You will lose your lean mass if you just do cardio

Options
I would like to see some scientific proof that you'll lose lean mass or become "skinny fat" by just doing cardio. Honestly, I haven't lifted weights since my early 20's. I've run, done yoga, done martial arts for years... I had a DEXA scan done in 2004 at 29 years of age that showed I have 120 lbs of lean mass and I had one done a few weeks ago that showed the same 120 lbs of lean mass. I haven't lifted a single weight in that time and my diet has been all over the board, two pregnancies... not to mention 8 years have passed.

So... why is it that people are told not to do cardio only? If you already have a decent muscle base, why not just burn off the fat? I don't understand. It seems pretty hard to lose muscle... there was a time I wanted to.

Replies

• tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the answer too. I'm currently just doing cardio but have been contemplating starting some strength training. When I lost my weight before (I gained it all back when I got pregnant) I did strength training and got a little too muscular for my liking. I had those bumps on my neck and I thought it was a little too much.

The point is, I don't want them again. Nor do I care about cut arms and my thighs are already muscular enough. I've been searching the interwebs for a strength training routine that doesn't build you up, but I'm nervous about all the ones I've seen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I would like to see some scientific proof that you'll lose lean mass or become "skinny fat" by just doing cardio. Honestly, I haven't lifted weights since my early 20's. I've run, done yoga, done martial arts for years... I had a DEXA scan done in 2004 at 29 years of age that showed I have 120 lbs of lean mass and I had one done a few weeks ago that showed the same 120 lbs of lean mass. I haven't lifted a single weight in that time and my diet has been all over the board, two pregnancies... not to mention 8 years have passed.

So... why is it that people are told not to do cardio only? If you already have a decent muscle base, why not just burn off the fat? I don't understand. It seems pretty hard to lose muscle... there was a time I wanted to.
    You've just stated that you do yoga (static strength resistance training), martial arts (involves explosive strikes and kicks which is anaerobic and considered resistance training). So you JUST haven't been doing cardio only.
    And lean mass doesn't ALWAYS mean muscle. You can get higher density in your bones, organs can gain mass etc.

But there have been studies done that show if protein balance is insufficient, muscle breakdown occurs.

Not much of a problem for the average runner of course - a jog around the block or even a 5k is not the same as a distance runner in training who does a half-marathon every day, and sprinters probably come under the strength training header since they're doing brief spurts of anaerobic activity.

Cyclists however can easily wind up with elevated protein breakdown - good thing you guys tend to drink lots of sugar water (sports drink). Insulin inhibits the breakdown of muscle protein...

And you do want to replace the glycogen stores pretty much immediately for optimal sports performance(Sports Med; 21(1), 7-17, 1996.) - it does make a difference for both us lifters and you endurance guys.

Plus, if glycogen stores remain remain low, muscle protein breakdown can result and lead to loss of muscle mass (Journal of Applied Physiology; 48, 624-629, 1980) - again not neccesarily a concern for the once-around-the-block amateur, but for the long distance/long duration crowd who spend hours on the elliptical, definitely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The optimum quote being "if protein balance is insufficient". I did a 15 min Medline search one day just because of this stupid argument and came up with a dozen or so studies showing that endurance athletes (some up to 2 hrs a workout) who remained in nitrogen balance (i.e. protein intake was sufficient to meet needs) lost ZERO muscle mass even after doing hours of cardio only.

You have to keep this in perspective, however. There is a natural loss of muscle mass that occurs throughout life, probably starting in your mid-30s. There is also a loss of muscle mass that can occur when maintaining sizable calorie deficits.

So there are compelling reasons to include resistance exercise as part of a workout routine. But someone, esp a younger person, who is eating at maintenance is not going to continually lose muscle mass from doing a lot of cardio. Of all the dumb fitness ideas being foisted upon the public, this ranks in the top 5. Your body WILL adapt to what it is asked to do, so if all a person does is cardio, then they are going to have a body that is built to do a lot of cardio. You will have the muscle mass necessary to maintain that routine and your activties of daily living, but no more.

Again, keep in mind that I am NOT saying resistance exercise is unimportant. For overall health and long-term weight loss success, I think it is crucial. I am just trying to differentiate that from the Broscience idea that doing cardio will cause you to waste away to nothing.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    ..bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    The optimum quote being "if protein balance is insufficient". I did a 15 min Medline search one day just because of this stupid argument and came up with a dozen or so studies showing that endurance athletes (some up to 2 hrs a workout) who remained in nitrogen balance (i.e. protein intake was sufficient to meet needs) lost ZERO muscle mass even after doing hours of cardio only.

You have to keep this in perspective, however. There is a natural loss of muscle mass that occurs throughout life, probably starting in your mid-30s. There is also a loss of muscle mass that can occur when maintaining sizable calorie deficits.

So there are compelling reasons to include resistance exercise as part of a workout routine. But someone, esp a younger person, who is eating at maintenance is not going to continually lose muscle mass from doing a lot of cardio. Of all the dumb fitness ideas being foisted upon the public, this ranks in the top 5. Your body WILL adapt to what it is asked to do, so if all a person does is cardio, then they are going to have a body that is built to do a lot of cardio. You will have the muscle mass necessary to maintain that routine and your activties of daily living, but no more.

