Do you eat carbs in the morning or night?

Options

Replies

• AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    All day, errday.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes I do.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I try to spread my carbs out over the day. If I try to go super low at any one meal, I crash HARD. I almost passed out at the gym one day because I had only had like 10 carbs and then ran 3 miles. So now I eat a 20 carb breakfast (11net) and there have been no repeats of the lightheaded episode. I also easily go 4-5 hours until lunch. Food almost doesn't interest me anymore....
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat carbs whenever I damn well please.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Don't eat carbs after midnight, or you'll turn into a really lame special effect that looks so bad when you watch it again.

GremlinStripe.jpg
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters.

^this^

Doesn't matter. Studies have shown it doesn't matter what time of day you eat or what you eat at that time of day. None of that makes a difference. Eat whenever you feel comfotable eating.
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    I stop eating carbs after 4 PM - my trainer made a good point - you eat it at breakfast and lunch when you are most active (during the day) and then at night you sleep - so I dont eat bread/oatmeal/etc after 4 I get my carbs from veggies and fruit. Hope this helps!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I eat them throughout the day, but I try to avoid eating pastas and stuff like that.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all day long and still see great results. Trainers are good for getting you to work out but doesn't mean they have a solid nutritional background.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the majority of my carbs in the morning. After 5 I eat only a few if none.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    nope. i only eat "afternoon carbs". i'm so glad the fda has made companies distinguish what carbs are best to eat during different parts of the day as part of the package nutrition details. except daylight savings time always messes me up.

Wha????
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    A little here, a little there. It's all good
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Grains, wheat, starches I mostly avoid but if I eat them, I eat them during the day. I don't like eating them at night, I feel like it just sits there in a lump in my stomach. At night I have mostly meat and veggies and fruit.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    Why can't you work off carbs at night? Your body doesn't shut down you know.

Umm.....of course it does but I've never known anyone to exercise while they sleep. When you are sleeping your body does burn calories, you're right; uhh....but only like 2 calories per minute. Now, the people I know, want to burn more than that. That is why people do not eat a heavy carb dinner past a certain time of day because you will NOT burn it all off while you are sleeping!!!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Whenever a carb finds its way on to my plate!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all day long and still see great results. Trainers are good for getting you to work out but doesn't mean they have a solid nutritional background.

^ Agreed.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I eat them whenever I want them!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Why can't you work off carbs at night? Your body doesn't shut down you know.

Umm.....of course it does but I've never known anyone to exercise while they sleep. When you are sleeping your body does burn calories, you're right; uhh....but only like 2 calories per minute. Now, the people I know, want to burn more than that. That is why people do not eat a heavy carb dinner past a certain time of day because you will NOT burn it all off while you are sleeping!!!

But the issue here is that it makes no difference whether or not you burn off the most recent food item that you ate. What matters is that over the course of long periods of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. .

By just taking a snapshot of what happens when you eat those nighttime carbs, you're focusing on the short term and ignoring what happens in a larger time-frame.

If you're eating in a deficit, you're not going to put on fat over the course of time regardless of when you eat.

For example, if I eat ALL my calories right before bed and I store a bunch of fat, I'm just burning that off the next day during my non-eating time and it balances out.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I stop eating carbs after 4 PM - my trainer made a good point - you eat it at breakfast and lunch when you are most active (during the day) and then at night you sleep - so I dont eat bread/oatmeal/etc after 4 I get my carbs from veggies and fruit. Hope this helps!

^^^This...and I do think timing of carbs and protein matters because of glycogen levels....

I do not eat any sugar carbs or breads after 4pm either...Only green veggies and lean meats at night....

It works for me...
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Whenever... I try to maintain some sort of variety depending on how the day pans out. Choosing a time to eat carbs would probably just make me feel controlled.