How to dress for dinner...

Options

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My husband wears mosty button up Tommy Bahama shirts & Jeans when we go out. I wear anything from a t shirt to a fancy dress, depending. But no hats - that would killme.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I understand your point of view, and my wife would agree with you but honestly I just dont care. If its a really high end place sure I would dress up but if its a regular resturant then im going to wear my hat, shirt, and pants.

You should care for your wife's sake, especially if she agree's with our points.
    I do care, like said nicer place i dress up, other places i dont.

Do you take your hat off at Applebees?
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    I feel like i was raised pretty differently than a lot of people I know or see.

To me it's not acceptable for hats to be worn indoors let alone at the dinner table. It's not respectful. I actually had an ex who wore hats EVERYWHERE. It was the only reason my family hated him. Kinda funny actually.
    I notice too that people don't dress up the way they used to whether at fine dining or the theatre. The theatre is what gets me. To me that's where you dress up VERY nicely. I remember when suits and evening gowns/cocktail dresses were worn. Now Ripped jeans and hats are worn. It takes away from the magic in my mind but that's kind of how our society is going with the casualness.

I can't dictate how other people are so I just dress nicely as do the people I tend to go with. The only people I would really care about are how my significant other dresses (and he dresses pretty nicely all the time so its not a big deal) and like... family, cause they're the ones who raised me to feel this way. I just find it kinda sad that people don't like to get all razzle dazzle anymore.

I've got a date coming up that we've changed from just normal date night clothes (nicer shirt/jeans/shoes) to me wearing a shirt/tie/shoes and her wearing a nicer dress. All for the hell of it.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Of course, it didn't affect my meal, and has no affect on my life...

You hit the nail on the head right here. It had no impact on you, so why do you care? Personally, when I go to a nice restaurant I dress appropriately, but that is my choice. If the restaurant cared that much, they'd have a dress code. I'd also note that in the past, no one would consider jeans to be "nice" under any circumstances. Even places like skating rinks and arcades commonly disallowed jeans at one point--just something to think about before one makes statements about how people are getting lazy, rude, etc.. Things change, if it doesn't impact you (or if in the case of your bf, you like the way it impacts you), I don't see why it matters.

It's just embarrassing as an American. That's all. I am often embarrassed to admit I'm an American.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    should we go back to the time where people got dressed up for dinner at home? and while we are at it lets bring back "finishing classes" for the ladies. a proper lady wears gloves to dinner right?

I actually went to cotillion when I was 11. No joke. My parents thought a nice southern young lady should go to etiquette classes. We had to wear gloves and dresses, learned proper place settings, learned how to waltz, it was so incredibly ridiculous.To this day my mom apologizes for putting me through that haha

But I do think people in general are forgetting their table manners more and more these days...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

To me it's not acceptable for hats to be worn indoors let alone at the dinner table. It's not respectful. I actually had an ex who wore hats EVERYWHERE. It was the only reason my family hated him. Kinda funny actually.
    I notice too that people don't dress up the way they used to whether at fine dining or the theatre. The theatre is what gets me. To me that's where you dress up VERY nicely. I remember when suits and evening gowns/cocktail dresses were worn. Now Ripped jeans and hats are worn. It takes away from the magic in my mind but that's kind of how our society is going with the casualness.

I can't dictate how other people are so I just dress nicely as do the people I tend to go with. The only people I would really care about are how my significant other dresses (and he dresses pretty nicely all the time so its not a big deal) and like... family, cause they're the ones who raised me to feel this way. I just find it kinda sad that people don't like to get all razzle dazzle anymore.

I've got a date coming up that we've changed from just normal date night clothes (nicer shirt/jeans/shoes) to me wearing a shirt/tie/shoes and her wearing a nicer dress. All for the hell of it.

I love that! I think it's fun to get all gussied up sometimes. We do that from time to time, just for the fun of it.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    Of course, it didn't affect my meal, and has no affect on my life...

You hit the nail on the head right here. It had no impact on you, so why do you care? Personally, when I go to a nice restaurant I dress appropriately, but that is my choice. If the restaurant cared that much, they'd have a dress code. I'd also note that in the past, no one would consider jeans to be "nice" under any circumstances. Even places like skating rinks and arcades commonly disallowed jeans at one point--just something to think about before one makes statements about how people are getting lazy, rude, etc.. Things change, if it doesn't impact you (or if in the case of your bf, you like the way it impacts you), I don't see why it matters.

It's just embarrassing as an American. That's all. I am often embarrassed to admit I'm an American.

Agreed.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a hat to dinner, regardless of the place. Fast food, fancy, normal, ever. I was taught it's respectful to remove your hat when eating.

I always prefer to be over dressed. Better to look nice than to make an impression on someone and have them talk about it later (like you're doing, not that that's bad).
    [/quote]

Ditto!
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    Urg! Don't get me started on table manners :P Everytime I see someone chew with their mouth open or have elbows on the table I cringe a little bit.

