Would you have said something...

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I think the question to ask is what you want to accomplish. If you speak to her, it would probably just offend her and she wouldn't listen. You could speak to your friend; he might have a little more influence on her, or be able to leave the kid at home next time.

But really - it's not your kid and it didn't happen on your boat. It's just a stranger doing things you don't approve of.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    What your friend's friend did is inexcusable. That's probably how she got pregnant in the first place! Any RESPONSIBLE mother would leave their child with a sitter and plan on having "adult" time OR bring their child with and not consume alcohol to the point that they are displaying poor judgement. My kids are teenagers and I could probably count on one hand how many times they've seen me drink alcohol. However, I might want to leave my kids at home and join you on your next boat trip! LOL.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    I wouldn't have said anything, but I definitely would have written something about it on an internet forum later.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    All I know is I am glad you don't boat around where I do. You people appear to be the kind that eventually run into a family and kill someone because everyone is drunk and think that because it is a boat and not a car it is ok.

We have a 100% sober driver but thanks for your judgement anyway.:flowerforyou:

lol ^^ haha

I love how some people are being so judgemental. Anywho, I don't drink, but if I did drink socially or whatnot, I for sure wouldn't get drunk if I had a child with me. That's a little out of control. I would say something, but say it casually and not judgementally :)
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Script:
    "Remember when we went boating and [your girlfriend] was kinda out of control. Have you two talked about that?

It's still bothering me, because I don't think most kids want to see their mom's boobs. He could have been really embarassed. She seemed like a really fun person, and I think maybe she got carried away and forgot he was there. Does she normally get drunk with him around?

Well, I'm sure she loves her kid, and we should definitley invite the two of them back when we're doing something kid-friendly. I just don't want to see her son put in that situation again."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    It's not your business.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    What's done is done. Going forward I would STRONGLY suggest to your friend that they don't bring his girlfriend's 12 year on a booze cruise again, it's child endangerment and they put everyone at fault on that boat if something bad were to happen.
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    That's my script for an after-the-fact conversation.

If I had been around when it happened, I probably would've said, "Yo, there's a kid here! Not really appropriate." Then I would've stood my ground or removed the child to another area, if possible.

Then again, I'm a former social worker...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    All I know is I am glad you don't boat around where I do. You people appear to be the kind that eventually run into a family and kill someone because everyone is drunk and think that because it is a boat and not a car it is ok.

We have a 100% sober driver but thanks for your judgement anyway.:flowerforyou:

Dude seriously, my friends and I can get kinda crazy out on the water, but our driver is ALWAYS 100% sober. We might be party animals sometimes, but we're not stupid.

Anyway, it's a REALLY tough call because his guardian, his mother, was wasted. That's a safety concern. If I had my son with me out on the water, I'd stay sober, and I wouldn't bring him on a boat that I knew was going to be that kind of party. That's for grown up only time. I might ask the friend if they made it home ok, or if the boy had fun, that way it would seem like you were more just making conversation, and then let the conversation go from there, maybe ask how he felt about her son being there or ask how they're getting along. People get super touchy when their parenting skills are questioned, even when it's a completely valid concern.

That said, I can't imagine anyone thinking it's actually acceptable to behave that way in front of their non-adult children (or adult children for that matter...God help me if my mom ever flashes anyone in my presence).
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    It's not your child, and not your business.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    I would have said something.

Next time try to agree ahead of time not to bring kids. I'm sure the kid was horribly embarassed, but also you people sound like terrible role models for young almost teens. Not that you shouldn't do whatever you like when you're by yourself, but I know I wouldn't want my sons to witness a bunch of adults drink until they're out of control.

Poor kid. No one deserves a mother like that.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    It's not your child, and not your business.

Ridiculous.

I reserve the right to judge any drunken idiot mother I ever come across, and to make sure she knows I think she's trash.
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    IDK.. If saying something would have helped or done any good anyways.. Just think what the kid can see at home!

I'm very mouthy, So I would have called her a trashy ***** or something.. For doing that in front of here kid!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    ehhh they are just boobs who cares
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Nope. I wouldn't have said anything. As long as the 12 yr old wasn't in harm's way. Bad parenting isn't illegal.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    ehhh they are just boobs who cares

I would normally agree with this statement except that they were his moms boobs and that makes my skin crawl
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    I'm not sure how this is the GF's fault if the father brough his daughter along, was warned about how rowdy things were going to be and HE didn't look out for the best interest of his daughter. I'm not a fan of blaming the significant other b/c the parent is not parenting. Or did I totally read this post wrong?
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    I'm appauled to think that any parent would act that way around their young child...I know I wouldn't...there is a time and a place, and a thing called baby sitters...I guess I don't know what I would say if anything as I am not the childs parent, but I would be hoping that the kid flashed a photo and posted it on facebook so the mom could feel a little bit of embarrassment for her actions around her child? Tough situation.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    I think I would have said something to the friend that brought the partying girlfriend. As his guest he is responsible for what happens with/to her. she was totally wrong to have her child there and to be behaving like that. I'm not a prude, but there is a time and place for everything and that wasn't the right place or time.

agree!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member

you have a point but you made an error here..........and that was in your judgement
    tsk tsk you know what happens when you assume...................