Do you look before commenting?

Options
Sooo, out of curiosity... xD Who here actually looks at people's diaries before they comment? Like, really looks? I do for each of my friends. I try to make suggestions if I see something (I hope you all don't take it personally I'm just trying to be helpful) ;D and I'm open and honest about my diary. I log every ice cream sammich and cookie lol. I enjoy the feedback as well, harsh or not. But I am constantly seeing comments on people's daily diary submissions with a "WTG", or "awesome job" etc when the person is barely eating. Not all the time, but quite a lot.

Personally, if I see one of my pals only netting 200 cals, I don't say "wtg", I say, "try and get those cals up", "your body needs more fuel for a workout like that," "you can do it!" etc. I especially see a lot of people not even hitting the 1200 cal mark PLUS burning a crazy 900+ cals the same day. I think this could actually damage someones mentality if you say "awesome job", I mean, you're basically congratulating them for barely eating, so they could take that as, "oh okay, eating less is good," you know? It's not healthy at all in my eyes so I try and make suggestions. My feelings are this, I actually care about my friends and want to see them achieve their goals as much as I want to see my own success. I love this site more than others around the web because of the great community support, and I feel I should try and be as helpful and supportive as I can be, since I want that in return. But regardless of my opinion, I'm curious to hear other peoples views on this, so... who else actually looks over their pals diaries before just reading "___was under his/her calorie goal" and saying WTG! xD

Replies

• gettin2fit2quit
    Options
    I do!
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Heyyyy girl whazzup!!!! xD lol
  • FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    I look all the time. Not just when commenting. I want to see how others do it. Always cheer on when my friends do well
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You know, honestly, I had not been. Then, I read another article, kinda like this one, and now i do random checks. Sadly, have defriended 2 people who regularly eat under 1000 cals a day. Told them why, of course. Sad, but true.

But, do it more often now, cuz I also cruise their meals looking for good eat's! I get bored with my meals..celery, salt. celery, salt. day after day..lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I never comment on diaries.
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    I look all the time. Not just when commenting. I want to see how others do it. Always cheer on when my friends do well

I'm glad to know there's others who feel the same. :) I love the fact that we're not so alone on this journey, we have amazing people backing us up! :D
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    You know, honestly, I had not been. Then, I read another article, kinda like this one, and now i do random checks. Sadly, have defriended 2 people who regularly eat under 1000 cals a day. Told them why, of course. Sad, but true.

But, do it more often now, cuz I also cruise their meals looking for good eat's! I get bored with my meals..celery, salt. celery, salt. day after day..lol

That is sad, I've seen a lot of this epidemic lately and you're not alone, I've defriended as well. I offered support but I couldn't take the negativity any longer. and YES!!!! I love stealing my friends meals, some things I never would've thought of are my favs now! :D
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I don't look at diaries. Personally, I think it's weird to comment on what someone eats unless they ask. In fact, my diary used to be public, but I didn't like it when people would comment on what I ate....so I made it private. Eh... just my two cents.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes if I have enough time, but normally I just comment. There was one friend that was at about 1000, but I don't like just talking out against people so I just casually said, if that was me, I would be excited to have enough calories for a snack. I don't like insulting people when I see it, and there are usually too many times where I don't have time to check.
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    I don't look at diaries. Personally, I think it's weird to comment on what someone eats unless they ask. In fact, my diary used to be public, but I didn't like it when people would comment on what I ate....so I made it private. Eh... just my two cents.

I guess it could be, it makes since why some of my pals don't list theirs then. It's cool, I want to see others opinions too! :wink:
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    But that's exactly why those settings are there. if you don't want people commenting on your diary, lock it down. That's totally acceptable. I believe if people do have their diary unlocked to friends, then they're welcoming feedback. So yep, I give it - and expect it in return. I generally try to be constructive about any feedback I give, or I'll question something instead of accusing. Except for the one RL best mate I have on here - I let rip with her, hahaha.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I stopped commenting on diaries for the most part. My friends know where I stand on food/TDEE/fueling your workouts. They are also adults and only they can keep themselves 'in check'. I would also hate to tell someone who's trying very hard to eat more, that they aren't doing good enough- it's akin to public humiliation to me.

If a friend wants me to comment on their diary- I trust they will let me know. 90% of my support I offer through non-diary updates.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I look all the time. Not just when commenting. I want to see how others do it. Always cheer on when my friends do well.

^^ This is what I do also.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I usually comment only on exercise. I don't give "atta-boy/girls" for being under the calorie goal and to be honest I don't have time to directly read items unless I am explicitly asked.
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always check! I agree with you, no WTGs unless they are over about 1100 cals, unless I know for a fact that tey are on a doctor recommended LCD.

I even get frustrated when I accidently complete my diary after breakfast and I get a "wow, good job today. I love oatmeal!" So... you saw that I had 170 cals and still said good job? No!!!

I don't normally comment on it when its under though, unless they are blatently posting things suggesting they have an ED and have changed their cal goal to around 300 :( I'm always nice though and never pushy, just a suggestion that weightloss and healthy living works better when you eat ATLEAST 1000 cals. Just there for support in their time of need I guess, I dunno
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    i never comment on diaries because i never look at diaries.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    yup i look, i check the macros, the good and the bad and i applaud them because they tried that day. And if they went over, they were honest enough to log that in and i would applaud them for that too. I check their diaries because i want to encourage them and also it gives me ideas for meals and ingredients. I eat low carb...so when some friends eat something yummy, i feel happy for them. They're my friends.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I always look and comment. I never just say "Great Day!!!" unless I really thought it was a great day. I like to personalize it too, like comment about something yummy they had or some weird thing I'd never heard of. I have actually found a few of my favorite things by stalking my friend's diaries.

I don't advise, because I'm not sure I know enough to be handing out good advice. If it looks extremely low or something, I might ask them if they're alright.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do read the diaries. I like learning from others. I read fast. It is easy to read 'em all.