My number one dieting tip- what is yours?

Options
12346»

Replies

• yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Fruit is not as good for me as I thought. Sadly, neither are avocados and nuts. Beef jerky is loads better than I thought though, so long as I drink water, not beer to go with it ;)

Careful with what the dieting mindset can do to you! Low cal does not = 'good for you' and High cal does not = 'bad for you'. Avocado and nuts are packed with good fats, vitamins and minerals. They are much healthier than processed red meats!

I know. Thing is, I already eat LOADS of fish so there's no shortage of omega 3 fats. And, the only food supplement I take is cod liver oil (works wonders on my joints) so if anything, I should probably cut down on fats in general. So if I choose: fish or nuts/avocados, I'd rather keep eating fish :P

The problem is, the fruit I love best is fairly high in both sugar and fat: coconuts, mangos, oranges... A banana or a kiwi, or an apple or a pear are much better for me, and I make sure to eat some every day, but I simply don't like them as I love my mangos.
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My #1 diet tip is to not listen to 90% of the diet tips you hear, to be quite honest. Every body is different. What works for one person might stall the progress of another. It's all about finding out what works for you. This is a change your making and sustaining for life, so you have time to try different things and see what helps you and makes you feel happy too.

One of the most important things I had to realize was that every little mistake would not ruin me for the day or the week or the month. You can make a mistake, but don't make an excuse. The only thing that will ruin your diet is giving up on making any progress.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    "I know. Thing is, I already eat LOADS of fish so there's no shortage of omega 3 fats. And, the only food supplement I take is cod liver oil (works wonders on my joints) so if anything, I should probably cut down on fats in general. So if I choose: fish or nuts/avocados, I'd rather keep eating fish :P

The problem is, the fruit I love best is fairly high in both sugar and fat: coconuts, mangos, oranges... A banana or a kiwi, or an apple or a pear are much better for me, and I make sure to eat some every day, but I simply don't like them as I love my mangos. "

Well, I think you raise another important point here. You say you LOVE mango and coconut, but you eat apples and pears regularly instead because they are lower in fat and sugar.

But what about the issue of making this sustainable for the rest of your life?

I would say that one of the most important things I have learned is to try to only eat food I LOVE! That goes for both healthy and unhealthy food.

I'll pass on industrial, mediocre cake, as it isn't worth the calories, but treat myself with a luxurious home made cake another day. It also means that I'll eat the fruit and vegetables I love (in my case pineapple, strawberries, sweet potato, aubergine, mushrooms) rather than stuff I feel 'blah' about (cauliflower, kiwi, carrots). All while trying to stick to my calorie limits, of course! I feel much more satisfied that way, personally!
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I agree that everyone is different. :)
    I have lost and gained a lot of weight over the years, now I have found 2 things that are really important- NEVER give up- every one makes mistakes /has a blowout, etc, but just MOVE ON!!
    The other is you MUST exercise, in my case it has to be every day, and you get to actually look forward to it, especially when you see the changes in your life, for instance, I got breathless just making the bed!- and my first walk around the block? OMG I thought I would have a heart attack. Today I walked briskly for 90 minutes and was not even puffing. ( I only started my new lifestyle ( NO D words please) in February. :D So it is achievable for anyone who wants to make their life healthier.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If it grew from the ground - eat it
    If it had a mother and father - eat it
    If it came from a factory - don't eat it.

Also - portion control!

I like this one, cannot wait for my tomatos to be ready to pick
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Know yourself.

Know what exercise program you will actually enjoy enough to stick with.
    Know what little tricks you are using to cheat in your logging, and stop them.
    Know what changes you as an individual need to make, whether its more protein, less fat, fewer carbs, whatever, and make them.
    Know what bad habits will sabotage your progress (keeping snacks around, not preparing ahead, whatever) and change them.

None of this will work if it's not sustainable.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on what you are eating and when you are full, stop! That means you should not be distratced while eating, so don't eat lunch at your desk while looking at the internet, and don't eat dinner while watching TV. If you concentrate on what you eat your stomache will start telling you when you are full.
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My #1 diet tip is to not listen to 90% of the diet tips you hear, to be quite honest. Every body is different. What works for one person might stall the progress of another. It's all about finding out what works for you. This is a change your making and sustaining for life, so you have time to try different things and see what helps you and makes you feel happy too.

^^^^ That
  • jheartj95
    jheartj95 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love these tips!!