Again, keep in mind that I am NOT saying resistance exercise is unimportant. For overall health and long-term weight loss success, I think it is crucial. I am just trying to differentiate that from the Broscience idea that doing cardio will cause you to waste away to nothing.
    And we've agreed on this before. I think what does make the difference is that many endurance athletes will use carbs instead of protein/carb packs for refueling thereby having an impact on lean muscle. But looking at that perspective of an endurance athlete, many aren't interested in any muscle gain at all since it affects their speed and time in their sport.
    I'll have to say that most people who concentrate only on cardio to lose that I've PERSONALLY known or met, were usually not the best in nutrition and lacked proper macronutrient content.
    Consequently I ALWAYS meet lifters who's body's don't change for the same reason.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for some scientific support for what us runners have sussed empirically for years. Enough protein, a bit of resistance and we're sorted.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it seems here on this site, when people say "cardio" some will assume that means extended duration type cardio that will result in loss of muscle. And when people talk about weight lifting and all the "GO HEAVY or you aint doing anything" seems to assume everyone wants to be a big muscled body builder.

the truth is, the majorty of people here do not need to worry about "too much cardio" and they do not need to immediately start "lifting heavy". there are many benefits to a moderate weight lifting regimen without taking the risk of injury.

If you are significantly over weight and your doctor has approved cardio, it is unlikely that you will do too much. you will most likely tire out first before you start losing muscle.

just keep moving and lifting something, even if its your own body weight.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I've been searching the interwebs for a strength training routine that doesn't build you up, but I'm nervous about all the ones I've seen.

Google "Visual Impact for Women." I think it costs something like $50. I have no connection to it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't want to be a big muscled body builder, but I greatly prefer my higher muscle mass (and higher body fat) look to that of a lower muscle mass that many runners seem to have.

IMG_4527.jpg

I'm the one in yellow. I prefer my arms and legs over the arms and legs of the two girls ahead of me. I'd love to be as fast as they are, because they cream my *kitten* in races. :embarassed: We're all in the same age group (35-39). They're not skinny fat. They have low body fat, but also a lower muscle mass.

And I'm not all that muscular, as you can see when relaxed in normal clothes. But I'm not anywhere near a "runner's build."

IMG_4601.jpg
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

And we've agreed on this before. I think what does make the difference is that many endurance athletes will use carbs instead of protein/carb packs for refueling thereby having an impact on lean muscle. But looking at that perspective of an endurance athlete, many aren't interested in any muscle gain at all since it affects their speed and time in their sport.
    I'll have to say that most people who concentrate only on cardio to lose that I've PERSONALLY known or met, were usually not the best in nutrition and lacked proper macronutrient content.
    Consequently I ALWAYS meet lifters who's body's don't change for the same reason.

IDEA Fitness member

God knows how Bill Rodgers and Frank Shorter were even able to stay upright.......
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't want to be a big muscled body builder, but I greatly prefer my higher muscle mass (and higher body fat) look to that of a lower muscle mass that many runners seem to have.

IMG_4527.jpg

I'm the one in yellow. I prefer my arms and legs over the arms and legs of the two girls ahead of me. I'd love to be as fast as they are, because they cream my *kitten* in races. :embarassed: We're all in the same age group (35-39). They're not skinny fat. They have low body fat, but also a lower muscle mass.

And I'm not all that muscular, as you can see when relaxed in normal clothes. But I'm not anywhere near a "runner's build."

IMG_4601.jpg

Your legs are fabulous!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like the way this guy explains it.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/

The long and the short of it is the only way cardio will burn muscle is if you are over training....and over training would be running for hours and hours each day. So, I'm pretty sure that I don't need to worry about that. There are studies he refers to that demonstrate that fact.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I noticed more body changes as I decreased cardio to focus on more strength training. I don't have flab around my belly and hips anymore like some women who weigh a lot less. I'm happier with my body than I ever thought I would be without reaching my goal weight yet and I think that is mostly because of strength training
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

Great example
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

1. if you dont regularly stimulate your muscle tissue you will lose muscle (use it or lose it)

2. cardio only will burn ur muscle IF
    a. you dont eat enough essential proteins and fats to preserve muscle
    b. you do too much cardio to the point where the body is under too much stress and breaks muscle down in order to become more efficient (cortisol)
    c. you are at an extremely low body fat % and basically there is only muscle to burn

3. martial arts and yoga contains some calisthenics which you can use to gain some muscle tissue but not a lot so you can have some of ur muscle tissue from that

.. cardio is not necessary to become lean and ripped that can be achieved through diet, so if that is ur goal to just have great aesthetics then cardio isnt needed* but it can accelerate fat loss. what is needed is a great diet and great muscle building program, because the metabolic advantages muscle provides far surpasses cardiovascular benefits concerning permanent weight loss. cardio is great for the heart and health of course, but not necessary to do to lose weight.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Penn State did a study and found that 22% ( on average) of a persons total weight loss will be made up of lean muscle if they only do cardio and not lift weights during their weight loss. This why most people who just do cardio while losing weight are not happy with their results even after they reach or surpass their goal.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

Lorina. Nice pictures. And your doggie is cute!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Penn State did a study and found that 22% ( on average) of a persons total weight loss will be made up of lean muscle if they only do cardio and not lift weights during their weight loss. This why most people who just do cardio while losing weight are not happy with their results even after they reach or surpass their goal.

I would wager a guess that this study involved a low calorie diet too.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who took the time to respond. I suppose I consider weight training to be specifically lifting... I also do HIIT classes with 8-10 lb dumbbels and medicine balls and such, so if that counts for muscle preservation that could be part of it, along with the martial arts. I also do Insanity videos at home, which have some jumping, pushups and the like.

Despite my pic, I don't run to lose weight specifically. I came here to learn how to eat to fuel my running. I love running and want to run farther and faster. I need to lose the fat to do that, but I have had trouble losing fat while training for endurance races because of the amount of fuel required to stay in performance shape.

Sooo... thanks again. If anyone has anything further to add to the conversation, I'd love to keep reading.