What made you decide to lose weight?

Options
What made you decide to lose weight, and how did you keep yourself motivated from going back to your old lifestyle habits?

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I hated feeling like I was stuffed into all my clothes.
    I wasn't feeling confident anymore & just wanted to hide my body.
    Plus, when I stepped on the scale and saw JUST how much I weighed I knew that I had to lose some weight...

I am keeping motivated by the fact that I see my body changing. Every day I am realizing that I CAN do this...that work hard really does pay off!

It helps seeing all the success stories on MFP. And knowing that I won't just look good for my wedding in July but that I'll feel good too!
  • healthieryou
    Options
    One of my girlfriends asked me to join the site and then I did. I saw that I was becoming successful so I channeled that energy and kept going.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    in 1996 I weighed 300 pounds and was tired of seeing that girl staring at me in the mirror so I began to do something about it. began to do mini goals to make the changes I need to do.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I hated the way I looked...felt so tired all the time...My sister posted a pic of me on FB... and I truly looked pregnant... changed my lfe completely! Thanks Sis! That was my AHA moment.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I decided to sort myself out as i have been very unhealthy for a few years smoking ciggies, pot, drinking loads and eating crap. Figured if i dont do something now i never will. So i gave up smoking on New Years Day and started P90X a month later. Havn't smoked since then and have recently just finished my first 90 days of P90X. I am now in the best shape of my life. So far. :smile:
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Graduation (university) pic that made me look like I was wearing a tent rather than a gown. Even after going up in sizes and seeing my weight reach its heighest, it was the pictures from graduation that tossed me over the edge.

Staying with it? The people of MFP. This is the longest I've gone losing weight. It's slow, but it has stayed off and that is what is important for me.
  • uxbridgeheli
    Options
    When I stepped on the scales and saw I was heavier than I was when I was 9 months pregnant.
    I was 40 years old and 41 was approaching fast.
    I had an inclin my husband was having an affair.
    Put them all together and I just didn't want to be big anymore.
    Don't get me wrong, I was nearing 11 1/2 stone and that's not huge, but as an ex-dancer for me it felt huge.
    So I was determined to get to goal while I was still 40. And I did it too.
    And now, I just know there is no way I ever want to go back to the way I was.
    I have a handsome slim boyfriend who is weight and health conscious so that really helps me too.
    H x
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I went to my Goddaughters birthday party and had a picture taken with my two best friends, my friends mother posted it on FB and I wanted to die! It's on my profile as a constant reminder of where I was. I also hated who I saw in the mirror, becuase the fat version of me I was looking at just isn't the right me!
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I am fed up of hiding behind frumpy dark clothes so know one can see me. I have to little girls that i want to set a good example to. They have beautiful clothes and i want that for myself. I struggle with motivation. But i guess the main thing is when you have a bad day it does not mean you have to start again it just means you have to put it behind you and carry on x
  • shobelitz
    shobelitz Posts: 34
    Options
    im genetically predisposed to getting Diabetes.. and i promised myself that i need to take care of my body as much as possible if I want to do anything i want to do. plus the thought of me getting sick is just unbearable considering im a nurse. im suppose to spearhead wellness and healthy living. im not saying i don't cheat or go back to my old habits (binge eating) now and then.. what i do with these challenges though makes it different. before, i gave in to my old habits and let myself go for about a week and then go back to square one.. but now, if i feel like im slipping, i think to myself that "ok, i enjoyed that bag of nachos. i just need to burn more calories later"..
    so yeah, that's pretty much it. ^^

feel free to add me up! i love motivating people.. it inspires me to do more if im doing something good for others.. ^^
  • dmzf
    dmzf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Seeing myself in pictures with my son and hating the fact that those memories are so sweet when I look at him and not wanting him to look at them some day and see me that way. We both deserve a better me.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    For completely vain reasons...
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My son. He was starting Freshman year, freshman football. His practice started in the summer of 2011 and it was over 100 degrees when he would have to get out there. I wanted to be an example of fitness since it was not happening from his dad. It will be a year on June14 since I started this journey, I'm on. I've lost at points up to 40 pounds, it flucuates as I have been gaining muscle since the new year. I look and feel great, and my son is still involved in the athletic program and will start his JV year. Just found out today! So it's paid off for both of us. :)
  • victoriaannewilliams
    victoriaannewilliams Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all the stories guys!!! I've been trying to lose weight forever, but I will do good and lose 5lbs, and then i will mess up and gain all of it back. I need to stay motivated!!!!
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I hated the way I felt and the way I looked. Clothes were getting tighter and I didn't want to have to buy more bigger clothes. Also, my bf is thin so I didn't want to be his fat girlfriend. I use to get hit on (even with him around) and that stopped. I was just sick of being a fat, unhealthy girl.

A lot of things motivate me but I think the biggest one is my 10 year high school reunion next year. I want to be in better shape then I was in high school! Also, getting married and having kids in the next five years or so (hopefully). MFP success stories/pictures keep me motivated a TON. I see girls photos who are my height and were my weight and to see them now with tight, flat abs, damn.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    When I was at 204lbs and 28% BF, after sex I was worn out. I knew it was time to change. I fluctuate between 195 and 180 right now, but looking to get down to 165 so sex will be better, more efficient, and not induce a heart attack.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I saw posts and pictures friends had shared on Facebook about the Tough Mudder, and I was literally jealous that I couldn't participate. I knew I had to get fit if I didn't want to feel left out again. That was in October 2011.

I stay motivated by...well, it's just something that I have committed to, like my marriage. Haha. It's a decision that I made. I can visualize the results, and if I quit, what kind of message will I be giving my children? Also, I made a decision to share my success on Facebook. If I started posting comments about losing weight and then all of a sudden stopped posting topics, I would look like such a loser. Posting a regular update about my progress keeps me ACCOUNTABLE.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For completely vain reasons...
    Me too! I used to make all the men drool I so wanna see that happen just one more time before I am too old :tongue:
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My huband wanted to get family pictures done but I wouldn't because I so hated the way I looked. At Christmas this year my sister put a picture of me on facebook and I looked like I blew up. I didn't like what I was seeing. Hard to believe just 5 years ago I was thin. Since then I had four miscarrages and a lot of steriod medications. So I did literally blow up.

What keeps me motovated looking at myself in the mirrow each day is a constant reminder. I like who I am just not how I look.
  • kryscallarman
    kryscallarman Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    -Pain in my joints
    -Limited clothing due to my fat (not my height)
    -Being the largest in my office
    -Seeing what the extra weight has done to my family
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!