is it possible after 40 ???

Options

Replies

• MissLexiLoo
    MissLexiLoo Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm 47 and I've lost over 100 pounds in the last few years. It can be done!

wow! great job!!!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's possible. I gained 15 lbs. the year I turned 40. Then, after my 41st birthday I started eating less, exercising more, and lost those 15 lbs., plus another 38 lbs. in 11 months. I turn 43 in August and am still maintaining. The best advice I can give you is don't undereat! It slows your metabolism. Good luck!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and started lifting weights. I do see toning and muscles and have so much energy! I also joined the Eat More To Weigh Less group on this site. It has been a real eye opener to improve my body and eat more to fuel it! I know that this a good way to keep my bones strong as I age too. Good Luck!!!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Not got time to write more just now (I'm far too busy living life these days!), but yes - it is possible. I'm 52 and started on this crazy journey just when I was 50 xx
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and lifting, but for the example that she sets for us all, I'm going to refer you to a 76-year-old who started working out in her 50s:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/601301-ernestine-shepherd-world-s-oldest-female-body-builder
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I started in Jan. of this year...turned 50 last month and I have lost 50 lbs so far. If I can do it, anyone can. I wish I would have found MFP as soon as I started.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hell yes, you have to make it happen
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    41 last month. I had lost about 33 in the last year and and another 27 the year before. But now I am actually trying. I started this hardcore 2 weeks ago and am taking Zumba. I have tons of friends who have lost a lot of weight with Zumba. I went this mornign and completely soaked from sweat and burned over 500 calories in 45 minutes. Plus i am down 7 pounds.

21842360.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SwtMelissa86
    SwtMelissa86 Posts: 165
    Options
    i am 43... you CAN do this! GOOD LUCK
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Obese for most of my life, I dropped about 80lb last year. I am now 47.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and lost 17 pounds between early December and the end of February. I've been at maintenance since then, focusing on longer-term fitness goals. If anything, I think it's easier now than when I was younger. I've become much more disciplined and have a better handle on my strengths and weaknesses. I think it's important to keep an open mind. Try to identify what hasn't worked previously, keep learning, and be willing to try new things.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah its possible. If you are unhappy with your results I suggest you tweak your nutrition and exercise. There is no reason, absent a medical condition, you can't achieve your goals. If you think I'm not serious then add me. I workout nearly every day, eat right (most days), and have some great results. Your age has nothing to do with it. If you are committed to this journey it can be done.

I'm 4 to the 5.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Improving your health, level of fitness, and in turn quality of life, is NEVER a waste of time.....regardless of pant size, number on scale, etc. Keep going....it will get better.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 yrs old and have lost 36 lbs in 16 weeks just logging with MFP and using a FITBIT to calulate exercise calories!
    Have lost 6 inches off hips and 4-5 inches off waist so far!
    From size 20 to size 14-16 at the moment!
    Stick with it, this site really works!
    Add me as friend and you will see what I eat!
  • kaaz99
    kaaz99 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm 46. I've lost 57 pounds since January 3rd. I didn't start MFP until two months ago and it's been a huge help.

My advice is:

Exercise: You have to light weights twice a week. Do some light cardio every day (I do a 2.5 mile walk at about 3.5 mph with my wife every day). Do some intense cardio twice a week. When you exercise, be focused and be intense. Get pumped. If you're going to invest the time, get the absolute most out of it that you can, and then get on with your day. Lolly gagging through workouts just wastes your time. It's like a placebo... If you're heart isn't pumping and you're not breaking a sweat, you're probably not giving your best effort. Push yourself. Write down the quantities of what you did and every time you work out, try to top what you did the last time, even if it's just by a little bit. Burn one more calorie on the treadmill. Shave 10 seconds off your time on your walk, do one more rep than you did the last time you lifted.

Control your quantity and type of calories.

I usually take in about 1500-1800 calories per day, and burn 600-800 in exercise. I try to strike a 40/40/20 balance of Protein/Carbs/Fat in my diet. I spend Sunday cooking our lunch and dinner for the week. I usually make a poultry based dish I can make in quantity and portion out each day, like turkey chili, chicken parm, chicken cacciatore, etc. I make sure I get healthy vegetables in my meals like onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

I have one bad thing every day (a weight watcher's chocolate chip cookie dough sundae). I eat the same thing for breakfast every day (Raisin bran w/2% milk, glass of orange juice). I try to eat one salad every day.

I take one day off where I eat whatever I want. One day. Not two, not Friday through Sunday. It's usually Friday. If I know I have a social event on the weekend where bad food is inevitable, I rotate my free day to that day. If I get cravings during the week (which mostly happened in the first two months), I count the number of days until my free day and say "I can wait."

Stress: For most people with eating problems, stress is a killer. Confront the stresses in your life. Ignoring them, letting them pile up, is a killer. It leads to comfort eating, skipped workouts, lack of sleep, etc.

Sleep: Get a minimum of 7 hours per day, preferably 8. When I miss sleep, I have less focus, less willpower, and I am much more susceptible to having lapses in judgement.

It is absolutely possible after 40. Take some tips from the people here, pick one or two things, focus on doing them methodically and doing them well, and gradually expand until you've changed your lifestyle and become the person you envision. Change is possible and there are thousands of people on here who are living proof of it.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am 43...will be 44 next month. I've lost 53 lbs. this past year. I am also the Mother to 9 children (ages 1 to 22). I would like to lose around 30 more pounds. I would say that if you're exercising and there's been no change, then it may be your diet or maybe you need to switch up your exercise routine. I know that I've had a few plateaus in the past year and it's frustrating when you're working so hard, so I do understand :) Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and let me tell you, anything is possible if you want it bad enough! I'm doing things I've never done before, wearing things I could never wear in my 20's or 30's... Life is great in my 40's and only getting better!
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    friending you - yes it is possible. :)
  • blowsfire
    blowsfire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    yuppers!
  • slweix
    slweix Posts: 9
    Options
    I find it is more challenging to keep the weight off, and easier to put weight on since I turned 40. It's also more challenging to keep myself motivated to get up and exercise every morning. It's possible, but you may have to work harder than when you were in your 30's.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!