What made you decide to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Went shopping for clothes to wear on vacation. Had to buy size 26/28 to fit my 280 lbs. :angry: On the flight home, God blessed me to sit next to someone who was a fitness and nutrition expert, AND had been my size. She was down to a size 8. She told me about MFP, and I joined shortly after I got back from that trip.:bigsmile: So initially, my reasons were primarily vanity. But then, I realized that losing weight could help me come off my diabetes and high blood pressure meds.
  • losangelista
    losangelista Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 and my clothes are too tight. There's a pair of my favorite skinny jeans that I can't wait to wear again.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and have scoliosis, felt ridiculous that someone my age should have a back as bad as I do. I started exercising a year ago, only started losing weight less than 4 months ago. I got to the point where I realised core strengthening and staying active only took me so far, and that my back would be so much better if I got rid of the fat around my mid section. I've lost 9kg so far and my back is definitely better, but I've still got a long way to go - at least another 17kg and going to take up weight lifting soon (with a trainer of course). I also don't want the health problems my family has, and I don't want to get older and be immobile due to my weight, even if I wasn't "morbidly obese".

That's my number one motivator. But looking good, being fit and strong is another!
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Seriously it all started when I tried on these beautiful pink jeans that were on sale and really tight fitting...my friend said "girl put those back they're too tight"...and then other things led me to seek loosing weight...such as...

-feeling better about myself
    -looking better
    -finish what I started
    -never wanting to feel fat again
    -not letting this be just a phase
    -im single and feel its my duty to look good, so when mr.husband shows up...BAM BINGO for him and me lol :bigsmile:

12146223.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

**BY THE WAY I BOUGHT THOSE JEANS...AND THEY GETTING THERE :wink: ....
  • sparkie2bfit
    Options
    My son and daughter in law invited my husband and I to MFP and the day by day steps gave me a jump start. I have been at a plateau for the last month but I am continuing onward and looking toward my goal, A health back and more energy to play with my grandchildren.
  • Jog72
    Jog72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I realised I was limiting the fun I can have in old age because of the lifestyle I have now, it all clicked in to place. My grandma was fit and fun well in to her late seventies and I was aching, tired, and miserable at 39?? My mum chose a different path and at 66 survives on a diet of pills for ailments caused by not taking care of herself. She's been "on a diet" for all of my life!

My weight was psychological, I could hide behind my voluptuous exterior, the life and soul of the party, big smile guaranteed! Inside I'd be beating myself up for not being good enough, too scared to show the real me. So I changed my lifestyle inside and out, I've learned to love myself and accept who I am. I'm a lovely person and showing that to others has motivated me to keep healthy to give myself the life I deserve.

I have a job I love that I don't ever need to retire from, my life is good so I decided to give myself as long as possible in this world. I turn 40 in a few weeks and with just 14lbs to go I'm fitter and healthier than ever. Bring on the next 40 years....I'm ready :o)
  • jeremy_c
    jeremy_c Posts: 21
    Options
    We I weighed myself and realized I just left the "normal" range and entered the "overweight" range. Gotta be a good example and healthy for my children and my wife!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to lose weight for the last few years. I hate the way I look in clothes, and shopping for new ones can bring me to tears.A friend (who is about my size) from HS had a stroke 7 months ago, just weeks before her 37th birthday. She lived, but had to move in with her mother after rehab. She is wheelchair dependent and still does not have use of one arm :(

I've been telling hubby for several years that we really needed a Y membership. The first time we had one, I went 3-4 times a week, and was averaging 12-15 miles on the treadmill a week. Our youngest broke his leg and was in a body cast for 5 weeks, and I couldn't go while he was in the cast...I just sort of lost my motivation. I had gained almost 60 additional pounds since then! We re-joined the Y the first week in February, and I have been there at least 2x per week ever since--most weeks it is 3-4 times a week!
  • happyagain80
    happyagain80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Several reasons! My kids can't fit their hands around me, felt chest pain for the first time ever, back legs and feet hurt from carrying the weight, about to graduate nursing school and need to live by example, and my diva clothes got more expensive in larger sizes!
  • emanna11
    emanna11 Posts: 57
    Options
    * We go on cruises every year and a half. I hated all the excursions I couldn't do because I was too out of shape to do them when we went last April. Not to mention spending an entire week in a swimsuit and sundresses. When I look at the pictures from our last cruise, I looked miserable, and awful.

* I was a chubby asthmatic kid who always felt left out. I have a 3 year old daughter, and I want her to be healthy and active and keep up with her playmates. I already see the difference in her since I started getting healthy in January and take her to classes at our Y!

*My DH and I have a competion going... whomever loses the most (percentage) weight by our next cruise ( in December) gets to pick our next vacation!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It was what I call the triple convergence...

1. I strained a side muscle wiping my but.
    2. I would be out of breath after tying my shoes.
    3. Dr. told me I had Type II diabetes with an A1c of 6.7

I don't know if just ONE would've given me enough of a push, but all three in triplicate indicated that I needed to get off my but and do something. So far, lost 51 lbs (248 to 197)., A1c down to 5.7 (normal), BP from 140/70 to 116/60, cholesterol from 191 to 156, triglycerides from 175 to 115.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    After two pregnancies riddled with complications that put both me and my babies at risk, I decided enough was enough. Losing weight doesn't guarentee a perfect pregnancy but it cuts down on a lot of the risk. If I ever have another baby I don't want to go through what I went through before. That and I couldn't fit in my clothes anymore lol
  • mschell2u
    mschell2u Posts: 9
    Options
    I saw a video on Netflix called "Fat, sick and nearly dead" about a guy who fasted for 60 days. It wasn't so much his journey that got to me (although he and another guy he converted to juicing had incredible losses) but all the people who were really fat and making excuses as to why they wouldn't get healthy. "I don't have control" "I'd rather die fat and happy" I hate to say it but I saw myself in them. When he asked one lady what she thought would motivate her to lose weight she said "well I guess I'll just wake up one morning and change." That really got to me. What am I waiting for?What will it take to get me to change my eating habits and be healthy and feel better about myself? So I decided then and there i was going to get healthy and I was going to change my life.
    I'm tired of not having energy, aching, embarrasment from climbing stairs and not able to talk, don't enjoy shopping blah blah blah. I'm just over being fat. Just getting started. I've lost 11 lbs (10 before I joined MFP) I have a way to go but I'm not looking back.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Realizing how unhealthy I had become AGAIN. I am prediabetic, have sleep apnea, I'm tired all the time, and I have no self esteem. Plus, I turned 29 last month, and didn't want to struggle in my 30's the way I did in my 20's
  • westpen
    westpen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself and thought, there's no way I really look like that. So that's really what started it all. I was just kind of disgusted with myself.
  • peytonturk
    peytonturk Posts: 49
    Options
    My best friend died from a heart attack last year at the age of 32. I will be 32 this year. I want to see 33 for me and him.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was 32 and had gout, high cholesterol. That didn't work so i changed for me, my kids and my wife.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A 13 A1c and the fact my grandmother died a diabetic complications when she was 3 yrs older then I am now.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    for my self confidence, how i look in and out of clothing, my husband, and to be a better role model for my children. Sorry it's not just 1 reason.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Well, I always knew I should, because I'm fat (still am, I was just fatter before).

But it was when I went to hug my cousin, and he grabbed my arm fat and said 'BYE-BYE ARMS!' that really kicked me into it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!