Silk (soy milk) VS Skim Milk

Options

Replies

• callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My dad recently started drinking SILK instead of his normal Skim Milk... after trying one of his flavored Silks (almond dark chocolate) I must say that it is pretty good! And we are a HUGE milk drinking family... but I wondered... what is the real benefits to switching to Soy Milk? And how many of you are Pro Silk and how many are pro Skim Milk (flavored or not)? THANKS!!

Drink full fat milk. Fat is good for you.
    Skim milk has more carbs, did you know that?

Soy milk, if it tastes good, has a *kitten* load of SUGAR in it. VERRRRY healthy :P

And yes, men have developed tits from drinking Soy milk on a daily basis. Soy contains estrogen.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    One final note...Soy can be bad for girls too...

My coworker's daughter had pain iin her chest area...She is about 6 years old...They took her to the doctor and she had lumps and the docotor asked her what she ate...and drink...

My coworker said that she only drinks soy milk..she hates water, and juice...only liquids she drink is soy...and that caused her to develp breast too soon...something about the high levels of estrogen in it? cazy...

Yes it's true and can cause girls to sat art their cycles too early as well. Plus is a top FIVE allergen even mores than dairy.

Exactly. I have PCOS I don't need to add to my hormonal issues.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk vanilla. I hate mile and it makes me sick. I don't drink the soy straight but if I make something that needs milk that's what I use.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The cow's milk we drink is after the calf is weaned. Cows were created to keep lactating long after the calf is gone. With that reasoning we should only drink our mother's milk since that is for humans. And let's face it ,soy doesn't have babiesLOL. It's a matter of taste, allergies or preference. We certainly are not depriving calves .( Relatives own a dairy farm.)
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wish I was armed with this information YEARS ago, it's what triggered my thyroid issues and caused 80 lbs in like two years. I never knew why until I research and even tested it out with before and after lab results.

My coworker's daughter had pain iin her chest area...She is about 6 years old...They took her to the doctor and she had lumps and the docotor asked her what she ate...and drink...

My coworker said that she only drinks soy milk..she hates water, and juice...only liquids she drink is soy...and that caused her to develp breast too soon...something about the high levels of estrogen in it? cazy...

Yes it's true and can cause girls to sat art their cycles too early as well. Plus is a top FIVE allergen even mores than dairy.

Exactly. I have PCOS I don't need to add to my hormonal issues.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

That's insane!!! My daughter only drinks soy milk once in a while. I tell her if she doesn't want water then obviously she isn't as thirsty as she says she is. She tries the whole "I only like juice at bedtime!" crap with me and I tell her to pretend water is juice. Guess who has a glass of water every night before bed after the whole "I only like juice" crap fails?

I'd say she only has soy in her cereal which is only on Saturdays and maybe a glass with lunch every once in a while.

I think your daughter is fine...My co-worker knows I am into fitness and she asked me was it ok for her daughter to drink soy...and of course my response was yes...but then she kept going on about how she had chest pains and stuff...and that she only drinks soy milk nothing else...Of course I go "not even koolaid?"...she goes nope..not even koolaid..she asks for soy milk all day every day....because she gets sick when she drinks cow's milk....So I told her to take her daughter to a doctor...the first doctor didn't know what was causing it...then the second doctor did a chest scan and saw she was developing breasts...SIX years old...So she had to switch her daughters milk to almond...She had to lie to her daughter and tell her it was soy she would drink it....
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There are great alternatives to milk or soy....

Hemp
    Organic brown rice
    Hazelnut is awesome
    Almond
    Coconut
    I love unsweetened coconut mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Many people worry about the affect that soy milk has on our hormone levels. I would think that the massive amount of hormones and steroids they inject into dairy cows to make them produce more milk also has an affect on our hormone levels.
    I'll drink soy milk over cows milk but on a regular basis almond milk, rice milk or coconut milk are probably better for you than soy milk.

In the US, you can buy certified non-rBGH milk. That said, depending upon market conditions, the cost of the rBGH and the extra feed the cows consume to produce the incremental milk often exceeds the market value of the incremental milk. The farmers I have known are good businessmen, and wouldn't pump up the cows for something that doesn't pay back.

I started buying non-rBGH on the theory that it would help my adolecent's acne; if anything, it's worse, so I'll likely save myself the 40 cents per gallon....
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

A little girl that age getting a breast bud is not necessarily tied to soy. My daughter had this problem when she was in Pre-K (so 4 1/2 or so) and she was drinking three or four glasses of cow's milk a day at that time. Doc never said anything about what could "make it happen." She just said that sometimes girls just get a premature breast bud from a surge of hormones and that the body will level back out and fix it.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ever since reading Skinny B***tch I couldn't imagine why I, as an adult, was drinking the milk of another animal, ment for their babies. Since thinking about it that way I am too grossed out by cows milk. I like Rice Dream, almond milk and flavored soy milk is delicious.

same! you wouldn't feel a calf human breast milk so why do i drink cow milk? yuck.

