Special K

Options

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    It happens,,,

Did anybody try my chicken rolled in Special K crumbs?
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    omg, I LOVE :love: Special K, especially the ones w/ the blueberries. omg, delish! The only problem w/ me is that I love cereal, so it's really hard for me to only eat the serving size so next thing you know the whole box is gone in like 2-3 days :embarassed: :sick: :embarassed: So, I no longer eat it :grumble:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Well you still gotta practice portion control. If you eat twice as much 1/2 calorie food you're back where you started.

I use a scale - often eat 1-1/2 servings with 1/2 a cup of 2%. 1-1/2 servings of Special K is still very light.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I like to crush the Special K into crumbs, add some garlic & herbs, roll chicken breast strips in it and fry in a little EVOO. Lite-lite-lite & good. Almost like real fried chicken.

Save calories on the Chicken and I have room left for the beer. Guinness, extra dark. You gotta live a little. :drinker:

OMG you smart smart man! I want to try this right now! My gym has a KFC next door! How mean is that!

228826.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

LOL, KFC keeps your gym in business:wink:

We have a burger king next to our gym.. you HAVE to walk throught it to get out the place!! THAT'S not fair.. especially when you LOVE:love: their ice-cream deserts in the summer!!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I guess in everyone's eyes, I am the new Dave198, LOL

:laugh:

Lol you made me chuckle... Hey.. i think what you said was fine!! Just had a mamoth read of the thread.. Its perfectly fine!
  • larthur
    larthur Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LeanLioness' info is correct. And the fact that it's nearly impossible to get away from it is also true. You just have to make as many good choices as possible. I think Special K is a huge step up from a bag of chips.... but I wouldn't touch it :smile: but I don't eat any kind of cereal.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Yes HFCS is bad, but what about all the hormones and antibiotics in our chicken, beef, pork. Everything out there is bad. I watch labels, but you still can't trust all the farmers with what they are doing on their ranches. I know I eat only organic cereals, but still sometimes I wonder if they are telling the truth....:wink: Food for thought:wink:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes HFCS is bad, but what about all the hormones and antibiotics in our chicken, beef, pork. Everything out there is bad. I watch labels, but you still can't trust all the farmers with what they are doing on their ranches. I know I eat only organic cereals, but still sometimes I wonder if they are telling the truth....:wink: Food for thought:wink:

I get farm raised, grass-fed beef, fresh pork, free range chicken, eggs, raw milk and cream from a family farmer that I know does not use any hormones, anti-biotics or commercial feeds. Their animals are left to graze for their own foods.

I grow some of my veggies, get fruit from a family member and what I can't get, I purchase from my Neighborhood Coop or from Farmers Market.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I get farm raised, grass-fed beef, fresh pork, free range chicken, eggs, raw milk and cream from a family farmer that I know does not use any hormones, anti-biotics or commercial feeds. Their animals are left to graze for their own foods.

I grow some of my veggies, get fruit from a family member and what I can't get, I purchase from my Neighborhood Coop or from Farmers Market.

WOW! You are truely blessed to have access to such wonderful options! I'm planning to build my own garden by next summer and someday move to a warmer climate where I can have more land.
    I admire your dedication to your health.
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Special K Blueberry is like my guilty pleasure:tongue: - I get where the HFCS thing comes in but like many of you have said..vs a bag of Lay's Potato Chips? Or maybe just another cereal you're addicted to that contains even more? Really?? I myself am tempted and can be very sensitive on the issues with weight loss/fitness. So all we can do is take it one day at a time and choose as many healthy choices as possible. Hasn't every single one of us fallen off the wagon at some point? Whether it be first starting you're new kick or just craving something different? It is always nice to have a support system in play with these kinds of things so that we CAN help each other make better decisions, get new ideas, share information..but let's be supportive because we all know it's not so easy!:flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

By USDA standards, in order to be free range, a chicken only has to have access to the outside. It doesn't actually have to be outside at any point in time. This probably isn't the case with you because you know the farmer but I feel like the the term is often deceiving. To actually get poultry that is what most people think of as free-range, they generally must buy certified humane or cruelty-free.

