Farmers market eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    what should chickens eat? like stay away from grain fed??
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    buy them, eat them, it's a waste to hard boil them.

This is true, don't hard-boil fresh eggs.

I hard boil mine for 12 minutes on the "8" setting, perfect every time! it's all about timing and temp.

Yes I love my farmers market eggs hard boiled or poached ;)

It's not about cooking, I know how to do that, it's about the peeling process. I find that the fresher the egg the less likely it is to release from the shell when peeling, I lose a good deal of egg while peeling. Now of course this can be fixed by cutting them in half and then scooping it out. We usually go through 2 - 3 dozen eggs a week. We get 1 or 2 dozen fresh at market and then buy older eggs at the store to hard boil. However, if we still have market eggs left over from the previous week, then we'll boil those and skip the grocery store eggs.

used to happen to me, then I played around with the time and the temp. Now they peel perfectly! Not meaning to offend, just trying to help!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

I hard boil mine for 12 minutes on the "8" setting, perfect every time! it's all about timing and temp.
    You boil them? I've always been told that actually boiling them makes them rubbery. I bring mine to a boil and then remove them from the heat to finish cooking.
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I sell chicken eggs from my free range chickens. =) You probably can't go wrong, as I assume the seller will pick the best looking eggs for sale. My chickens free range + get organic chicken feed and table scraps. And yes, you can boil them, although I usually boil my older eggs. You can also put the shell eggs in the oven right on the rack and bake at 325 for 30 minutes. I've been 'oven boiling' them this way for a while and peeps tell me they taste better.

I date all my eggs individually, but a farmer's market person might date the carton for lay date. I only sell eggs that are laid within two weeks (mostly less), but the eggs are actually still good for months if unwashed and refrigerated.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

You boil them? I've always been told that actually boiling them makes them rubbery. I bring mine to a boil and then remove them from the heat to finish cooking.

This is what I do as well, it makes the yolks perfect every time.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    what should chickens eat? like stay away from grain fed??

Chickens eat grains and vegetables. Just don't let them eat eachother. They may try. Nasty beasts.

And some feeds have chicken protein in them. Poor beasts. :(
  • schenry417
    schenry417 Posts: 11
    Options
    We have our own egg laying hens too. The usual issue with hard boiled fresh eggs is that when you peel the shell, half the egg white comes off with it. After a bit of research, I discovered this has to do with how fresh they are compared to store bought which can be upwards of 40 days old by the time you purchase them. It has something to do with the age and the air that is allowed to pass through the egg shells as they age (or some such thing - I don't retain facts, just the intent) :) Basically, if you buy farm fresh eggs and want to hard boil some, keep them in your fridge for a few weeks before boiling them. They are still better than store bought and because they are now a bit older, they will peel better. At least it worked when I tested it with my own eggs. We have four chickens for a family of 3 - that is a lot of eggs! We usually have about 3 dozen in our fridge at any one time, so letting some 'age' and then hard boiling is easy.
  • schenry417
    schenry417 Posts: 11
    Options
    Chickens are like garbage disposals and will eat just about anything. But, no old food. There is a nice list on backyardchickens.com. They do have taste buds though and some like some things more than others. Mine won't eat bananas or strawberries. They love tomatoes, rice, couscous, salad, etc. There are items they shouldn't be fed though, so it's good to check out the list if you're going to buy chickens to raise.

I always have two bowls when I'm cooking - one for the compost and one for the chickens. and, leftovers never go totally to waste because after two days of sitting in the fridge I set them out for the girls. The weirdest thing? They LOVE chicken and eggs. So wrong I know. The key is to only give them cooked eggs, never raw or they'll try to eat their eggs before you get to them.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    All eggs peel easier if you put salt in the boil water. try it and see!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would ask about the chicken's diet. I hate when egg cartons say "vegetarian diet" because chickens aren't vegetarians! They should be eating bugs!!

Farm eggs are great. The yolks are bright orange usually.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing eggs at the local farmers market, but $4 a dozen is kind of pricy. My boyfriend and I go through 12-18 eggs a week (we eat them a lot) so it's not an expense I can afford all the time right now. Still, I really want to try them!

Wow. We get ours from my DH's uncle for $1 a dozen. He sells them for a little more at the farmer's market, but still under $2.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing eggs at the local farmers market, but $4 a dozen is kind of pricy. My boyfriend and I go through 12-18 eggs a week (we eat them a lot) so it's not an expense I can afford all the time right now. Still, I really want to try them!

Wow. We get ours from my DH's uncle for $1 a dozen. He sells them for a little more at the farmer's market, but still under $2.

Can you buy me some and send them?? I usually pay $3/dozen!!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I paid $3.50 for green eggs. I spotted a different place on the way home that I need to check out, plus they say they have some other local things that I buy (like honey, berries, veg etc)