Potatoes = Good Or Bad???

Options
autumnk921
autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
I haven't had potatoes in quite a while until the other day & now have been eating one every couple of days with veggies on top...I have heard that you are NOT supposed to eat potatoes b/c they are full of starch but was wondering what everyone on here thinks about eating potatoes...Good Or Bad??

Replies

• grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't think potatoes are bad unless you eat too many.

Here is some info:

Potatoes contain more potassium than any other fresh vegetable in the produce department - even more than bananas. One potato has almost 900 milligrams, which is about 20 percent of what you need every day. Potassium is important for body growth and cell maintenance. It's also necessary for nervous function and for normal muscle contraction - including the heart muscle. Potassium is also an electrolyte that helps to balance the fluids in your body, which is important for healthy blood pressure.

Potatoes also contain substantial amounts of vitamins C and B6, which are vital for blood clotting, wound healing, a strong immune system, normal nervous system function and for converting the food you eat to energy. There's also a substance called kukoamine found in potatoes that may help to lower blood pressure, although more research is necessary to know for sure.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also try not to eat potatoes because of all the starch. If I'm going to eat one I eat a sweet potato. They're much more nutrient dense.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There's a guy who ate nothing but potatoes for 60 days. He lost weight, and all his blood work improved. There's nothing wrong with potatoes.

http://20potatoesaday.com/
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I will never give up potatoes, that is the one food I love too much. Nothing beats a scoop of mashed potatoes with a bit of butter on top!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with potatoes or starch.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Potatoes? Oh so good. Nomnomnom.
  • amyy010
    amyy010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    it depends how you make them, boiled with either none or a small amount of butter is fine, but fried/deep fried is a no no.

chips/crisps are the same, sunflower oil is the best to get them in

chips/fries are best oven cooked than deep fried with vegetable oil.

(im just guessin, i mean im 18 i have no idea haha, i think that im right :P)
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i don't think any foods are bad, you just have to watch how big your portions are and how often you eat them. also don't go adding too much fatty toppings to them. watch the calories.

a potato the size of your fist is a portion.
    and as long as you add them into your daily calorie allowance i don't think you should not eat them.
    eat them as part of your healthy diet and include them in your lifestyle.
    Thats what i think anyway.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I like a baked potato. Eat the skin, and it will help
    keep the triglycerides down. I usually eat most of
    the potato out of the skin, then roll the skin up and
    eat it like a little burrito! :tongue:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that dictates the avoidance of starch, there is no reason why you can't eat potatoes. But you should be aware that they have a high glycemic index so I wouldn't recommend eating them every day.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are pretty much THEE most perfect food in the world.

Couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't live without them.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Can you fit a serving of potatoes into your daily calorie/macronutrient budget? Then they're good.

Personally, potatoes are too delicious for me to ever give them up entirely, although I think I'm going to have to (1) limit them and (2) stick to baked or mashed as much as possible now, because I have this problem where if there are potatoes within reach of me, I will eat them. All of them. Even if they don't taste good. Cold, soggy leftover fries? Give them to me. Gross pickle or sea salt+vinegar flavored potato chips? Put them in my mouth. It's a real problem.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was researching the US Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, aka food stamps. They're essentially beta testing a "healthy food" program out in Massachusetts, in which beneficiaries can only use the vouchers to buy things like whole grains, produce, protein-rich foods -- "healthy foods." Guess what isn't covered by the vouchers? White potatoes.

That's when I finally decided to give them up, haha.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.

Potatoes are actually very healthy, it's how you might cook them that makes them unhealthy.

We eat potatoes once a week at least. I bake them, roast them like oven fries (yum!) or boil them.

Sweet potatoes are wonderful as well.
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Sweet potatoes > normal potatoes.
    Enough said.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    A small or medium potato every couple of days won't ruin your weight loss or cause you to pack on extra pounds. What you put on top probably makes more difference - smothering it in butter and sour cream will pack in the calories, while veggies on top makes it pretty good (I like broccoli, real bacon bits, and a bit of sour cream). Just account for everything in your food log, maybe get rid of one other starchy serving (lice rice, pasta, or bread) on a day you eat a potato. Oh, and eat the skins - that's where most of the nutrients are found, I understand.
  • JCDF
    JCDF Posts: 25
    Options
    Although potatoes have some good nutrition, like potassium, etc., I feel I am better off not eating potatoes. They are very high glycemic, and they are inflammatory. Those two things can play havoc with ones body over time.

Sweet potatoes are a much, much better choice.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was researching the US Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, aka food stamps. They're essentially beta testing a "healthy food" program out in Massachusetts, in which beneficiaries can only use the vouchers to buy things like whole grains, produce, protein-rich foods -- "healthy foods." Guess what isn't covered by the vouchers? White potatoes.

And our Congress, in its infinite wisdom, now counts pizza a vegetable.

Moderation.

Please pass the potatoes.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Sounds something like the WIC program here - nutrition assistance for low income pregnant & breastfeeding women, babies, and young children. They provide fresh vegetables, but not white potatoes. However, they also provide regular peanut butter, but not the healthier (by most people's opinion, at least) natural peanut butter.
    I think part of it is potatoes are more accurately classified as a starch, and they want you to get veggies. Plus, they aren't completely infallible. They make one get the store-name breakfast cereals, despite the fact that some of them don't have the same nutritional content as name brand, too.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do limit simple carbs and starchy foods but there is not much I won't eat. As long as I am in control and have decided for myself how much I am going to eat of it!