It's just a pet-peeve of mine that the USDA permits such deception. Off my soap box.

Side note: I pretty much don't eat cold cereal anymore because I have a really hard time stoping at less than 4 servings.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

The last I heard farmers couldn't sell or give away fresh milk unless is was labeled as pet food. We live in Arkansas, good luck finding a dairy farm in our area, it's all beef. When we go north we have a friend that we get some milk from.
  • sarabear
    Options
    I'd LOVE to have these options, unfortunately I live in a climate where we have four major season changes, I buy from the farmers market and grow a lot of my own and buy beef and chicken from a family here that I know well. As for milk I buy a family farmers brand here in Nebraska. It's great milk! It is in glass bottles and you return them, you have to pay a deposit on them. In the winter it's tough to get some of the veggies and fruits. I just find it hard to believe and can't help but wonder are all the farmers, when I go to the grocery store, are they REALLY growing/raising this organically??? Again I live in a small town and find it silly and too expensive to drive 2 hours to Whole Foods. I know it's helping me out and in the long run I'll be healthier and thus creating lower doctor bills. But right now, I don't seem to see that as a good reason.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

The last I heard farmers couldn't sell or give away fresh milk unless is was labeled as pet food. We live in Arkansas, good luck finding a dairy farm in our area, it's all beef. When we go north we have a friend that we get some milk from.

Check out this website. You can click on your state and find where Raw milk is sold straight from the farm. I get mine in a 3 gallon bucket and then let it sit so I can skim the cream off the top. I make home made whipped cream and butter. Wanting to get a yogurt maker so I can begin making my own raw yogurt.............

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I'd LOVE to have these options, unfortunately I live in a climate where we have four major season changes, I buy from the farmers market and grow a lot of my own and buy beef and chicken from a family here that I know well. As for milk I buy a family farmers brand here in Nebraska. It's great milk! It is in glass bottles and you return them, you have to pay a deposit on them. In the winter it's tough to get some of the veggies and fruits. I just find it hard to believe and can't help but wonder are all the farmers, when I go to the grocery store, are they REALLY growing/raising this organically??? Again I live in a small town and find it silly and too expensive to drive 2 hours to Whole Foods. I know it's helping me out and in the long run I'll be healthier and thus creating lower doctor bills. But right now, I don't seem to see that as a good reason.

Well, I stopped eating some of the fruits and veggies that are not available to me with in that season. I buy organic romaine lettuce (organic girl brand) and I live in a rural area in the Midwest so I know about 4 season changes..............I live in Southern Illinois myself.

We have a Neighborhood Coop that gets their produce and most meat from Amish farms, so I trust that it is organic due to how the Amish live. If I can't get meat from the farm that I normally do, then I will get from the Coop.
  • TRUBRIT
    TRUBRIT Posts: 3
    Options
    Special K is great but anyone checked the sugars ???
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Special K is great but anyone checked the sugars ???

That is what started the debate.....................Special K contains HFCS
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Check out this website. You can click on your state and find where Raw milk is sold straight from the farm. I get mine in a 3 gallon bucket and then let it sit so I can skim the cream off the top. I make home made whipped cream and butter. Wanting to get a yogurt maker so I can begin making my own raw yogurt.............

Awesome Link LeanLioness! Thank you so much! All the farms are way too far for me to drive to, however, I found one that makes weekly deliveries just two cities away from me!!! So glad I checked this thread today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock!
  • sarabear
    Options

Awesome Link LeanLioness! Thank you so much! All the farms are way too far for me to drive to, however, I found one that makes weekly deliveries just two cities away from me!!! So glad I checked this thread today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock!

Thanks for the info! I now found a pork supplier!!! YEAH!!! I haven't eaten pork in forever because I couldn't find a hormone free farmer! My daughter cannot have anything with hormones in it, even though the government says that this doesn't hurt anyone, her levels go crazy when she does! Hmmmm maybe someone in the government should check into our way of living instead of giving free health care............But that's another topic :) Thanks again Lean Lioness!
  • CasperO
    Options
    Edit,,, delete, no need to be snarky.