Potatoes = Good Or Bad???

Options

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The potato is the bane of most diabetics but for people who do not fear blood sugar spikes or who are good at balancing their meals they are a perfect food. Very versatile and a great main or side.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine. They have a low caloric density, and reasonably high nutrients-per-calorie. They are also delicious. If you smother them in butter, they will probably not be healthy, but that is not the fault of the potato!
  • svdreamer
    svdreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get the baby potatoes and eat one,oven roasted with a drizle of olive oil and mediterranean spices once and a while. As long as it is in moderations, it's not bad.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was researching the US Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, aka food stamps. They're essentially beta testing a "healthy food" program out in Massachusetts, in which beneficiaries can only use the vouchers to buy things like whole grains, produce, protein-rich foods -- "healthy foods." Guess what isn't covered by the vouchers? White potatoes.

That's when I finally decided to give them up, haha.

And our Congress, in its infinite wisdom, now counts pizza a vegetable.

Moderation.

Please pass the potatoes.

Ding! Fries are done.....

I cook them in the pressure cooker. It's fast, easy,
    and seals all the nutrients inside. They're on my
    healthy list if I ever find myself at a fast food joint.
    Baked potato plain, and a small chili. Maybe twice
    a month???

20680483.jpg
  • plyosteph
    plyosteph Posts: 17
    Options
    Potatoes are fine. They have a low caloric density, and reasonably high nutrients-per-calorie. They are also delicious. If you smother them in butter, they will probably not be healthy, but that is not the fault of the potato!

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm. Potatoes tonight it is!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I do limit simple carbs and starchy foods but there is not much I won't eat. As long as I am in control and have decided for myself how much I am going to eat of it!

Sorry, potatoes are not simple carbs. Fruits are simple carbs because they are simple sugars. Starchy foods are complex sugars. Please watch Dr. McDougall's lecture on starch.
  • galilanee26
    galilanee26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine for most people. It depends on how they are prepared and whether or not they trigger a craving for starches. I'm very careful with them for this reason.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I come from a long history of potato lovers. My great grandfather came to American because of a bad potato situation in his native land. :wink:
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The potato is the bane of most diabetics but for people who do not fear blood sugar spikes or who are good at balancing their meals they are a perfect food. Very versatile and a great main or side.

I was a type two diabetic, and I eat potatoes all the time (starchy foods actually). Please, stop the myth. I know diabetic counsellors say that rice and potatoes turn to sugar and then it will help you gain weight and raise your blood sugar and this is why 2 billion rural Chinese are so laden with chronic disease like type two diabetes.

Fat, is the bane of most diabetics. Yes, potatoes have a high GI, so what? how else are you supposed to get your energy from? Did you know candy bars have a lower GI than potatoes? Why not eat that instead then? Foods from mother nature (not GMO) is our best fight against becoming overweight, potatoes included.

Here is a brief summary on potatoes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgBL8f87FE
    Here is a lecture on starches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XVf36nwraw&feature=relmfu
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Most people think potatoes are evil because they are high carb food.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was researching the US Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, aka food stamps. They're essentially beta testing a "healthy food" program out in Massachusetts, in which beneficiaries can only use the vouchers to buy things like whole grains, produce, protein-rich foods -- "healthy foods." Guess what isn't covered by the vouchers? White potatoes.

That's when I finally decided to give them up, haha.

Please don't tell me you are basing your nutritional guidance on what the government says is good for us or what they will allow to be bought with food stamps. Here in Ohio you can buy pop, candy and chips with food stamps.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I like a baked potato. Eat the skin, and it will help
    keep the triglycerides down. I usually eat most of
    the potato out of the skin, then roll the skin up and
    eat it like a little burrito! :tongue:

:laugh: I do that sometimes! The skin is my favorite part!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I like a baked potato. Eat the skin, and it will help
    keep the triglycerides down. I usually eat most of
    the potato out of the skin, then roll the skin up and
    eat it like a little burrito! :tongue:

:laugh: I do that sometimes! The skin is my favorite part!

Same. I even save a little of whatever I use for the filling to roll up in there.
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As a fussy vegetarian I pretty much live on potatoes!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I prefer sweet potatoes. Regular potatoes are too bland for me.. I'd rather not add toppings to make it edible.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    They get a bad rep but they do have a nutrient base. I'd mix them up and unless you are diabetic I'd say they are good for you. But you'll see some diabetics give potatoes up first instead other less nutritious starches(white pasta, breads, cereals etc.) they still eat. I'd say give up the potato last.

I've been reading a lot on Gerson Therapy(which has been pretty much curing some cancers for YEARS) and one book by his daughter. She talked about how her father found that most chronic diseases come from too much sodium in the cells. This includes type 2 diabetes. They have too much sodium and regardless of what blood tests show at the cellular level they are showing to be potassium deficient and having excess of sodium. When I get my library card reinstated I think I'll go in search of the hundreds of sources they quote because I'd really really love to read more on that. It would make a lot of sense, given our processed, packaged foods full of sodium and void of potassium especially when they can seem so much easier on the budget than produce.

I think a plain baked potato with onions and salsa is soooo yummy. Or with broccoli with or without cheese.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    We loooovvveee baby reds roasted either on the grill or in the oven.

In fact they are on my menu with burgers for tomorrow!!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great. They are very high in potassium, which is essential. It's when they're fried that they aren't good for you. Remember to eat the skin as that is where the majority of their nutrients are located.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes BECAUSE of the starch. Starch is a polysaccaride, aka complex carbohydrate. Its great for people who do a lot of exercise and need the added fuel from complex carbs.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SWEET POTATO!:heart: