No Open Diary

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    "For me, MFP is all about accountability and if you have to hide your diary, you're not allowing yourself to be held accountable. "

Key words: "for you".

Not everyone shares your perspective. I certainly don't see the role of my network of friends to 'hold me accountable'. I have an internal locus of control,and I know how to use it.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Some people don't want people giving them suggestions and advice when they haven't asked for it. My diary is open and my friends are very supportive, but when someone starts giving me unwanted advice and criticism, I don't appreciate it. I'm well aware of what I'm doing and I'm quite happy with it, if I want advice, I ask for it. I don't want someone messaging me because they've seen a bit of fudge in my diary and they don't think it should be there etc. I just deleted a guy the other day because he was blasting me for not drinking any water. Um, actually, all I drink is water and I've never had a problem with that, therefore I feel no need to track it because I know I'm taking in more than enough.

AMEN!!!
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    okay normally i'm not mean....and don't say anything negative.....but this

is just asking for it....

if they really wanted to hide from you....they could just lie on the diary...i mean, this is the internet....all of our pics, activities, comments, exercises, and food intake could be faked

hell....even our gender, our starting weight....all of it

if someone wants your opinion....they prob need to open their diary....if they don't....there's no reason they should

i'm about halfway to my goal and mine is private and will remain so bc i'd like to believe i can trust myself to decide what's best for me
    i am an intelligent, fully grown woman ....i am aware of my mistakes and my failures without aide....

if you need someone else to hold you accountable...opr feel the need to hold others accountable instead of focusing on your own business
    maybe they aren't the one with the issue

if you don't like it or it makes you frustrated ....just hit delete

the beautiful thing about freedom is it goes both ways
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to encourage people.
    Logging your food ... knowing what you really are eating ... that is the first step.

I don't understand why people (meaning the OP) are so judgmental.

What is wrong with a bit of motivation?!? A bit of support??

I'm not asking for YOUR opinion. People that have closed diaries aren't necessarily asking for your opinion either.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    Because some people have a COW if you're not dieting the exact way that They feel is the RIGHT way! .....It gets Really annoying and is rude. i only have mine open for my friends to see.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well excuse me while I vent as well because this one has been getting on my nerves for a good while.

That is ridiculous. I'm tired of seeing threads of people complaining about others having their diarys private. It's none of anybody's business what I am eating. I joined this site at first because it makes it easy for ME to log my food and keep track of my macros. I know how I should be eating and I eat 2000+ a day of good food that doesn't include processed crap and junk. Why should I have my diary open for everybody else to give their opinions on? (Which mine is either public or open to friends..but not the point) The rest of the site is for support but support does NOT just come in the form of reviewing each other's diarys. I don't even look at the diarys of my friends because it's none of my business what kind of foods they are eating to achieve their goals. I am here to support them on their journey and offer up help when they ask.
    Accountability doesn't just limit itself to opening your food log to the world. You can hold YOURSELF accountable with YOUR OWN PRIVATE log. Everybody has a different view on diets whether it is: everything in moderation, clean foods only, etc. So some people might not care for other's remarks about their way of eating.

So I notice your diary isn't open to the public.. =/
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What this has to do with boobies and thongs, I still don't understand.

More boobies and thongs!!! bow-chicka-wow-wow :smooched:
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed and that is my business. I don't need my MFP "friends" giving me advice on what I eat, the same as I don't need my RL FRIENDS giving me advice on what I eat.

OP don't you have more important things to worry about?
  • paulasue145
    Options
    This actually kinda pisses me off!
    Is this a 3 year old tantrum or a control issue?

It's no bodies business what i eat!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    ironically, I can't see the OP's diary...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    ironically, I can't see the OP's diary...

oh-snap-oh-my-gawd-demotivational-posters-1301961753.jpg
  • paulasue145
    Options

Well, if you put in your diary that you ate thongs and didn't make that public knowledge, the OP would have a problem with it! lol
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    This subject has been discussed a lot before and for addition insight on the pro's and con's of this you can use the search function.

