Wellbutrin and weight loss

Options
I am looking for those that have been on Wellbutrin before. I am currently on Celexa 40 mg for depression starting in Nov 2011 when I became suicidal. Well, one of the biggest side effects of it is weight gain in which I have gained 15 lbs. I have been watching my diet and exercising faithfully 4 days/week with no success. Today, I saw my dr and told her of my concern. She said that my anti-depressant is very much the culprit, so we are transitioning me to Wellbutrin. For the next 2 weeks, I will be take 20 mg of Celexa along with my Wellbutrin then just Wellbutrin. I am looking for those that have been on it while trying to lose weight - any success? Any issues? She said if it works for me, I should notice a difference in a few weeks. I have worked really hard on my weight, and I don't want to start putting it back on again. These 15 lbs that I have "gained" really, really bother me. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I took lexapro for years which packed on some weight. I was switched to wellbutrin xl and have lost that weight. It also seems to curb my appetite as well. I did have a constant headache for about 2 weeks that eventually went away. Just try to give it a few weeks, it will be worth it. Good Luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, people gain 10 pounds or so on Celexa and that's it. I gained 15 but lost it easily. However, since then I have had trouble losing at all.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I was on Wellbutrin last year to help me quit smoking, I lost weight on it...mostly because I didn't have much of an appetite and I couldn't stay out of the bathroom :0
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was on wellbutrin and did not have any weight gain. It also worked as an appetite suppressant. I really liked it, but I know that it didn't work for everyone and some people became more depressed on it, so just monitor your symptoms.

Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies/fiber when you're on it. My system got a bit clogged up on it initially which was painful and caused temporary weight gain until I got things moving again. :blushing:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was on Wellbutrin last year to help me quit smoking, I lost weight on it...mostly because I didn't have much of an appetite and I couldn't stay out of the bathroom :0

Really? I had the exact opposite reaction! Weird how every body is different!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I was on it to help me quit smoking....It gave me heart palpitations, whacked out dreams, and made me go frigging nuts...like literally crying one second, then happy the next, then ready to kill someone right after that...kinda nuts. I did however lose 5 lbs my first week on it...but after day 13 I couldn't handle it anymore...and I have been on quite a few things for depression. I think it is worth a try, just watch yourself on it and if you start feeling odd call your doc right away:)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Really? I had the exact opposite reaction! Weird how every body is different!

Very true!
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was actually on wellbutrin for awhile several years ago... I could barely eat anything when I was on it, because eating made me feel sick to my stomach. Even with eating very little...I never lost a pound. It was kind of irritating
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ive been on Wellbutrin for a couple of months now after being on other things that have caused weight gain. I have lost 6 lbs but Ive also started going to the gym so I dont know what caused it. Im still trying to get my dosage right. Currently Im on 150mg 2 times a day and I dont know if thats enough for me. I guess even if I had no change in weight, its better than gaining right?
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am looking for those that have been on Wellbutrin before. I am currently on Celexa 40 mg for depression starting in Nov 2011 when I became suicidal. Well, one of the biggest side effects of it is weight gain in which I have gained 15 lbs. I have been watching my diet and exercising faithfully 4 days/week with no success. Today, I saw my dr and told her of my concern. She said that my anti-depressant is very much the culprit, so we are transitioning me to Wellbutrin. For the next 2 weeks, I will be take 20 mg of Celexa along with my Wellbutrin then just Wellbutrin. I am looking for those that have been on it while trying to lose weight - any success? Any issues? She said if it works for me, I should notice a difference in a few weeks. I have worked really hard on my weight, and I don't want to start putting it back on again. These 15 lbs that I have "gained" really, really bother me. Thanks in advance.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just started back on 300 XL two weeks ago. Was very down and apathetic. Now I have been reading again, working out and watching what I eat. I am down 7 pounds since then. Watch out for the nightmare the first few nights. And take it in the morning not at night or you wont sleep..
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm on Lexapro, been on it for a couple weeks, i havent had any weight change.... yet i am hoping i dont.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started taking it about 6 months ago along with the Lexapro I was already taking. I did not gain any additional weight and am not having a problem losing weight now. If I recall correctly from when I first started taking it and read information about it, it often actually causes people to lose weight. I didn't have that experience, but I am psychologically feeling SO much better that I am actually able to take care of myself nutrition and fitness-wise, instead of being all 'oh I'm going to die anyway who cares life is dumb' (please take that for the light-hearted description of depression that it is).

But we are all different.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Once my insurance kicks in I'm going back on my wellbutrin. One side effect of it is usually weight loss. For me, the best side effect is that I can sleep better and hurt less, so I'm able to be more active.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I take wellbutrin right now for nicotine cessation. I was very angry for the first week on it. I stuck with it though and feel normal. Hasn't affected my weight loss negatively at all.
  • twocanjan
    twocanjan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am on abilify and wellbutrin. I have lost 25 pounds so far but have been on several that made me gain weight. I think you are in good hands. Feel free to friend me. I could use someone in simular situation. I am bipolar and did ect's for 3 years because of suicidal tendencies.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Im on Wellbutrin,between that and the implanon in my arm, i was doomed to gain weight i gained at least 15-20lbs because of it. I dont blame it completly though you gotta know when your also not helping yourself and carelessly eat which i was...i dont plan on getting off either, the BC implantation is good i do like it but if it means i gotta fight the weight i'll do it, just work that much harder
  • FindJulie
    FindJulie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight while on anti-depressants is really hard because you are already feeling down and the weight doesn't help. But just remember that without mental health, you have no health at all. I really haven't heard of anyone gaining weight on Wellbutrin, but it is an entirely different class of meds so monitor yourself carefully and be sure you're not slipping emotionally while on it. Wishing you excellent luck and good health!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I take both Wellbutrin and Celexa, and have been able to lose weight. I did put some weight on initially, but since I've been on here and actually tracking things I've been able to lose weight.

My take is that the medication maybe increased my appetite, and when I wasn't tracking my foods, I ate more. Once I started making everything I eat a conscious decision, and not just eating because I'm hungry, it hasn't been a real problem.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been on effexor and wellbutrin for the past 6 months and in that time frame I've gained 35 lbs. I just got off the effexor and I could talk all day about the horrendous side effects (weight gain being the lessor of the evils). Now I'm on 150 2x day and the only bad side effect I get is ringing in the ears. Wellbutrin is one of the only anti depressants that are not supposed to cause weight gain or be weight neutral. You might want to look into some of the gov publications on trials. For me, wellbutrin doesn't do a real good job for the depression. I'm currently trying yoga therapy. I'm still on the wellbutrin and going to see how it goes alone for the next two weeks.

If you look at my diary it pretty much stayed the same with my food intake and exercise. I've been pretty down on myself about the weight gain and feel like crap. Some of these anti depressants cause a metabolic syndrome also.

My advice is to be very cautious when trying anti depressants because once you are on them your Dr. will keep giving you more and more pills to try and "help" you and before you know it you'll be sucked in.