Really? I gained two pounds when I made my biggest effort

Options
So last week I tried to eat the healthiest possible and exercised almost everyday. Well, the results are not what I expected
I gained two pounds, I wouldnt cared the extra pounds if I had lost inches but not even a centimeter.

I feel so discouraged :-(

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    you are aware that its most likely water weight, right?

do you monitor your sodium? I recommend that people stay within the 1500-1800 range. Also, if you strength train, your muscles retain fluid...hence, water weight.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    where are you in your cycle?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i know you're discouraged but think about it logically. it's just water weight. eventually the scale and measurements will catch up.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    So last week I tried to eat the healthiest possible and exercised almost everyday. Well, the results are not what I expected
    I gained two pounds, I wouldnt cared the extra pounds if I had lost inches but not even a centimeter.

Don't get discouraged. Both posters above make valid points. Truth is that it's hard to predict when your weight will go down. It does though. My Mom (after seeing my progress) began her journey. She became very discouraged when after three weeks her weight was the same. Then (for what ever reason) she got on the scale the next day after her last weigh in....and boom. Two pounds down. She didn't believe the scale....so she got on it again a few days later. Same result.

Sometimes it's water weight and sodium intake does have a lot to do with that. Other times, it's other factors. I would also recommend not eating back all of the calories burned in exercise. I've been doing that for six months and I've been as much as one thousand calories or more below.....but yet have remained exactly the same weight. That's because MFP may over estimate calories burned or we may underestimate calories consumed. Just keep at it. Friend me if you need support!

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Give your self more time, and please note that those case happend to everyone have diet, for many resone your scale could tell you (you have gained ) while the real case is ( lose ) may be ( water weight - dinner of yesterday weight........) but it can not be ( fat weight ).....
    I think your scale will pay for your biggest effort, just give your self some time.....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

do you monitor your sodium? I recommend that people stay within the 1500-1800 range. Also, if you strength train, your muscles retain fluid...hence, water weight.

I agree it's almost certainly water weight (your mucles retain water as part of their self-healing process after exercise). But what are you basing the recommendation of 1500-1800 on? Seems a bit arbitrary.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Water weight?
    Huh? Never thought of that... I'm also a breastfeeding mom and somebody told me that sometimes if baby is going through a growth spurt I'm mostly to retain fluids too.

I'm really lost. I should read more about general diet first and what I should expect when starting one.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options

What do you mean?
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

I agree it's almost certainly water weight (your mucles retain water as part of their self-healing process after exercise). But what are you basing the recommendation of 1500-1800 on? Seems a bit arbitrary.

It's hardly arbitrary. The MFP sodium goal is entirely too high. Do a little research on sodium. Your body does not need more than 1500mg of sodium. I say 1500-1800 because some people freak out about 1500 and feel better about 1800. Once you go above that, water retention is inevitable, and it can take a few days for it to subside.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    Water weight?
    Huh? Never thought of that... I'm also a breastfeeding mom and somebody told me that sometimes if baby is going through a growth spurt I'm mostly to retain fluids too.

I'm really lost. I should read more about general diet first and what I should expect when starting one.

you aren't on a diet. you're changing your lifestyle. so stop looking at it as a day to day thing, and start looking at it from a new perspective.

and your cycle refers to your menstrual cycle...
  • proudmommy1003
    Options

Don't get discouraged. Both posters above make valid points. Truth is that it's hard to predict when your weight will go down. It does though. My Mom (after seeing my progress) began her journey. She became very discouraged when after three weeks her weight was the same. Then (for what ever reason) she got on the scale the next day after her last weigh in....and boom. Two pounds down. She didn't believe the scale....so she got on it again a few days later. Same result.

Sometimes it's water weight and sodium intake does have a lot to do with that. Other times, it's other factors. I would also recommend not eating back all of the calories burned in exercise. I've been doing that for six months and I've been as much as one thousand calories or more below.....but yet have remained exactly the same weight. That's because MFP may over estimate calories burned or we may underestimate calories consumed. Just keep at it. Friend me if you need support!

8443442.png

Thanks for the support. Today I started again my exercise routine and I'll hide the scale for a couple of weeks (I'm getting addicted to it). I hope to see results after a month...
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You're not going to see any real results after only a week, especially not inches.
    The 2 pound gain is probably water weight, constipation, or the result of weighing at a different time of day.
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Water weight?

you aren't on a diet. you're changing your lifestyle. so stop looking at it as a day to day thing, and start looking at it from a new perspective.

and your cycle refers to your menstrual cycle...

Changing your lifestyle, what a good way of looking at it! :smile:
  • proudmommy1003
    Options

I had a baby 7 months ago and I'm still breastfeeding. I guess I wont have a menstrual cycle until I stop breastfeeding.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    You're not going to see any real results after only a week, especially not inches.
    The 2 pound gain is probably water weight, constipation, or the result of weighing at a different time of day.

I weight every monday morning before eating and used to lose 1/2 lb every week. Maybe that's why I'm so paranoid.
    I don't know why I'm so addicted to the scale
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Remember that too much exercise can cause your milk to dry up. :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

8443442.png

Thanks for the support. Today I started again my exercise routine and I'll hide the scale for a couple of weeks (I'm getting addicted to it). I hope to see results after a month...

definitely hide the scale. i've been doing everything right but have only lost about 4 pounds since a month ago. meanwhile i've lost a pant size and about 10 inches. i figure eventually the scale will catch up
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options

I weight every monday morning before eating and used to lose 1/2 lb every week. Maybe that's why I'm so paranoid.
    I don't know why I'm so addicted to the scale

Yeah, I think you are. Give yourself a break and remember baby is only 7 months old. My son is one and I have only just started dieting. Your body will be holding the weight for feeding baby.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    Remember that too much exercise can cause your milk to dry up. :smile:

Thanks for pointing that out...
    And yes, I was afraid of that at the begging and didnt exercised until he was 6 months. The thing is sometimes I feel like I blame it on the breastfeeding thing for not exercising. I think I'm not doing to much though
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That happened to me before, I didn't lose any weight for 2 weeks! (well... I didn't eat super healthy but didn't eat bad either) my trainer told me that I need to drink a gallon of water everyday. When I don't lose weight & get frustrated, I would add something to my diet like making a green drink by blending all my greens & drinking it because it's easier to drink than eat all my greens. Try doing different things.