Farmers market eggs

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
I am thinking about purchasing fresh eggs from a farmers market tonight. I have never purchased eggs from any where but the grocery store, what questions should I ask, or what things should I look for?

any thing else I should know ahead of time?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Make sure they are chicken eggs. Other than that, you're good to go! Farm fresh eggs are ridiculously delicious. The color of the yolk is so brilliant compared to dull grocery store eggs.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    Just curious - why make sure they are chicken eggs? Because duck eggs are higher in calories? I love duck eggs!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ask how they're kept (cage, free roaming) and about the diet they eat.

You'll be hooked once you have them. No store bought egg beats a farm fresh egg.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    buy them, eat them, it's a waste to hard boil them.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Make sure they are chicken eggs. Other than that, you're good to go! Farm fresh eggs are ridiculously delicious. The color of the yolk is so brilliant compared to dull grocery store eggs.
    Right. This.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find the key to a good farm fresh egg is the shell is thicker and harder. The yolks have more color and are more firm. You will never go back to a factory farm chicken egg again. Save your egg shells for garden compost.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

yup. the first time you use them you won't belive how firm the white is, and how yellow the yolk is.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I would like one dozen turtle eggs please :laugh:

Thanks guys, I have had farm eggs before but it was from people I knew and trusted. I have never bought them and didn;t know if there was anything weird to look out for.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!

Regular store bought eggs will never taste the same again.

Just remember, I told you so...
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

You'll be hooked once you have them. No store bought egg beats a farm fresh egg.

Just make sure they are clean and not cracked.

I love farm fresh eggs and glad my parents get 20ish eggs a day from their hens!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

This is true, don't hard-boil fresh eggs.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I raise my own egg laying chickens and eat their eggs! Differences that I noticed, color! Color depends on the breed, so if you have a pale green one, its not rotted! The egg is going to be thicker, not even close to as runny. The shells are a bit tougher to crack, especially if they feed their chickens oyster shells (very high in calcium). If you are hardboiling them, it might take a few tries to figure out the time, they cook a little different and if its too long or too short, they are hard to peel!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I hard boil mine for 12 minutes on the "8" setting, perfect every time! it's all about timing and temp.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I hard boil mine for 12 minutes on the "8" setting, perfect every time! it's all about timing and temp.

Yes I love my farmers market eggs hard boiled or poached ;)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been getting mine from a co-workers neighbor and they aren't as dark as others I've had in the past. This makes me sad. Apparently they aren't free range because of hawks... I have a neighbor that has them, been meaning to call her and switch.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I drive the extra miles to get farm eggs free roaming, & corn fed was what my dad always said to ask --- they are so good-- the dark yolk-- nothing in the stores compares -- enjoy !
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing eggs at the local farmers market, but $4 a dozen is kind of pricy. My boyfriend and I go through 12-18 eggs a week (we eat them a lot) so it's not an expense I can afford all the time right now. Still, I really want to try them!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Yes I love my farmers market eggs hard boiled or poached ;)

It's not about cooking, I know how to do that, it's about the peeling process. I find that the fresher the egg the less likely it is to release from the shell when peeling, I lose a good deal of egg while peeling. Now of course this can be fixed by cutting them in half and then scooping it out. We usually go through 2 - 3 dozen eggs a week. We get 1 or 2 dozen fresh at market and then buy older eggs at the store to hard boil. However, if we still have market eggs left over from the previous week, then we'll boil those and skip the grocery store eggs.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    :o is that why my hardboiled eggs NEVER peel right?! AHHHHH. THE TIME I'VE WASTED.
  • posesed
    posesed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love my hens! For peeling any hard boiled eggs but especially fresh ones remove the shell while still slightly warm. The membrane sticks to the inside of the shell. We keep a supply of them in our fridge perfect quick snack. Yummy!