is it possible after 40 ???

Options

Replies

• Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm 62 and yes, I have lost around 30 pounds so far this year.

The main enemy is not recording everything. You only cheat yourself, if you don't weigh and count.

Exercise as well, about 400 calories' worth, on top of eating 500 calories less than your body needs. Then it drops off and you stay (and gain) the shape you want to be.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    <
    42 ! Change your thinking .... change your life !

It's all about your diet / nutrition + exercise ... results will come from persistence ... you need to look at your actual daily intakes and what you could tweak to gain more momentum. We all need to find what works for us ...

But, I guarantee that at any age ... whether it be 20,30,40,50 ... heck even 70 ! There is potential to lose weight, to get healthy, to change your appearance / numbers ... when there is a will ... there is always a way !

I wish you all the best and I sending as many good vibes as I possibly can your way ! :flowerforyou:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how hard your working - are you doing 30 min. on the treadmill and not breaking a sweat? If you're not getting your heart rate up and breaking a sweat, you may not see the results you're wanting. I'd suggest an exercise class, like Zumba or working directly on strength training with a personal trainer - good to learn proper form and learn how to lift heavy weights (no barbie -5 lb weights allowed)

It can be done.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and thought this is it I'm old and I will have to except that I am middle aged and overweight. I gave all my really nice smaller clothes away - 18 months later I have lost 38 lbs and I am having to buy a new wardrobe! You can do it!

Watch your portion sizes, eat plenty of protein, drinks lots of water and try weight training, it worked for me.

Good luck:)
  • LifeinDC
    LifeinDC Posts: 34
    Options
    I am 47 and have lost about 25 pounds since January. It is also worth noting that it feels like many people say the last fifteen are the hardest and that is the amount you need to lose. Still you might want to join the group Fabulous Forty Something Ladies for support: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2379-fabulous-40-something-ladies. I'd also second looking into whether you are actually eating enough given how much you are working out. Someone pointed you to one of the many threads on this site about why it is important to "eat back the calories you burn."

In any case, your consistency in working out is what MFPers would call a NSV (a non-scale victory) and those are as important as the scale.
    Keep going!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're exercising but it's so easy to eat back those calories so if you're having trouble I'd reevaluate your diet. Good luck!!
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I'm 44, down 7 pounds since joining MFP 55 days ago, 12 pounds since starting to diet and exercise. Starting Insanity program next week, just waiting for it to get here. You say you are exercising and that is freaking awesome. If you are not drinking water primarily I would recommend starting, track your meals and try to eat clean unprocessed foods, and lift some weights if you are not. If that sounds overwhelming pick one of those things to add to your regimen. Once that becomes habit, add another. We didn't go from sedentary to eating a good healthy diet, etc, overnight, but in stages. Keep working at it, keep reading on here and from other sources, and you can definitely make the changes you want.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 with a few challenges and I've dropped 35 LBS. so far (?) and haven't felt this good in a while. On this site Ive found great advice, friends and guidance for intake. Have been trying to get my weight under control for a while and I'm finally getting there--9 LBS. TO GO--Good luck to you all--Cheers!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. I am 43 , just keep plugging at it, it does take time. Good luck!
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. Friend me if you like. I am 45 1/2 and weigh less and feel better now than when I was a teenager. I'm discovering new ways to play and to enjoy my life daily. There are actual skills that I have only picked up in the last year that have made all the difference.

Nutrition? - Are you really eating what works for your body?
    Cardio - Can be a huge problem for some people. - Are you doing too much?
    Strength training - I use kettlebells. Good tool for fast transformation.
    Sprinting - One to three times per week makes a huge difference for me.
    Walking - Very slowly with my 6 yo 3-5 hours per week.

No gym fees, no hours and hours of training. I train about 20 minutes twice weekly. Mostly I credit my success to the things I don't do. I don't eat gluten, I (mostly) don't eat grains, I don't eat legumes, I don't eat processed foods. Wheat, sugar, corn don't really work for my body. What does and doesn't work for yours and how can you tell for certain? I've learned the hard way but have come to believe that it's not necessary to suffer much on the way to success. Suffering is now optional.

One of my new favorite bloggers, Dean Dwyer, has ideas that may help.

http://www.makeshifthappen.org/blog/
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    An overwhelming YES is my answer. I turn 56 today and within the last year have lost 93 lb and am now maintaining - so you can do it! You just need to take it slowly and be patient
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    hi im 64, in 18 months have lost 5 stones, age is just a number.
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I turned 50 in march and gained 25 pounds when I moved here to Kansas. I thought being older that I'd have to fight and claw to lose any weight. I'm so happy to find this working and that i was wrong about it being a horrible struggle. I've lost 16 pounds since starting! I did research with the fat2fit and fitness frog calcutors, set my calories higher than what MFP recommended, am easing into exercise, purchased some great tools - scale, body fat monitor and fitbit. I love this site and would welcome more wonderful friends. I've got a long way to go but I can do it! We all can!
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Only your mind knows how old your body is ... and makes that mean something.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and I strive to get in better shape every year and I succeed! Never give up, and it's never too late! I'm in much better shape and fitness level than I ever was as a teenager or in my 20s!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm 59. I've lost 9 lbs towards my goal to loose 35. I lift weights, and do some cardio. I've lost lots of inches (gone down two trouser sizes) and body fat. I consume between 1300-1500 calories daily (I'm 4'11"). Read, "Younger Next Year" and "New Rules for Lifting for Women."

Calculate your TDEE and cut 15% or 20%. Those are your calories to loose.

Best wishes.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I am 43, I will say it is true that losing weight comes off slower once youve past the big 40, but like most have said, its trial and error for your own personal body. Experiment with food, for me my carbs being diabetic had to be really closely watched and balanced during my day, no slips, secondly a mere 30 min cardio session wasnt gonna cut it at all, I workout 6 days a week, every day I do some form of cardio, walking at a fast pace, elliptical, power 90 dvds, leslie sansone dvds, I also do the power 90 sculpt (weights) every other day. My workouts are at least no less than an hour and a half to 2 hrs a day. I have lost almost 10 lbs and total overall 6 inches in the last 5 weeks where I had been stalled for 8 months because of all the things I was trying to do to figure it out, its going to be a little difference for everyone but overall it can happen and be done. Yes I eat back the majority of my exercise calories unless I am not 100% sure of them ,like if I go to a non chain restaurant and dont know the exact calories so any time guessing is involved I wont eat those all back to give me room for error. Sadly I do feel I have to put in twice the effort and work now than I would of had to do in my 20s or 30s to accomplish the same results I am finally getting. But I am worth it and so are you, you can do it!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Exercise tones, a calorie deficit loses weight. You can exercise all you want but if you are eating more calories then your body uses you will not lose weight.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, and agree with wftiger. Only thing that helps me lose weight is a calorie deficit. I work out all the time, but experience no weight loss unless I watch what I eat very carefully. Once I get to the weight I want, I can maintain with exercise but I won't lose a pound with just exercise.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I turned fifty in January and started this journey last April 2011. I have lost 50 pounds and many, many inches. For the past three months I have been lifting weights and working with a personal trainer twice weekly at the gym, which has totally changed my body. You can do this at any age with the right frame of mind and the motivation needed to eat right and exercise regularly.
    Good Luck to you!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!