Does your 8 glasses of water have to be water??!

Options

Replies

• steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The latest recommendations from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, Dietary Reference Intake for Electrolytes and Water say -

"The fluids consumed do not have to be only water. Individuals can obtain their fluids from a variety of beverages and foods. Contrary to popular opinion, consumers do not need to consume "eight glasses of water a day" to meet their fluid needs.”
  • Gerry_Lane
    Gerry_Lane Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree with steve1686.....Tea and coffee, while they are liquids...are also diuretics....You can actually become dehydrated by drinking coffee/tea all day

Gerry
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I find it amazing that people will answer questions when they truly have no idea what the correct answer is.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree with steve1686.....Tea and coffee, while they are liquids...are also diuretics....You can actually become dehydrated by drinking coffee/tea all day

Gerry

No this is not true - the actual fluid you drink with the coffee and tea provides you with significantly more fluids than the actual diuretic effect of caffeine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    WATER = WATER = WATER! :drinker:

Artificial flavoring, colors, tea, unsweetened or not is NOT Water.:sad:
    Tea, coffee, wine, juice = LIQUID
    And some are dehydrating = drink MORE PLAIN WATER

A doctor told me years ago that we don't wash our clothes in tea, right?!!
    Same applies here..........

WATER = WATER = WATER! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Water may be water, but it is not the only thing that you can count as fluid intake which is the point of the question.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I find it amazing that people will answer questions when they truly have no idea what the correct answer is.

I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?

Answer

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.
    I agree with most of what you said, except that coffee has some health benefits that plain water doesn't have (e.g prevent cancer, Parkinson's, diabetes) so unless a person has some negative side effects there is no real reason to chose water over coffee.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Some people find it easier to restrict themselves to hard and fast rules that others make for them, ie. water is water, tea is tea. Whatever. It's all hydrating, which is, actually, the point.

If I'm drinking water, I usually get in two or three cups, since that is what my body tells me it needs. However, if I'm drinking water with decaffeinated, flavored, tea bags dunked in it, I usually get about 8 - 12 cups, since it tastes yummy and helps keep me full.

Hydration needs are different for all individuals. Scientific American puts it well:

"The [Food and Nutrition] Board, [now part of the National Academy of Sciences's Institute of Medicine] revisited the question of water consumption in 2004. Its panel on 'dietary preference intakes for electrolytes and water' noted that women who appear adequately hydrated consume about 91 ounces (2.7 liters) of water a day and men about 125 ounces (3.7 liters). These seemingly large quantities come from a variety of sources—including coffee, tea, milk, soda, juice, fruits, vegetables and other foods. Instead of recommending how much extra water a person should drink to maintain health, the panel simply concluded that "the vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide...

"Water requirements depend so much on outside temperature, activity levels and other factors that there isn't one rule that fits everybody... So how much water should you drink? Here's their advice: If you have specific medical concerns, talk to your doctor. But if you are healthy, Rolls recommends that you "have a beverage with meals and drink when you are thirsty.

"In other words, heed your thirst signals, enjoy that watermelon, and stop feeling guilty for not guzzling those extra glasses."

~ Scientific American
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

^^this

Emphasis on the word "beverage" in the last sentence of the penultimate paragraph - beverage, not water.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Answer

I agree with most of what you said, except that coffee has some health benefits that plain water doesn't have (e.g prevent cancer, Parkinson's, diabetes) so unless a person has some negative side effects there is no real reason to chose water over coffee.

That wasn't me, that was the Mayo Clinic. But you bring up a good point. Coffee and tea both have health benefits that water does not. ~Drink up~
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Answer

That wasn't me, that was the Mayo Clinic. But you bring up a good point. Coffee and tea both have health benefits that water does not. ~Drink up~
    You're right, I should have said what you had posted not said.
    (Now when I read my reply, it's sounds like I could be sarcastic, but really not meant to be:smile: )
  • Timkoetta
    Timkoetta Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Other stuff helps keep you hydrated but not as well as water. Nothing works like water. 8 glasses should be the MIN ammount but you would do good drinking more. If I drink 12-15 cups a day I feel dehydrated. I think 18-20 is good for me but you have to find what feels good for you. :drinker:
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    MFP has a water intake counter because most people don't think about their water intake and this helps (just like it helps people track what they are putting in their mouth by tracking calories)

BUT as all the posts from mayoclinic etc show, there are plenty of ways to hydrate your body and get the recommended water intake every day. You don't need 8 glasses of water.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Water intake needs to be WATER INTAKE. If this was negotiable, the little ticker thingy would read "liquid consumption" instead of "water consumption." Not to be too blunt, but, suck it up and drink the water. How important is this to you?

blessings,
    sam

I agree with this and even I have trouble making my goal sometimes.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    why doesnt unsweetened tea count? lets say you took the tea leaves and put them into a salad instead and ate the salad and also drank the water you were going to use for tea. you are still consuming the tea and water but separately. would that water count?
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    okay.. water is water.. as long as you have 2 litres of liquid a day it is okay.. what ever it is! it makes up the liquid that you drink!!

tea. coffee or coke its all liquid

if your a big coffee drinker then the caffeine in the coffee wont dehydrate you because your body has gotten use to the effects so it wouldn't have the same effects on your body
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    I count tea or coffee that is decaffeinated as a cup of water (as long as it's 8 oz, of course). I don't count sodas that are without caffeine as water though.

It gets a little boring drinking just water. I don't know about counting vegetables as that though.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    So long as the 'dilutable squash' is diluted with 8 glasses of water, then yes :P

^^^ this xD
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    i count water bubbly or still, tea (if it is unsweetened and low in caffeine (green, white or herbal), "flavored" water (floating fruit, herbs or spritz of juice, drink tablets).

Not on my list: soda, coffee, milk, undiluted juice.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    No! It can be in soup, any beverage (including coffee and/or tea with caffeine!!) ,yogurt, fruit, smoothies, fruit bars, popsicles, oatmeal, anything with liquid and anything you add liquid to. (That's what my Dr. told me) It's also 8 8ounce cups of water, more like an 'on the rocks' or juice glass, not 8 huge glasses or bottles of water.
    Per my Dr., I judge my intake by the color of my pee. If it's light colored or clear, all is good. If it's dark, I drink more. You want it to be clear or you are at higher risk of getting kidney stones and they arent fun! Also, if you work out and sweat a lot you may want to make sure you stay hydrated.
    If you're having problems drinking enough, try what I do. I drink 8oz of something with my morning vitamin, 8 oz with my oatmeal, 8oz with a snack, 8oz or more with lunch, 8oz more with another snack and 8 with dinner and if I snack yet again, 8 more later on. If I still need more, I'll drink a glass of diet koolaid or whatever before I go to bed. After you do this for a while you don't even think about it anymore.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    CRYSTAL LIGHT is my BFF!
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I only count actual water consumption. I keep a bottle with me at all times when I'm in the office and DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!!! 2 weeks - no soda!!! GO me!!!! lol

I am also two weeks soda free! Congrats to both of us. I raise my glass of water to you :smile: