Does eating Organic make you a jerk?

Options

Replies

• Stylistntenn
    Options
    Wow.. you have got to be kidding me. The things our tax money probaby go to that we have no idea about. Like why is a frog's skin bumpy and why does poop stink? Geez some people are idiots!!!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Being a jerk makes you a jerk. Eating organic is unrelated.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I thought everyone knew this already lol
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Not even going to read that. Eating organic makes you lucky enough to be able to afford it and smart enough to know that less chemicals in your food is better for you.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I thought everyone knew this already lol
    Hahahaha! I thought so too!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Being a jerk makes you a jerk. Eating organic is unrelated.

THIS.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the bizarre, stupid, or random studies are done by people pursuing their PhD. They write their thesis on the study they do. Sure, some of the money to fund these studies comes from government grants, but they also come from charitable organizations that promote education.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Not even going to read that. Eating organic makes you lucky enough to be able to afford it and smart enough to know that less chemicals in your food is better for you.

I'm pretty sure that plenty of people who don't eat organic are smart enough to know that, just not everyone actually cares (or, like you said, is lucky enough to be able to afford it).
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Wow.. you have got to be kidding me. The things our tax money probaby go to that we have no idea about. Like why is a frog's skin bumpy and why does poop stink? Geez some people are idiots!!!

As a researcher trained, in psychology, I'm a bit offended by your tone....its almost as bad as the organic people referred to in the article. Nowhere in that article does it say that the study was funded by any federal agency, so why do you assume that your tax money paid for it. Wow back at cha!
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Please don't jump all over me but I believe there may be some truth to that. Not necessarily that eating organic makes you a jerk, but I think many people who are already jerks are drawn to eating organic, for little or no other reason than self-righteousness. It's really the thing I don't like about shopping at Whole Foods, where I usually encounter a nasty jerk or two. Having said that, I think there are many nice and thoughtful people, like myself and many of you, who eat organic because they understand the benefits, and as another commenter said, are lucky enough to afford it.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Well, why IS a frog's skin bumpy (for the record, most of the time it isn't--those are toads)? Why DOES poop smell the way it does, as opposed to any other way? I'm very sorry that you take absolutely no interest in the marvelous phenomena of nature; what a boring, hollow existence yours must be!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    LOL!

signed, Jerk.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Most research is not funded by ANY government body. Much research done by graduate students to fulfill dissertation requirements leads to real results, regardless of what the public might think of it. There is probably a lot of bias in the study, but it could not have been published without its method being closely reviewed. And yes, the terminally self-righteous are strongly drawn to "organic" food.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Depends if you get all righteous to everyone about it :)
  • NoAdditives
    Options

Well, why IS a frog's skin bumpy (for the record, most of the time it isn't--those are toads)? Why DOES poop smell the way it does, as opposed to any other way? I'm very sorry that you take absolutely no interest in the marvelous phenomena of nature; what a boring, hollow existence yours must be!

I, too, have been interested in what makes poop smell the way it does.

*TMI*
    In my personal experience, I've noticed that when I eat more whole foods and less prepackaged/processed/junk food, my poop smells like the food that I ate, not just a generally stinky poop smell.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    the studies they come up with are crazy. I agree with the poster who said that those who eat organic are lucky enough to afford it. being a jerk has to do with attitude and how you act not with how you eat.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have noticed that there are quite some jerky folks when i go into a natural store or something similar.
    a lot of fake hippies too.
    doesn't mean that everyone who gets organic produce or other foods is a jerk
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Eating organic is more of an indicator that you believe what the government is feeding you about "saving the planet". In other words, probably an Al Gore lover, a liberal and a democrat.

However, it doesn't mean you are a jerk. Maybe uninformed and gullible, but not a jerk.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I had to listen to that reply almost verbatim last night with a group of people. I thought it was rather comical myself. Some folks are just opinionated and can't resist starting trouble.

I don't know if they are jerks. They probably are, but I'm willing to bet they were jerks before they started eating organic.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Please don't jump all over me but I believe there may be some truth to that. Not necessarily that eating organic makes you a jerk, but I think many people who are already jerks are drawn to eating organic, for little or no other reason than self-righteousness. It's really the thing I don't like about shopping at Whole Foods, where I usually encounter a nasty jerk or two. Having said that, I think there are many nice and thoughtful people, like myself and many of you, who eat organic because they understand the benefits, and as another commenter said, are lucky enough to afford it.

^^^^ This. Self righteous people are drawn to things they can be self righteous about. That and it's a perception issue. People who are boring *kitten* about eating organic spend a lot of time drawing attention to the fact that they eat organic. People who aren't boring *kitten* don't draw attention to themselves.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Eating organic is more of an indicator that you believe what the government is feeding you about "saving the planet". In other words, probably an Al Gore lover, a liberal and a democrat.

However, it doesn't mean you are a jerk. Maybe uninformed and gullible, but not a jerk.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I had to listen to that reply almost verbatim last night with a group of people. I thought it was rather comical myself. Some folks are just opinionated and can't resist starting trouble.

I don't know if they are jerks. They probably are, but I'm willing to bet they were jerks before they started eating organic.

People who eat organic food are "uninformed and gullible"? About what, exactly?