cauliflower crust pizza...yum!

Options
Just tried a new recipe and LOVED this. So did my husband and kids...let me know if you are interested in the recipe. Bummer is that I don't have an exact calorie count but it's easy to come up with one. It has cauliflower, egg, cheese, garlic and oregano in the crust. Toppings, whatever you like. TASTY!

Replies

• overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Please post the recipe! So far I've only seen meat crust recipes :D.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Here is the link. I went light on the cheese topping as there is so much cheese in the crust! Next time I may try decreasing the cheese just a bit. I used a very large head of cauliflower and got a quadruple crust out of it, completely covering a 9x13 baking stone to the edges. i did not use the olive oil as I am out, but that would make it even tastier!

The recipe as written only serves 2, and I was feeding my kids and husband as well as myself. I am curious as to how the leftover pieces will keep and reheat.

http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2011/04/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
    Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Serves 2; Adapted from Your Lighter Side.
    Ingredients:

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    olive oil (optional)

pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*
    Directions:

To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
    Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.

One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make the Pizza Crust:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).

Enjoy!

*Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It sounds awesome! thanks for posting, I'm going to try it next week.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I also have made this and it's fabulous even my father will eat it and didn't think it tasted like cauliflower at all. Great low carb alternative.
  • joann852
    joann852 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to try this!!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Calling this "pizza" should be a crime.
  • 60in60
    60in60 Posts: 4
    Options
    Sounds great! Thank you for sharing!
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just made this a few weeks ago -- I just topped with fresh tomoto and basil (a little motz) and I'm
    looking forward to making it again. IT was delish. The bottom of the crust wasnt as crispy but
    c'mon for mock pizza, its at close as you can imagine. You must must try !!

I have a picture, but I dont know how to upload .. P.s. My 4 year old daughter at two pieces
    and told me it was better than regular pizza :)
  • Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options
    I tried to make this, but the crust and pizza wasn't sticking. It was falling apart to the point I had to eat it with a fork/ spoon ..is this normal?
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    I've eaten it before and I too love it, even my father ate it and loved it.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    I tried to make this, but the crust and pizza wasn't sticking. It was falling apart to the point I had to eat it with a fork/ spoon ..is this normal?

Yes chances are you won't be able to pick it up like pizza, but it shouldn't be falling apart.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump....I gotta try this even though I don't really like cooked cauliflower. I'll let you know.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump .... this sounds so awesome
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm determined to find a pizza recipe that my bf loves so he stops ordering out for pizza! Thank you for posing this!
  • 4schrocks
    4schrocks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I'm going to have to start keeping track of all the yummy recipes on here.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to try this! Sounds wonderful!
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    this is really good!
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Found this receipt and was talking to my BF about it last week - we're planning it for dinner one night this week. Super excited!
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds really great, thanks!! Do you think the crust would stick together better if you added 2tbsp of ground flax?