Candida outbreak...finding out you have one!

Options

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have done the candida-free diet; it's tough.

I also failed at it, however have gotten candida under control through the use of apple cider vinegar, extra virgin coconut oil, and probiotics.

blessings.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could go that long without my mercury.

Same here. I'd likely start breaking open thermometers to get a fix.

But seriously - WTF?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP
    I am not a doctor but I am a biochemist. I have had some issues regarding yeast so I too did quite a bit of research on this.
    First I want to say - I really think the whole candida systemic infection is a load of crap. The reason I say this is because I have done a lot of work in the pharmaceutical industry. And they will throw money at any study if they think there is a chance to increase indications for medications. And yet as much as they would love to prove systemic yeast infections they can not.
    Second if you have allergies they probably have very little to do with the amount of yeast in your body.
    You didn't specify what you think this yeast is doing to you. Is the problem digestive or vaginal? Either way a treatment like diflucan can eliminate the yeast. It wont hurt you cut back on bread and sugar but these are only small factors IMHO.
    Adding a probiotic can also help.
    If the problem is vaginal it is due to something creating an alkaline environment. This can come from oral contraceptives, sperm and other soaps. And can be aggravated by non-cotton underwear as well as douching. The best thing you can do for this is boric acid pills. DONT EAT THEM. You insert them vaginally.
    Please get a second opinion but your family physician or ob/gyne prior to taking on a drastic diet change.
    PM me if you want more info.

It's an intestional issue, not vaginal. and i'm also not spending any money on any products, so no one is benefiting from my diet theories, just trying different probiotics (on my own accord) and meal ideas.
    thansk for the feedback though!
    I once had someone suggest Candida as the culprit for some digestive issues I was having. Turned out to be an ulcer. Why not schedule an endoscopy? Im glad you are open to everyone suggestions!
  • sleepytexan
    Options

I was soooooooo sick in 2010 and made many trips to the ER and to doctors, but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Long story short they had me on medz that made the candida worse :sad:

I found a mid-wifery/LPN who made me get tested for allergies and for candida. Found out I'm allergic to wheat and had such a high level of candida that she has only ever seen one person worse than me. I had to take diflucan and go on a low carb diet for a month to kill off the candida.

But I'm doing pretty good now and I can eat fruit and sweets and non-wheat pasta & grains. Although I'm trying to be good with the sweets because I am trying to lose weight.

Good luck!!!!:flowerforyou:

Anita

ugh I took diflucan for 2 months and it didn't help at all. ACV and EV coconut oil are the way out!
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    very helpful info! bump for later
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Very interesting!

I actually just got back from the doctor today, and found out that I'm not allergic to anything other than cats and dogs! I was hoping to find out that there were some other things I was allergic to, but no! Back to the drawing board for me.

You were *hoping* to find out if you're allergic to something? That seems twisted, to me.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ok I know I am not the only one that read this as Canada instead of Candida

No you aren't
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Candida sounds too technical. I'm allergic to sciencey sounding names, can't we call it something simple?
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/candida-cleanse/AN01679

Many practitioners of alternative medicine use the term Candida to refer to a complex with broad spectrum of symptoms, the majority of which center around gastrointestinal distress, rashes, sore gums and other miscellaneous symptoms. Candida is accorded responsibility for symptoms as specific as hay fever, as vague as "brain fog" and as common as weight gain or flatulence. These symptoms are attributed by some alternative medicine practitioners to the "overgrowth" of intestinal Candida albicans, which they claim leads to the spread of the yeast to other parts of the body via the digestive tract and bloodstream.[19]
    Use of the term Candida in alternative medicine to describe this complex is unassociated with its use in clinical medicine to refer to the fungus that causes vaginal yeast infections and thrush.[11][12] This can be confusing for patients. No studies have proven that having intestinal candidiasis causes any symptoms of illness.[11][12]
    To treat what they refer to as Candida, some alternative medicine practitioners have recommended avoiding antibiotics, birth control pills, and foods that are high in sugar or yeast, ostensibly to "eliminate excess yeast" in the body. However, there is little clinically valid evidence that these "Candida cleanse" treatments treat intestinal candidiasis effectively, or cure any of the symptoms claimed by the proponents of the hypothesis.[11][12]
    The probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii has been shown to diminish levels of intestinal Candida in mice.[20] This is therefore one of the specific probiotic strains often recommended by alternative medicine practitioners alongside a more general probiotic, for anyone on a "Candida cleanse" or "Candida diet".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida_(fungus)

Saccharomyces is yeast (of the kind familiar to beer drinkers). Candida is yeast. So it looks like Saccharomyces out-competes Candida in these mice.

I wonder if the latter causes any adverse effects ever.
    Edit: I mean the former. Duh.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Candida sounds too technical. I'm allergic to sciencey sounding names, can't we call it something simple?

Yeah. Yeast.

Yummy!
  • AWME
    AWME Posts: 12
    Options

oh man! i hear ya! i'm on a million things... probiotics, liver supplements, all a few others i have no clue what they do! in 3 days i've noticed a big difference. i feel wayyyyy better! it's the meals i'm strugglign to get creative with! you rock, thanks again!

It would probably be to your benefit to research what all of your meds / supplements do. It's possible you're taking meds you don't need. This is prob unrelated to your candida, but I doubt you want to be spending money on and pumping yourself full of unnecessary meds / supplements.

I hope you find a diet or med / supplement that relieves your condition.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    my wife had this we coudnt have sexy time for a week she got all red and ichy she used some egg pills in her v area to get rid of it i dont know if u can maybe take them oral insted
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The EXACT SAME THING is happening to my friend right now. After seeing what she goes through, I feel for you. Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The good news is that once you eliminate all of that from your diet, you will hit your goal in no time.

I feel so sorry for you. I totally couldn't do it! How bad is candida in the blood stream? Isn't that the same thing as blood poisoning? Can't they give you anything for it?

(on a side note: I have a friend named Candida and I often feel sorry for her. I mean WHAT was her mama thinking?!)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Candida just means white in Latin...remember that and you're golden
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    OP...I feel for you. I suffered from Chronic Candida for years. I found a cranberry supplement and a great probiotic with the company I work for and no longer have the problem. I hope you feel better soon!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here wondering how her brain will survive considering the ONLY thing our brains use as enegery is glucose and nothing else? After three months of absolutely no glucose for your brain to live on.... I'm pretty sure you'd be brain dead...
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    The good news is that once you eliminate all of that from your diet, you will hit your goal in no time.

I feel so sorry for you. I totally couldn't do it! How bad is candida in the blood stream? Isn't that the same thing as blood poisoning? Can't they give you anything for it?

(on a side note: I have a friend named Candida and I often feel sorry for her. I mean WHAT was her mama thinking?!)

Oh, my Candida! We can make it together! (I loved that song when I was a kid).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Oh, my Candida! We can make it together! (I loved that song when I was a kid).

It's a song???
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Check out http://bodyecology.com/... I read the book and it was pretty fascinating and eye-opening. I'm not sure if I have or had candida (I'd be interested in getting a blood test) But I was following a lot of the concepts (probiotics, cultured veggies & coconut water, green juice, etc) It's all good for anyone's digestion and well-being.

Glad some people refuted the antibiotics comment, because antibiotics cause a highly acidic environment in the body that causes candida to thrive. PROBIOTICS are the answer!