Replies

• tateslady
    tateslady Posts: 13
    Options
    Bump
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I love pot roasts. They are easy to put together in the morning and you come home to a cooked meal in your crockpot. My favorite recipe is this one I found on all recipes.com I substitute healthier options for the gravy when I can, as long as you use some form of thickish gravy like substance for the liquid your pot roast comes out moist and the potatos/carrots do not get soggy. Its pretty healthy especially if you get low sodium options. I put baby red potatos and carrots in the with the roast. Here is the link.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/weekday-pot-roast-and-vegetables/detail.aspx
  • eedaniels
    eedaniels Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I created a great Tofu Lasagna that's only 221 cal per serving. I use a 13X15 pan which reduces the carbs and heat diced tofu into the sauce before assembling. Also I use whole wheat noodles to increase the fiber. Pick a healthy sauce and reduced fat cottage cheese and mozzarella too. Get creative! I have 3 small kids and a very picky husband. They all LOVE it and they fight over who gets the leftovers the next day. The trick to creating better eating habits is making foods they love healthier so they don't feel deprived.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I created a great Tofu Lasagna that's only 221 cal per serving. I use a 13X15 pan which reduces the carbs and heat diced tofu into the sauce before assembling. Also I use whole wheat noodles to increase the fiber. Pick a healthy sauce and reduced fat cottage cheese and mozzarella too. Get creative! I have 3 small kids and a very picky husband. They all LOVE it and they fight over who gets the leftovers the next day. The trick to creating better eating habits is making foods they love healthier so they don't feel deprived.

I've never had tofu .... But I LOVE lasagna! I might try that! Thanks :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I made something delicious tonight that I found on Pinterest. It's called "Mexican Chicken"

1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 can of 98% fat free cream of Chicken Soup
    1 cup of Salsa
    1 packet of taco seasoning

Mix it all together and cook in crock pot on low for 6 hours. Shred the chicken and make sure it's all mixed together. It feeds four and is only 194 calories per serving. The recipe also called for a cup of sour cream, but I left it out. I had mine over brown rice and black beans with a little bit of cheese (of course you have to add those calories in). But, I made burritos for the rest of the family and they really enjoyed it. I will definitely be making it again.

If you are looking for good light recipes look up "skinny taste" or "hungry girl" I have found some good ones on there too.

Yummmmmm! This sounds amazing!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    This dish can add up really fast but you can play around with it a lot. I make Spaghetti Bake.

Cook your meat and spaghetti sauce. I use less meat in this dish because you won't notice it. You can skip it too.

Dice a variety of veggies and sautée them. Examples include carrots, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, squash, olives, egg plant, etc. Throw it in the sauce.

Cook the noodles al dente. Drain.

In a casserole dish, layer these ingredients:

Noodles
    Meat/Sauce/Veggies Mixture
    Mozzarella Cheese

Repeat and end with cheese.

Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted.

Cut the dish in squares. This is a powerhouse of nutrition but do watch the portions.

This sounds soooooooo good! Thank you!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    We did a campfire chicken yesterday on the grill. It is really easy.

Take a piece of aluminum foil (size depends on how big a serving you are making. you need to be able to fold the sides up all the way around) and place some fresh, sliced veggies on it. I usually do potatoes (sometimes sweet potato), onions, maybe some apple slices, mushrooms, corn cobettes, zucchini, peppers...just really whatever you like.

Place a boneless/skinless chicken breast on top. Season it all with whatever seasoning you like. I generally do salt, pepper, garlic and paprika. You can also use lipton soup mixes. They work really well.

Fold the sides of the aluminum foil up to seal it all together. Throw it on the grill for about 30-35 minutes. My kids love it.

This sounds really yummy!

I think so too! Great idea!