That and the fact that Calfs (BABY cows) are the 'by product' of the Dairy industry and they get killed for milk production.
    Any Soya, Almond, Coconut or Hemp drinks are fine with me.

All taste awesome!! AND no Calfs killed in the making of them. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Wow, you certainly know a lot of people negatively affected by soy, huh? But it's better than growing udders, which is what happened to the wife of this guy that work's with my cousin's friend from drinking milk.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for baby cows. :wink: I use Silk Organic Soy Milk (no GMO's) in my cereal every morning or once in a while when I want something sweet I use Vanilla Almond Milk.

If cow milk is for cows... then you must believe making MILK from a BEAN is even more wrong! :explode: Your logic defeats you!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

WOW!

Girls can start their cycle early for any reason. I started my period when I was 8 and everyone at the time blamed the hormones in cows milk. Now we are blaming soy? what's next?
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

A little girl that age getting a breast bud is not necessarily tied to soy. My daughter had this problem when she was in Pre-K (so 4 1/2 or so) and she was drinking three or four glasses of cow's milk a day at that time. Doc never said anything about what could "make it happen." She just said that sometimes girls just get a premature breast bud from a surge of hormones and that the body will level back out and fix it.

Um ...you do know that the hormone in women that drives all that is Estrogen...AND you do know Soy is high in estrogen?

Not only was the doctor concerned about her having breast too soon..The doctor was concerend about the cell count doubling so fast...and possible risk to BREAST CANCER in the future...see people who ignore the signs end up getting themselves in serious trouble...

all I can say is...her daughter isn't on soy...and she isn't having chest pains...call it luck...call it BS...I call it a mother stepping up and thinking outside the box...because before all that happend she snarked at anyone who told her it was not healhty to give her child too much soy milk...

have a good day..
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    The moral of the story here...

is too much of anything CAN be bad for you...
    Hell I drink soy...

you can add me and look in my diary...I have Cow milk in there and Soy milk for today...

and don't be surprised if you see almond milk in there another day...

i drink them all in moderation...soy and cow's milk isnt the blame...just monitor your intake listen to your body and get checked out...it's pretty simple
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soy milk, if it tastes good, has a *kitten* load of SUGAR in it. VERRRRY healthy :P

And yes, men have developed tits from drinking Soy milk on a daily basis. Soy contains estrogen.

"tastes good" is just your opinion. You can buy unsweetened soy milk. I've been drinking it daily for over a decade and say it taste good.

Soy does not contain estrogen. It's contains phytoestrogen, which is different. Phytoestrogen has been shown to regulate estrogen level in humans, raising them when needed and lowering them when there is too much.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

WOW!

Girls can start their cycle early for any reason. I started my period when I was 8 and everyone at the time blamed the hormones in cows milk. Now we are blaming soy? what's next?

8?! Oh boy. I thought I had it bad at 11 and then my daughter was 10. She hates soy, so I know the soy didn't do it. :p Must be the milk she drank when she was a little 'un (she used to drink it a lot when she received WIC when I was a single mom). It simply MUST be...

Nevermind that my daughter who goes through a half gallon of soy milk every few days (and is over 6) doesn't have the slightest little tiny hint of buds...

Sometimes, stuff just HAPPENS that has more to do with genetics than what we eat/drink.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to cow's milk, soy and almond so I drink rice milk (chocolate rice milk or chocolate coconut milk for my protein shakes).

It's a preference thing for most people.
    If I could have cow's milk again, I would.

I'm allowed to introduce Goat's milk into my diet next year and that's what I'll be doing.

I've heard a lot of negative and positive things about soy, but it's also in EVERYTHING if you read labels so even if I was allowed to have it I think I'd be getting enough through other foods. (seriously....you buy frozen chicken breasts....there is soy in it, gum has soy, chocolate has soy, soy is like the slut of the grocery store and has worked it's way into every aisle)
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

WOW!

8?! Oh boy. I thought I had it bad at 11 and then my daughter was 10. She hates soy, so I know the soy didn't do it. :p Must be the milk she drank when she was a little 'un (she used to drink it a lot when she received WIC when I was a single mom). It simply MUST be...

Nevermind that my daughter who goes through a half gallon of soy milk every few days (and is over 6) doesn't have the slightest little tiny hint of buds...

Sometimes, stuff just HAPPENS that has more to do with genetics than what we eat/drink.

It was not fun believe me. When my mom told me I couldn't go swimming the one time because of it I was in tears. And of course I couldn't wear tampons until I was 19 so yeah, no swimming when all of your friends are swimming every day in the summer? No fun! I already started to develop boobs around the time I started but by the time I was in 4th grade I was a small B cup, needed to shave my pits and legs, and I was MOODY!!!!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    soy is like the slut of the grocery store and has worked it's way into every aisle)

:laugh: