just fine, but I don't think the food he gets now is as healthy at all.
  • ScarredVampiress
    Options
    What my kids do is we are outside ALL the time.The only time we are in the house is if it's raining....If they are in the house playing video games OR watching cartoons then they want to snack. I have noticed by being outside all the time (now that the weather is nicer) they don't want to eat and just want to play. Kids always want to be active and run/play. Is there something at school your brother can do like a playground? Take him there or just take a walk. I have a 4 and a 2 year old. They LOVE to go on our nightly walks. We make it fun so it's not just a boring walk with mom. My oldest will bring her baby stroller with her baby so she's walking the same as me!!! Also that helps with bed time hehe. I would start with a walk and just make it fun in some way. Play games during it. We will play a color game or count how many times we see something. Good Luck!!

Ha, yeah..We live in Belgium. >.> Meaning, rain. Me mum and brother USED to go on nightly walks, but she's gotten so busy, so doesn't do the walks anymore or he doesn't want to. But it is a nice way to get them outside. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, he eats healthy enough from me mum, but because she has a seriously sweet tooth, she keeps chocolates all around the house, so he snacks on those.

I'm also peeved at my older brother, since he is very active, very muscular and even ran the 25km Paris marathon and wont help with him! Is frustrating when you're the only one concerned enough. I used to(basically) raise him since no one else was home and I always make healthy dinners and he eats them just fine, but I don't think the food he gets now is as healthy at all.
    It starts there with kids. Habits don't change unless there's a change.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    So my first post was before I read everyone else's comments. Don't let anyone tell you he is overweight! He is a growing boy and boys grow much different. You made a comment about how he looks a lot like the boy from Two and a Half Men. Google that boy now and see what he looks like at an older age. He's tall and thinned out. I'm not saying some healthier foods and physical activity wouldn't benefit your brother, but I honestly think you may be more worried about this than you should. A lot of the other posters were definitely right when suggesting you try and take him out and have some fun w/ him. If it isn't called exercise and doesn't feel forced, your brother will enjoy it. Good luck!