For me personally - I am an adult and I'm accountable to myself. What I choose to eat is my business.

Also there are many people on here that suffer from ED, celiac disease, food allergies, diabetes and have restricted diets. They prefer to keep their diaries private to avoid unsolicited advice from people not knowing their medical background.

It's a personal choice - I feel there is no right or wrong. If you are comfortable with it open then go for it. But please respect other people's decision to keep theirs private.

100% agree with this...and i have to add this journey for me is very personal and all my friends have been supportive of me even if i have a closed diary....for me its about encourgement and the comment that might read great job after ive done a workout or am another pound down!!!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I vent.........

Why is it that people make positive comments under people who refuse to open up their diary?
    They say things like great job logging today, how do they know????

For me, MFP is all about accountability and if you have to hide your diary, you're not allowing yourself to be held accountable.
    We all mess up from time to time and we are all trying to retrain our minds but come on folks, be accountable for your actions.

Well, I'm not your friend and I've never posted nor received a post about "great job logging". So perhaps I'm out of line here.....
    But I'm accountable to me and only me. Not you, not my mom, not my friends, not my cats. Me. I keep my diary private because what I eat isn't anyone's business but my own. How much I work out is no one's business but my own. How much weight I've lost is..... well you get the idea.

Maybe you shouldn't worry about others so much and instead, spend more time concentrating on yourself.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Well, if you put in your diary that you ate thongs and didn't make that public knowledge, the OP would have a problem with it! lol

LMFAO:laugh:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My diary is private because I don't need the world wide web to judge what I'm eating. I log on here for myself. I also do not look at others diary because unless they ask for help I could care less what they eat. It's not my place to judge anybody's journey. And to say true friends don't hide things, well I don't call people I've come into contact on a forum my true friends. I have met people on other boards and have developed friendships, but if you have only accepted a friend request from someone how can you call them true friends? I'm grateful for those that I have friended on here but my "true" friends know everything about me and love me anyway. BTW I have deleted you as a friend as you don't like that I don't share my diary. I do wish you well in your journey though.

^^^^^^I second this!!!!

The only people who can give me advice/judge on my food intake are the physicians I see as a patient. No one else, not MFP members, not family members, just the doctors I see on a routine and regular basis.

What they advise me to follow is what Im following. That advice is never directed to anyone by me because its exactly like a prescription: directions on what I need to do because its based on my medical circumstances/history/diagnoses, etc. And, Im complying with their directions.

I dont care what people are eating and documenting in their's.. its none of my business. If they want to cause problems for theirself - they have to hold theirSELF accountable for the choices they made. Its not my business, its not for me to pass judgement and I have enough of my medical problems going on to focus on, I dont focus on others... I have to make myself a priority in using the tracker/logs to keep track, stay focused and send the data to the doctors who oversee my care.

If someone asked me for the recipe of something they saw in my food diary - YEAH SURE... Ill gladly share how I made it! If someone asked me "Hey Cramer, would you mind taking a look at something for me?".. Only then will I help out. The people in my friends list know I wont be rude to them nor will I give them unsolicited direction/advice and thats just plain wrong.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What makes you think we need your opinion? LOL
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am accountable to myself...I don't need anyone else to hold me accountable. If I did, I'd open my diary and people wouldn't understand half the stuff I eat anyway because it's not American food. I don't need someone to tell me if what I'm eating is good or bad, I'm a grown up and can judge for myself.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    when I first came here I had my diary private because I was dealing with an eating disorder and eating under calories. I wasn't confident that I would not be judged by my eating habits as I was working on dealing with them. I now have my diary public most of my friends are supportive of my diary but some critize my eating calories not taking into account I eat healthy calories and am full and satisfied and they bark at me saying eat more are you starving yourself etc.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

So I notice your diary isn't open to the public.. =/

Yup.. youre right.. the OP's diary is not open to the public....