My parents sent my sister to an etiquette class cause she had bad table manners, etc. My grandma seemed to drill mine into me pretty well and I got the old wooden spoon to the back if I didn't sit/stand straight. I know it's old fashioned but there's soemthing nice about treating meal times asspecial times. If you're going out its on a date or something fun/special... its nice for it to be special. Even at home (while I don't expect dressing up) it's nice to treat it as a great time to catch up with my loved ones and have table manners.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I understand your point of view, and my wife would agree with you but honestly I just dont care. If its a really high end place sure I would dress up but if its a regular resturant then im going to wear my hat, shirt, and pants.

You should care for your wife's sake, especially if she agree's with our points.
    I do care, like said nicer place i dress up, other places i dont.

Do you take your hat off at Applebees?
    I guess if my wife wanted me to sure, if I am just there drinking with my buddies nope.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options

I think that's pretty awesome! i like making a special time FEEL special.
  • amosjo
    amosjo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hubby rarely wears hats at all, and never at the table, so that's not an issue for us. I agree that hats should be removed at the table though.

My problem is he dresses like a slob and at times it's downright embarrassing. I have had to ask him to change on several occasions and of course he's always offended by that. His idea of "dressing up" is wearing dark jeans and a shirt with no holes or stains. Since that's a huge improvement, I have to take what I can get. I like to dress up when going to a nice restaurant, though. I always wonder if we look mismatched to other people.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My Dad about had a cow because one of my nieces boyfriends kept his baseball cap on at the dinner table. So we have all been conscious of that.

I live in a college town and the majority of the restaurants are casual. I do notice when the students are obviously going for a special dinner/date that the baseball caps disappear. It's nice to know they are trying to impress someone... their date I hope! LOL The local HS just had prom and not a single baseball cap from the kids we saw eating out downtown too.

It would be nice is some etiquette was still ad heard to these days. My mom was a stickler growing up but then she was from a generation where that was all important. I wasn't allowed to wear black as a child because it was considered improper... a color of mourning! Also they didn't make a ton of black clothes for kids either. Might be why I bought so much of it in college!!! LOL

In our family it's Thank You notes. No one writes them anymore. I was even taught how to write a proper thank you note in High School. My step kids were in college when I met their Dad. That first Christmas together I made them write Thank You notes and they had never done it before.
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I only like to wear tiny sombreros to dinner.

Bill, you are obviously a man at peace with your inner Charo. That's awesome...Cuchi-cuchi!!

I have to say that I find it easier to go naked. That way you can just hose off any crumbs..... just sayin'
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I went to a wedding a couple weeks ago and a handful of guests were in jeans! At a wedding ceremony in a church! I have no idea what is wrong with people.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I never understood the hat at the dinner table rule. People get so bent out of shape about it you'd think you just kicked their dog or something. It's not hurting anybody, it's not offensive or annoying. Well, people get annoyed but for no valid reason. Why should I take my hat off and show my hat head just because of some old school rule?

And if people are dressed down for dinner I just assume they were out and about and didn't have time to come home and change, or didn't really care. If someone wants to get their panties in a bunch about something I'm wearing that's their problem, I really couldn't care less.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    in England is it not acceptable to wear a hat in doors, period & especially whilst eating. Shows a total lack of manners to not take your hat off when you enter a building. As for people wearing baseball caps & trucker caps unless playing baseball or driving a truck.... YUK totally fugly both of them.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I never understood the hat at the dinner table rule. People get so bent out of shape about it you'd think you just kicked their dog or something. It's not hurting anybody, it's not offensive or annoying. Well, people get annoyed but for no valid reason. Why should I take my hat off and show my hat head just because of some old school rule?

And if people are dressed down for dinner I just assume they were out and about and didn't have time to come home and change, or didn't really care. If someone wants to get their panties in a bunch about something I'm wearing that's their problem, I really couldn't care less.
    thank you!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    $100 for 2 people really isnt that much(you could spend that at a national chain like Fridays if you have a few drinks). so for me i wouldnt put too much thought into what i wore to a place like that nor would i care what others were wearing. id probably wear t shirt, shorts and flip flops.

if i was on a date or it was at a nice restaurant i would certainly think about my attire.

It's not a HUGE amount, but for two people w/ 1-2 drinks, it's a decent price.

$100 at Friday's? Maybe if you get two apps, two entree's, two desserts, 4-5 beers a piece and tip $20. lol

Hahaha... that's what I was thinking.

Well at least this is one thing I don't have to complain about my husband about.... He knows how to dress in more upscale resturants... too bad we haven't seen one since Legal Seafood (and yes, that was upscale for us at the time... we were interns).
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    We can't afforfd to eat at any upsale places,
    so I don't have to worry about wearing a suit,
    and tie.

We ate at the Mexican restaurant yesterday,
    and all the Mexicans in there were wearing
    cowboy hats. Can't say I was bothered by it.
    Personally, I hate hats! They're itchy, and make
    my head sweat.

It's hot down here, so most of the time I wear
    shorts, a loose fitting performance tee, and
    a pair of New Balance.

If I ride the V65 Magna, I'll put on a pair of jeans,
    gloves, and my Joe Rocket jacket. (that's getting dressed up!)