In need of advice/tips. Please no preaching.

Options
So I've been told by soooooooo many people that I need to eat more if I intend to lose any weight. I'm at a good size for my age/height but I'd love to be 120 again. If possible.

Well according to MFP I should be consuming around 1300 calories. Which is EXTREMELY hard to do for me considering I struggle to eat 1000 a day before any exercise. Then I came across (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) and according to it I should consume around 1800. Today I just barely reached 1300 calories and I feel so uncomfortable from eating so much cause it's not usual for me. No I do not have a eating disorder I'm just never really hungry. I eat around 2 times a day and I'm full. I'm not a fan of meat or seafood (Not a vegetarian I just don't care for any of the taste/texture)

I am a sahm who is starting up my own small business. Alot of my time is spent on the computer but I make sure I get in exercise. My daughter and I play all the time, running around, walking around stores and parks. things like that.

Before you reply heres what i already know. Yes I understand the whole "starvation mode" thing. Yes I understand I need protein in my diet and I know meat is the best way for that. So please if I could have advice on what I can do from what I've already said that'd be great.

Thank you so much in advance. =)

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, it is really hard to lose weight if you're already at a relatively normal weight. Personally, I don't subscribe to the 'eat more to lose more' and it's never worked for me. Starvation mode is not a proven fact and I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. It's actually just known as "starvation" and it takes a long period of time at a starvation diet (of under 900 calories, I believe) and a low body weight to occur.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, sweet potatoes, eggs, protein powder.

All can be fairly calorie dense foods that you can eat a little of yet still get some healthy calories in.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, it is really hard to lose weight if you're already at a relatively normal weight. Personally, I don't subscribe to the 'eat more to lose more' and it's never worked for me. Starvation mode is not a proven fact and I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. It's actually just known as "starvation" and it takes a long period of time at a starvation diet (of under 900 calories, I believe) and a low body weight to occur.

For the most part I want to just tone up. If I could get to 120 again that'd be great.
    My diet as been the same ever since i could remember so when i was told if I want to lose weight I needed to eat more I just didn't understand it.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, sweet potatoes, eggs, protein powder.

All can be fairly calorie dense foods that you can eat a little of yet still get some healthy calories in.

^^^this - go for more calorie dense foods that are good for you. Then you get your calories without having to pack in tons of food. A banana and 2 tbs of PB on an english muffin is like 380 calories and really yummy! Maybe try protein shakes.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The most important thing I've learned is that everyone is different. For me personally, if I eat less than an average of about 1300 a day I go into a never ending plateau. But, everyone is different. The question is, how much effort do you want to put in to drop the remaining weight? If you're committed, I'd recommend shaking up calories in one direction or another for a week or two and see what happens, and adjust from there. You need to learn what your body needs, not the average numbers thrown around. Good luck!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll get the same results that you've always gotten. If eating twice a day works for you, and you don't want to change it because it works and makes you happy, then you'll keep seeing the same things you're seeing now.

Of course, the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. If you want your body to change, you can retrain it to react differently to the cues you give it. Eating more often than twice a day, eating smaller portions, or changing what you eat are all cues that you can change that might help, because they'll keep your body guessing, and force it to adapt to different scenarios. But you have to want to do all those things, and be open to trying them even if you don't think they'll work, because you don't know if they'll work unless you try them long-term (as in, longer than a week or two).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone up, eat what you normally eat and start doing resistance training of some sort - be it Jillian Michaels type of stuff, kettlebell workouts or weight lifting...

Eating less without any form of resistance training won't be good (as you are already eating under your BMR) and might just make you skinny fat by taking off a few pounds...
    Eating more without said exercise will not do anything either - exept maybe make you pick up a few pounds....
    Sounds like the exercise you get in with your daughter is pure ardio, and that won't help you firm up.... Jillian Michaels is only about 30 mins a day, with a set of light dumbells, and the results are great....
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't need to lose weight, it's maybe more about toning - which would most likely be some form of weight training and extra (getting hot and sweaty) cardio.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    I meant to write in there that for my exercise routine I include lift weights and I am trying the 30 day shred (On day 2)
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    what do you actually want to achieve? By toning up I assume you want to turn the fat into muscle - which will probably mean the scale won't move. Muscle needs fuel (food) to build. If you just want to move the number on the scale, then sorry, I don't have any advice for that.
    To start getting in more calories I'd start by adding in at least another meal and not paying too much attention to how much calories are in them. This will help condition you to eating 3 times a day, then look at more calorie dense food. Eating 1000-1200 calories over a long period of time is NOT good for your body, which you already know.
    Have you heard of a program in the UK called Supersize vs Superskinny? It might be helpful to watch as the doctor on there has some really tips for people like yourself who don't have eating disorders, but struggle with getting in enough calories they need.
    Good luck!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I read your profile. If what you want is to firm the 'jiggly bits'...I'd suggest cutting the cardio down to little or nothing, and beginning a heavy strength training routine. Once you get the results you want, you can start integrating cardio, and find a nice balance.

If your diet has been the same forever, and your weight is being maintained, changing that is only going to make you gain or lose. What you gain or lose may not be fat. That's why I suggest you leave your diet alone, and train for strength (this doesn't necessitate weights, but 30 day shred isn't going to fit what I'm suggesting).

Another thing to consider is this. You're 22...I may have missed at what age you were 120lbs (which is your goal?)...but your body changes as you get older. 120lbs may never be a healthy weight for you again. In my opinion, you look great, and shouldn't be using a scale anymore to judge your progress anyhow.

Anyway, if you'd like help...I'd be more than willing. I can help you setup an extremely effective bodyweight program at home. I promise you, in a month you'll see a difference, in three months, I can't imagine you won't be thoroughly impressed with the results.

