Would you have said something...

Options
suzikay12
suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
Here is the situation. This past weekend I was out boating with a group of friends. We are not always the tamest or most modest group on the water, we come with a definite R rating. Another friend, who goes out with us sometimes brought his new girlfriend and her 12 year old son with him. The boat owner made it clear that our boat would not be child friendly this weekend and said they should find another boat. At this point, I would like to say, we DO have child friendly boating excursions. This just happened to be the first weekend out and the adults wanted to drink and party. We all have children of our own and would never want them to see us acting like idiots.

So, the friend and his girlfriend did find another boat to board with the kid. I know the people on the other boat, they are friends too but they are more R rated than we are. I personally wouldn't have taken my child out with them. But, it wasn't my child and therefore, not my place to make the call.

Our boats go our separate ways. Later in the afternoon, both boats end up on the same sand bar. The people from the other boat are totally out of control drunk. The friends girlfriend included. She is flashing her boobs and all kinds of stuff. Needless to say I was 100% disgusted and appalled that this was going on with her 12 year old there. (If no kid was present, then I could care less)

I didn't say anything to her but it is now two days later and I'm still thinking about it. I wish I would have said or done something. I have a feeling this is probably going to happen more often this summer unless my friend wises up and dumps this chic so I am wondering what you guys would have done, if anything.

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation. This past weekend I was out boating with a group of friends. We are not always the tamest or most modest group on the water, we come with a definite R rating. Another friend, who goes out with us sometimes brought his new girlfriend and her 12 year old son with him. The boat owner made it clear that our boat would not be child friendly this weekend and said they should find another boat. At this point, I would like to say, we DO have child friendly boating excursions. This just happened to be the first weekend out and the adults wanted to drink and party. We all have children of our own and would never want them to see us acting like idiots.

So, the friend and his girlfriend did find another boat to board with the kid. I know the people on the other boat, they are friends too but they are more R rated than we are. I personally wouldn't have taken my child out with them. But, it wasn't my child and therefore, not my place to make the call.

Our boats go our separate ways. Later in the afternoon, both boats end up on the same sand bar. The people from the other boat are totally out of control drunk. The friends girlfriend included. She is flashing her boobs and all kinds of stuff. Needless to say I was 100% disgusted and appalled that this was going on with her 12 year old there. (If no kid was present, then I could care less)

I didn't say anything to her but it is now two days later and I'm still thinking about it. I wish I would have said or done something. I have a feeling this is probably going to happen more often this summer unless my friend wises up and dumps this chic so I am wondering what you guys would have done, if anything.

Here in Mass, someone could call Social Services on something like that! I would say something to your friend.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Tough call.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I would have told her that unless she was going to breast feed him... to put them away.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    That is a tough call. No kid should be put into that circumstance, especially when their mother is being that irresponsible. Honestly, I would bring it up to the friend and just ask if it happens a lot. You know, as casually as possible. I'm not really sure what even that could do, though. I'd say if it happens again, then I would do something. I wonder if someone did end up saying anything...
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I personally love my boobs and when am drunk usually tend to bring them out... with that being sad... I am not dumb. When there are children present it is ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING AT ALL! That is not right! I would have said something to my friend if it were me. But then again, I don't ever keep my mouth shut. I say whats on my mind 99% of the time! Good Luck!
  • suzikay12
    Options
    That is a tough call. No kid should be put into that circumstance, especially when their mother is being that irresponsible. Honestly, I would bring it up to the friend and just ask if it happens a lot. You know, as casually as possible. I'm not really sure what even that could do, though. I'd say if it happens again, then I would do something. I wonder if someone did end up saying anything...

I wish I knew if someone else said something. I would like to be of the "it's not my problem" persuasion but obviously it is still weighing heavily on my mind. :frown:
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    that kid's future girlfriends are going to be awesome.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I might bring it up lightly almost like a concern for how embarrassed she must be, " OMG ______ you must have been so embarrassed after you sobered up and remembered you showed your boobs in front of your 12 year old. I know we all do stupid things when we are drunk but I hope your 12yo doesn't tell everyone, you know how kids are these days."
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am glad you don't boat around where I do. You people appear to be the kind that eventually run into a family and kill someone because everyone is drunk and think that because it is a boat and not a car it is ok.
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    yes you should have.
  • suzikay12
    Options
    All I know is I am glad you don't boat around where I do. You people appear to be the kind that eventually run into a family and kill someone because everyone is drunk and think that because it is a boat and not a car it is ok.

We have a 100% sober driver but thanks for your judgement anyway.:flowerforyou:
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Not your kid, not your problem. Butt out.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

I agree with this...
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Was the kid a boy or girl?

If a boy, she's training him right. If its a girl, she raising her right

^ You disgust me. :mad:

Anyhow, I think since you don't know the woman that well, it is not your call to say anything to her about it. Hopefully she feels sufficiently disgusted at her behavior already and it will not happen again. If you were her close friend perhaps you would have some sway with her and could have told her to cool it. Next time, just make sure if she comes the kid is NOT around or don't go.

As for doing anything other than saying something to her, I don't think you can report her to any authorities or anything.

Let it pass, there is nothing you could have done, short of telling her bf to take them all home (if he were capable). :frown: And be thankful that you were raised right and you are doing the same for your own little ones.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    that makes me sad.......
  • Paxtonite
    Paxtonite Posts: 22
    Options
    No good would have come from saying something while you were all drinking. Like you said, bring it up with your friend in a roundabout way. Ask him to leave the kid at home for future adult-only weekends.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    My dad's side of the family and friends are just like that. R rated, hard partying out camping and boating, drinking, naked people, & boob flashing. I was around it starting at a young age. I think I turned out alright. ;)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago, to "never tell another woman how to raise her child" not from personal experience, just from personal observations.

If you are that truly concerned, maybe talk to your friend about his girlfriend, are they serious? Maybe the kid is used to that 'environment' (sad but true). Get a feeling about her demeanor about child rearing from him, you could say, "I'm just concerned because he may have gotten hurt and she wouldn't be coherent enough to react appropriately"

I was in a situation where some friends had gotten really drunk and their child was a rambunctious 2 year old pulling dishes onto the floor, and getting into mommy's purse. I didn't say anything to the kid, (not my kid) but 'mommy' did get angry when all of her lotion and lipstick was smeared all over the inside of her purse.

Regardless, they knew the situation was not going to be 'kid friendly' and still chose to participate. IMHO-She probably didn't care what her child was exposed to.
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    I think I would have said something to the friend that brought the partying girlfriend. As his guest he is responsible for what happens with/to her. she was totally wrong to have her child there and to be behaving like that. I'm not a prude, but there is a time and place for everything and that wasn't the right place or time.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Was the kid a boy or girl?

If a boy, she's training him right. If its a girl, she raising her right

^ You disgust me. :mad:

I'm glad my post got to someone. Honestly, it matters not what anyone but the OP thinks. And the fact that it is in the past, means nothing now.

Edit: And I have 2 kids of which I am smart enough to understand how I want to raise them and what I subject them to.