Do you eat carbs in the morning or night?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why can't you work off carbs at night? Your body doesn't shut down you know.

Umm.....of course it does but I've never known anyone to exercise while they sleep. When you are sleeping your body does burn calories, you're right; uhh....but only like 2 calories per minute. Now, the people I know, want to burn more than that. That is why people do not eat a heavy carb dinner past a certain time of day because you will NOT burn it all off while you are sleeping!!!

2 calories per minute is actually quite a lot. There are 1440 minutes in a day (24 hrs) so if you burn 2 calories per minute while asleep that would put you at a BMR of close to 2880 (depending on how much tossing and turning you do while asleep).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^^^This...and I do think timing of carbs and protein matters because of glycogen levels....

If you're performing multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events then yes, carb timing matters. If not, then you just need to replenish glycogen sometime before your next training bout. Since most normal people eat between workouts (assuming 1 workout per day) then it's not an issue. No need to shuttle dextrose into dem muscles if your regular dinner is going to replenish glycogen before it's needed next.

It works for me...if you want to see why...I will kindly show you my abs...

I wear black pants every workout. Clearly my black pants are the reason my weighted pullups have increased.

Do you see the flawed logic here?
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my carbs at night, because I enjoy eating most of my food at night.

^^^ this^^^

I don't get very hungry during the day. Night time is my favorite time to eat for some reason. Its probably because I like to eat with my hubby when I get home.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

I wear black pants every workout. Clearly my black pants are the reason my weighted pullups have increased.

Do you see the flawed logic here?

No the logic...is I have been doing this long enough to know what works for me...I use to not worrry about my timing of carbs...it wasn't until I started studying about glycogen levels and timing of when to take supplements, eat protein, and eat carbs...Once I got that down...was when I got to 6% body fat...

For me it works...for you it may not...I have done the other way...AND IT DIDN'T work...I lost body fat % when I stop eating the carbs at night but keeping same Calorie intake....Thanks for your reply
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

^^^This...and I do think timing of carbs and protein matters because of glycogen levels....

If you're performing multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events then yes, carb timing matters. If not, then you just need to replenish glycogen sometime before your next training bout. Since most normal people eat between workouts (assuming 1 workout per day) then it's not an issue. No need to shuttle dextrose into dem muscles if your regular dinner is going to replenish glycogen before it's needed next.

Does working out twice a day count? AM run with evening lift?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why can't you work off carbs at night? Your body doesn't shut down you know.

Umm.....of course it does but I've never known anyone to exercise while they sleep. When you are sleeping your body does burn calories, you're right; uhh....but only like 2 calories per minute. Now, the people I know, want to burn more than that. That is why people do not eat a heavy carb dinner past a certain time of day because you will NOT burn it all off while you are sleeping!!!
    Umm... If your body shuts down you DIE. And guess what? If you don't burn off all the calories you ate at dinner, you will keep burning them off the following day.
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    I usually crave high carb foods at night... and do believe if I eat most of my high carbs during the day I have a better chance of burning them off.. But I'm 47 years old and my metabolism is slowing down... In my younger days I don't think it really mattered when the bulk of my carbs was consumed...
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm 300g @ Carbs at midnight.

kobayashi.jpg
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually crave high carb foods at night... and do believe if I eat most of my high carbs during the day I have a better chance of burning them off.. But I'm 47 years old and my metabolism is slowing down... In my younger days I don't think it really mattered when the bulk of my carbs was consumed...

I eat carbs all day, I think if I was doing any serious training it might really make a bigger difference but right now I'm just focused on trying to keep my calories straight and dropping the weight, if I dont see any progress soon, I may look at it again.
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer had me taking in only 120 carbs (that's when I was thin) a day. Most at breakfast the least and last at dinner. I'd have up to 75 at breakfast and only 30 at dinner. Now -- who know how many I'm allowed. I still make sure though that most of them are in the morning and not after 7:00 or so at night.
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    nope. i only eat "afternoon carbs". i'm so glad the fda has made companies distinguish what carbs are best to eat during different parts of the day as part of the package nutrition details. except daylight savings time always messes me up.

Wha????

I have to second that... Wha?????
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

If this is what you're doing then you'd be best off consuming carbs in between those two events.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    nope. i only eat "afternoon carbs". i'm so glad the fda has made companies distinguish what carbs are best to eat during different parts of the day as part of the package nutrition details. except daylight savings time always messes me up.

Wha????

Whoosh!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

If this is what you're doing then you'd be best off consuming carbs in between those two events.

Makes perfect sense...because I run on an empty stomach..and I crush a high carb and protein natural shake after my AM run...and I eat brown carbs and fruit carbs all day before I go workout which is around 5ish...and I don't eat anything but green carbs at night....Those things were the most succesful for MY goals.
  • nothappyfat
    Options
    I think that as long as you are in ur cals for the day you are safe.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Wha????

Whoosh!

good, so it wasnt just me........that made me kinda dizzy.......
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the 'scientific' facts behind the great and mysterious carb - but for me I eat them through out the day. I just watch my portions and keep within my calorie range and macros.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I try to eat them earlier in the day or before a workout.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    Is it good or bad to eat carbs like a boss?
  • amchavarria
    amchavarria Posts: 12
    Options
    I think if you really want to watch your carb intake it is best to eat them early and not late. My trainer suggests a protien rich dinner and carbs in the morning. I love bread so cutting it out sucks. Sometimes i eat Ezekiel bread. Its in the freezer section and if you toast it, it can be ok.....