Silk (soy milk) VS Skim Milk

Options

Replies

• mdjenks14
    mdjenks14 Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile: Switch to Almond milk.
    Soy isnt something to drink on a regualr basis.
    You should also try raw goats milk, its delish and doesnt have harmful ingredients!
  • limbopanto
    limbopanto Posts: 25
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the taste and texture of soy and almond milk. I recently tried hazelnut which was very nice too. I don't really think soy is that dangerous unless you're having it in very large quantities.
  • Montanarush
    Montanarush Posts: 76
    Options
    I was drinking Silk until I heard that it turns into estrogen in a guy, and makes your boobs grow! Not something I was hoping to accomplish... I now drink Almond breeze Almond milk and almond-coconut blend. No adverse effects from it, and it tastes really good. I only use it to mix with my whey protein.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I stick with soy, almond or coconut milk. I like unflavored soy for cooking, unsweetend almond for cereal and coconut for making hot cocoa. :D
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i drink skim, soy, almond and rice milk.....i like chocoalte soy and DEF choc almond....the soy vanilla is really good in cerial. Oh and chocolate rice milk is really good too, great for fixing your chocoalte cravings that may come once a month
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My dad recently started drinking SILK instead of his normal Skim Milk... after trying one of his flavored Silks (almond dark chocolate) I must say that it is pretty good! And we are a HUGE milk drinking family... but I wondered... what is the real benefits to switching to Soy Milk? And how many of you are Pro Silk and how many are pro Skim Milk (flavored or not)? THANKS!!

I never drink any milk straight, but I have a homemade chai latte every morning. I like the taste of silk better and it's fewer calories. I switched initially, though, because I am developing lactose intolerance, one dairy product at a time. :-(

A lot of people will tell you almond milk is better than soy, but soy has far more protein and even more potassium than almond, so I stick with soy.
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I switched to Silk Almond Milk - only because i can't have regular milk (lactose intolerant), and soy does the same thing as regular milk (so i am thinking i am allergic to soy)...But I love Almond milk, its so tasty. I drink dark chocolate almond milk for my post workout drink. :drinker: :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ever since reading Skinny B***tch I couldn't imagine why I, as an adult, was drinking the milk of another animal, ment for their babies. Since thinking about it that way I am too grossed out by cows milk. I like Rice Dream, almond milk and flavored soy milk is delicious.

same! you wouldn't feel a calf human breast milk so why do i drink cow milk? yuck.

You wouldn't feed a calf ground beef, either. Or chicken or bacon. Or even an egg.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    For my Ceral I use Almond Milk. For the other stuff I use Skim Milk.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's not a competition between the two where you need to pick one or the other. They are different products with different macros. Either one can fit into most anybody's day, depending on how you plan your day out.
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy almond milk. Yum!!
  • HeatherWestgate
    HeatherWestgate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Many people worry about the affect that soy milk has on our hormone levels. I would think that the massive amount of hormones and steroids they inject into dairy cows to make them produce more milk also has an affect on our hormone levels.
    I'll drink soy milk over cows milk but on a regular basis almond milk, rice milk or coconut milk are probably better for you than soy milk.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I personally like coconut milk and almond milk.

I'm lactose intolerant,so I don't care much for milk. I'll drink soy milk at Starbucks but that's about it. Too much soy has health concerns linked to it as far as phytoestrogens and poor protein absorption (before anyone attacks this statement -- pay attention to the word "concerns").

^ This.

I'm lactose-intolerant as well and instead of jumping to soy milk (other than when at Starbucks) we drink lactose-free milk, which is still dairy.

Almond and coconut milk are "healthier" if you're concerned about too much soy milk.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I drink organic skim milk. I don't know the benefits, but it is pretty low in calories and it tastes better to me. My fiance drinks organic vanilla soy milk. I buy organic because it lasts longer than non organic so it doesn't spoil before I finish it, he gets organic because it's better to eat/drink organic soy products. He likes the taste better and dairy bothers his stomach. I can't drink his milk because I can't get over the taste enough to really even give it a try.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I purchase my milk from a local dairy, the cows there aren't given "extra" hormones to produce more. It's a small'ish family owned-dairy.

I've had goat's milk, almond, soy, etc....The milk I buy now has a better flavor than the rest.

To each their own, if it fits into your daily calories/etc...than do what's right for you. :)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I avoid milk anyway, but there's also some evidence that the casein in cow's milk promotes tumor growth in humans. Since both my parents died of cancer, I don't drink milk and try to eat a vegan diet.
  • carld256
    Options
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

For any guys drinking or use soy for a protein. Just an FYI

I had a friend who developed those same symptoms. His Dr. said it came from eating too much factory raised, hormone-soaked chicken. He stopped eating it and his booblets went away.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Soy in just about all forms is utter and complete garbage. It HAS been shown to increase estrogen levels in men, especailly those that are developing (young boys). It also is a known problem for people with thyroid conditions, PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

If you are going to drink milk you are much better off drinking almond, coconut or FULL FAT dairy. Drinking skim milk seems very counter productive, as they take out all the good parts of the milk and leave all the garbage, plus it tastes horrible compared to whole milk. Sugars are also added to skim milks to make up for the lack of flavor from fat. In the grand scheme of things, there really isn't that much of a calorie savings (as if calories even really matter) between whole and skim milk, and with more nourishing fat and less sugar seems like whole is the way to go for dairy.

I personally don't use any milk except almond or coconut on rare occasions when a recipe calls for it.
  • carld256
    Options
    Soy is not garbage, and does not raise estrogen levels in men, and has positive benefits on diabetes and insulin resistance.