Either way, good luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing that, and make sure you take pictures and measurements - it's the only way you can keep track....I'm perimenopausal, which (for me anyways!) makes losing one pound a lifelong struggle lately - I've been stuck on the same weight for three months now (still 15lbs above where I want to be) but since I started lifting heavy, I fit back into the clothes that I wore last summer before this weird hormone thing hit me....10lbs heavier than then....
    You don't have much (or anything from your profile pic) to lose, so measurements will be the proof....
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    what do you actually want to achieve? By toning up I assume you want to turn the fat into muscle - which will probably mean the scale won't move. Muscle needs fuel (food) to build. If you just want to move the number on the scale, then sorry, I don't have any advice for that.
    To start getting in more calories I'd start by adding in at least another meal and not paying too much attention to how much calories are in them. This will help condition you to eating 3 times a day, then look at more calorie dense food. Eating 1000-1200 calories over a long period of time is NOT good for your body, which you already know.
    Have you heard of a program in the UK called Supersize vs Superskinny? It might be helpful to watch as the doctor on there has some really tips for people like yourself who don't have eating disorders, but struggle with getting in enough calories they need.
    Good luck!!

Thank you. Yes I would like to lose that 10lbs but I'm mostly concerned with tightening up my stomach, butt and thighs. Since that's where that last 10lbs from my pregnancy went.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    Keep on doing that, and make sure you take pictures and measurements - it's the only way you can keep track....I'm perimenopausal, which (for me anyways!) makes losing one pound a lifelong struggle lately - I've been stuck on the same weight for three months now (still 15lbs above where I want to be) but since I started lifting heavy, I fit back into the clothes that I wore last summer before this weird hormone thing hit me....10lbs heavier than then....
    You don't have much (or anything from your profile pic) to lose, so measurements will be the proof....

The last time i did this I was discouraged. I have loose skin from my pregnancy so when I would try to measure around my stomach it'd never move even though everything else was going down and it's mostly due to the skin (I think so atleast)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public, so I cant see what you are eating. From your pic you dont look too heavy. My problem is carbohydrates, the more I eat the more I'm stuck at the same weight. You need to figure out what you want to acomplish. The scale is not the master of your life.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    I read your profile. If what you want is to firm the 'jiggly bits'...I'd suggest cutting the cardio down to little or nothing, and beginning a heavy strength training routine. Once you get the results you want, you can start integrating cardio, and find a nice balance.

If your diet has been the same forever, and your weight is being maintained, changing that is only going to make you gain or lose. What you gain or lose may not be fat. That's why I suggest you leave your diet alone, and train for strength (this doesn't necessitate weights, but 30 day shred isn't going to fit what I'm suggesting).

Another thing to consider is this. You're 22...I may have missed at what age you were 120lbs (which is your goal?)...but your body changes as you get older. 120lbs may never be a healthy weight for you again. In my opinion, you look great, and shouldn't be using a scale anymore to judge your progress anyhow.

Anyway, if you'd like help...I'd be more than willing. I can help you setup an extremely effective bodyweight program at home. I promise you, in a month you'll see a difference, in three months, I can't imagine you won't be thoroughly impressed with the results.

Either way, good luck!

Any help is good help for me. Willing to try anything!
    And I was 19 the last time I was 120.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Your diary is not public, so I cant see what you are eating. From your pic you dont look too heavy. My problem is carbohydrates, the more I eat the more I'm stuck at the same weight. You need to figure out what you want to acomplish. The scale is not the master of your life.

It only minimally matters what she's eating. If she's eating at maintenance, she's going to maintain, if she's eating over, she'll gain, if she's eating under...she'll lose. Barring any medical exceptions, this is really the rule for all of us. How she's exercising is going to have a huge impact on what her body composition is though...and I think that's what she's wanting to address.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Either way, good luck!

Any help is good help for me. Willing to try anything!
    And I was 19 the last time I was 120.

If you're dedicated, I'm more than happy to do this for you...but you've got to stick to it, and realize it's a program...you can't take half of this, or do half of this...and add in something else, and expect results. Stick with this (it works, I promise!!) for a month...and this only. I promise you'll be motivated to continue :).

And for proof...look here:

7434194_2240.jpg7434194_1237.jpg

7434194_8492.jpg7434194_7770.jpg

That's 3mos of this bodyweight program...40lbs of fat. I added NO muscle...but the visual differences were amazing.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I forgot to give you the program lol:
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

If you need help looking up the exercises (they're listed in the program), google and youtube will give you excellent examples of proper form and what you're supposed to do. If you need any help explaining the program, feel free to ask me and I'll clarify whatever is necessary.

Also, you're not going to feel destroyed, or like you're working incredibly hard (other than during the workout). Within an hour or so of finishing you should be able to continue with your normal daily activities as if you didn't work out. You WILL be very sore for the first week or two...but that levels off quickly. If you would like to do cardio on the in between days, make sure its not steady state. Interval sprints would be acceptable, and keep it down to 30 minutes or so a day. Leave Saturday and Sunday for rest.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    I forgot to give you the program lol:
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

If you need help looking up the exercises (they're listed in the program), google and youtube will give you excellent examples of proper form and what you're supposed to do. If you need any help explaining the program, feel free to ask me and I'll clarify whatever is necessary.

Also, you're not going to feel destroyed, or like you're working incredibly hard (other than during the workout). Within an hour or so of finishing you should be able to continue with your normal daily activities as if you didn't work out. You WILL be very sore for the first week or two...but that levels off quickly. If you would like to do cardio on the in between days, make sure its not steady state. Interval sprints would be acceptable, and keep it down to 30 minutes or so a day. Leave Saturday and Sunday for rest.

I'm game!
    I got a little over a month till I head to vacation.